• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Awesome Decks and Strategies

Years
Im still very new to the TCG experience(5 months). I have built a few decks and play with my friends, but last month I entered the Pokemon City Championship here in my city. It was an amazing experience!!!
I built a very strong deck! But I was beaten due to some AMAZING strategies !!
I thought I was gonna win with my Pokemon having a high HP,strong attacks using little energy cards, but oh well...

• what kind of decks are you building?
• what kind of strategies are you using ?

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Hey Chrisaur, you seem quite new to the Pokemon TCG meta-game !

There are plenty of deck choices around currently, it all depends which one you would like to play. You can check out sites such as Sixprizes, The Top Cut and Pokegym/Pokebeach will have Pokemon fans posting their deck lists or what they are currently working on.

If you want a small summary of the meta-game currently here are the top decks currently:
Blastoise/Keldeo-EX/Black Kyruem-EX
Darkrai-EX variants
Hydregion variants
Coballion-EX/Kling-Klang
Terrakion-EX/Garbador/Mewtwo-EX
Eelektrik variants
Tornadus-EX/Lugia-EX/Mewtwo-EX

There are probably a few other decks out there and the list above is in no particular order. There is no "unbeatable" deck which is the most popular right now, the closest in popularity could be Blastoise using Keldeo-EX and Mewtwo-EX or Black Kyurem-EX.

See which one takes your interest and then you can look into the strategy of that particular deck.

Years
At the core of your defeats was something you probably overlooked: your Trainer cards. Good decks use a lot of good Trainers, especially ones like Professor Juniper to draw cards with, and ones like Level Ball and Ultra Ball to retrieve Pokemon from your deck. Give these a good look. These are easy to get. The expensive cards are ones like Pokemon Catcher (a must-have trainer in any deck, which is why it's so expensive) and the staple Pokemon in powerful deck archetypes like Blastoise/Keldeo and Darkrai.

Years
What strategies beat you?

Most of them had strategies using Pokemon abilities from Pokemon on the bench.
I remember one guy had Eelektriks on his bench , with the ability to get back Lightning energy cards from the discard pile. I think he had like 3! and then with a Black Kuyrem and a Zekrom being his active Pokemon. And then he had like 4 "N " and Pokemon communication cards. so basically he didnt have to draw cards and rely on cards in his hand. So each time I was drawing my cards from my hand, I had to shuffle them all back in, cause he kept on using "N" each turn.

Thanks so much for all your help Renpuu! Im gonna check out Pokegym/Pokebeach right now !!

oh yes donavannj , I have a few good Trainer cards in my one deck. I have the Pokemon catcher, a few Pokemon communications, and few energy retrieval cards. and then Cheren.

I was really hoping on beating some good players with strength, cause I have 4 Reshirams, a White Kyurem and a Kuyrem EX card in my deck. and then the rest are Arcanine and Volcarona and Ninetales, allowing some burns, but I never got to draw all them.
so it seems I need a good strategy, and not just rely on strong Pokemon :)

Thanks for all your help !!

Years
You also need to focus on certain Pokemon. I'd suggest reading up on the top decks over at a site like www.sixprizes.com or checking out The Top Cut on YouTube.

Oh thanks so much !
Where can I post my deck information and you can tell me how effective it is in battle ? Like, which cards is totally unnecessary to have in my deck, and what I should rather put in ?

I currently have a fire and water themed deck

Wanna say THANK YOU again !!!!!!

im on sixprizes now and LOVING it !!!! its really really amazing how people build their decks , it looks crazy at first, but when you realize how each card has a function and how well they work together....its amazing! thanks ! :)

Last edited:

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
If you have a deck currently, you can post your deck list in the deck reviewing. Just make sure you read the rules before posting, such as post your deck strategy and what you want the deck to do and what cards you are currently using.

Back