• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever been bullied/teased for liking Pokemon?

Years
Okay, this may seem like a very odd question to ask, but where I live in the UK...being into Pokemon by the time I got into secondary school wasn't too hot, I got bullied beyond beleif for a whole variety of reasons, but in Year 7 this was one of the main ones, as for some unknown reason, the fact it wasn't common made it so beyond wrong to like it and it was "Old" "Soo last millienium nerd!" "babyish!" etc, and it drove me to the point of insanity (it was why I went out of Pokemon for quite a few years)

I was wondering if others had similar experiences?

Rinji

srsly.
Years
Heh, when I was in 3rd grade and pokemon had just become EXTREMELY popular, I was bullied like crazy for not knowing anything about it :P Then, a couple of years later, I was an absolute pokemon fanatic, and was bullied just as much for liking it! XD

Children are crazy, crazy things. :P

Barboach

As we know it.
Years
Eh, I'm still bullied for liking it. So now I try not to tell anyone I like it in my school. :/

Years
Yeah, I didn't know about the pig dung ignorant way the teen world worked, as in Year 6 everyone went crazy when the first Pokemon Movie came out here, but in Year 7 I...yeah...I learned some horrible but true lessons about humans and acceptance that year...

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2018
Yeah Unfortunately,

Five years ago EVERYONE of my friends liked it. Then two years later it started getting old. So we started to stop talking about it. Then one year later, my friend teased me for playing it. It was harsh. Right now, I play it secretly. My best friend In Real Life likes as well, so we keep it a secret to ourselves now. We still do Wi-fi battles often. It's too bad everybody has to keep it a secret to everybody. I have to tell him in secret about stuff. I hope someone stands up for us and tell the people who tease us, tells them off.

Rinji

srsly.
Years
Right now, I hang out with the 'geeks' who like most video games :P So we all play pokemon..

Anti

return of the king
Years
I'm very vocal about my hatred of pop music/culture, etc. I keep pokemon a secret however. Not something I'm proud of, but I really must. I say I play it to make money, and the kids at my school believe that, though they kinda forgot. When they bring it up I use that excuse. Even my siblings are rough, so no one, not even my parents know. Really, it's a sad day when somebady gets mocked for something they like. I really wish kids/teens would just be okay with what people like. It's more childish than pokemon ever will be, even the anime. MAybe they're the real children...

Rinji

srsly.
Years
I'm very vocal about my hatred of pop music/culture, etc. I keep pokemon a secret however. Not something I'm proud of, but I really must. I say I play it to make money, and the kids at my school believe that, though they kinda forgot. When they bring it up I use that excuse. Even my siblings are rough, so no one, not even my parents know. Really, it's a sad day when somebady gets mocked for something they like. I really wish kids/teens would just be okay with what people like. It's more childish than pokemon ever will be, even the anime. MAybe they're the real children...

Amen. :/

Everyone seems to be such a hypocrite these days.

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
Years
Sometimes...

It was bad last year when I drew and talked about Pokemon. The weirdest comment was something about marrying Pikachu...I know...

And then when I was in Kindegarden-1st grade, I got bullied sometimes because everyone said Pokemon was for boys and they all called me freak.

Gabri

m8
Years
I would get bullied if all my classmates knew I like Pokemon. Here in Portugal it isn't popular around the teenagers. So, when they watch me playing it, I tell them that the reason is "so I don't wander around doing nothing", but really it is better than doing nothing XD. Few guys yell at me because they say Pokemon is for kids.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
My sister teases me. I don't think it matters what people are into though~

It's sad that people can't just respect each others' hobbies.

Cacttus

Sigh
Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2016
i've never been teased i mean my older sister ask why do i play it but i really dont care what people say about me its not like my rep in school is gonna go down I learned that many people in my school still play it so im not alone im turning 15 this year and still play infact im getting pokemon revolution 2 weeks from now on my B-day

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Years
I've never been teased, but if I do, I'd pick on the person because they like Naruto, which is more or less babyish than Pokemon.

PoisonOwnzYou

//SEETHER\\
Years
Amen to all of you. I totally agree, if people learned that I liked pokemon then they would probably make me an outcast. Even my dad is pretty harsh about it, I almost completely gave up on it because my own dad ragged on me for liking something. Sometimes he can be so childish.

Years

Amen to that, as Rinji said

teenagers tend to be the worst for respecting people's hobbies, it's all about "being normal" (define that please?)

to be honest it would feel so shallow, being into Pokemon just while it's "in" and then just dumping it, same with anything

Anti

return of the king
Years
Amen to that, as Rinji said

teenagers tend to be the worst for respecting people's hobbies, it's all about "being normal" (define that please?)

to be honest it would feel so shallow, being into Pokemon just while it's "in" and then just dumping it, same with anything

That's why buying ipods to be cool is a waste, and listening to trashy songs to be cool. Trends change so fast, and teens are unforgiving if you're no "cool." Really annoying, but maybe I'll open up and basically call them the children for being so judgmental. I thought a hooby was something you liked to do, not the cool thing to do. *points at username* now you understand my username a bit more...why be hatin' pokemon? Very difficult (wifi battles, not ingame).

Years
I thought a hooby was something you liked to do, not the cool thing to do. *points at username*

what's a hooby? :P

But yes, I got so sick of that feeling in secondary school, that I was always doing something wrong in a load of people's eyes because seriously, football and R&B were to say quite popular where I live in the UK

Also, how am I a nerd when some of these guys collect football cards? Oh wait, that can't be nerdy, it's football!

(I mean UK football, or soccer)

Random

-
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2008
I've was and has been teased and criticized for liking and playing pokemon too, and you know, i still play it without a care what others think, because i think what comes from the teasing, is people ridicule from what they watched from the anime at the time especially the old episodes. And if anything pops up with Pokemon to people in general, the first thing that will come to peoples minds is "Ash and pikachu" sadly, not just the gaming, theres more to pokemon then meets the eye. Though occasionally i do see people bring their old GBC handhelds in my school to play old RBYGSC games, i say people are just vague and trying to hide themselves from the fact they liked pokemon in the past, so they tease others to move away from that, cause they think its childish, and not within the trend, but in the end they were just trying to conceal their personality and being very insecure about it. So don't let it bother you too much, cause i think the ones that tease you, actually do like it themselves. But the only thing people FEAR is FEAR themselves. So it does happen from time to time.

Back