• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you good at team building?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So many of us would either know by the way our teams work that we're either pretty good, or not so good at it and need a lot of help (or take other people's teams). How good are you at it? What do you think can be the hardest thing about team building - finding synergy, covering threats, etc? And if you're not so good, why not? Do you take other people's teams and form your own from there? Also to add to this, do you make RMTs of your team often or not much? Discuss!

Years
For the most part, Team building and team synergy are two of my stronger points as a battler I think. I do still think I'm a better predictor than team builder, though.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I'm not bad; but I suck all the time at times. When I just go off Pokemon I want to use my teams turn out rather well tbh, they all strangely have good synergy. But when I follow Smogon movesets and use all tools and such they're always bad. ); But still, team building and synergy aren't my strongest points.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Lol no, I'm horrid when it comes to precise and strategic team building nowadays. Yet strangely enough when I slap something random together like Haxorus, Metagross, Hydreigon, Jellicent, Chandelure, and Conkeldurr for example it usually ends up winning and winning Charlie Sheen style, I know it confuses even me too lol.

Years
  • Age 27
  • N/A
  • Seen Mar 23, 2013
I'm usually good at it until I get to the point of gimmick strategies... A lot of times, I'll turn to more generalized pokemon (Like Garchomp or Haxorus for Gen IV and V respectively). Something that also bothers me is that I tend to have more success with in-game pokes than ones that I've EV'd specifically. Types and moves have never been an issue with me though. I'd say that I'm about an average team builder... I'm much better at helping other people make teams of their own.

Years
Yeah, my teams are always chyll and ballin and usually involve a solid defensive core or good plan for victory that works; I hardly ever have to throw away a team anymore.

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
I'm good at building a team that fits well together and can weaknesses and whatnot. I struggle at movesets... I don't like to just use the ones off Smogon because they make me feel... Unoriginal.

My teams usually need to get beat a couple of times before I'll be able to get a better picture of what my team lacks/needs.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2012
I know basically nothing about team building. I only usually played Pokemon, to play casually. I never even knew about competitive battling till i came to PC. Now that i'm here, i want to know more.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
SUCK at teambuilding. Basically I don't know a thing about synergy, I usually put one or two Pokémon in my team that I really want to use, and then build it around that, checking their weaknesses etc, but that's probably by far not the best way to do it haha.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
My teams grow like a tree from a small seed, in the form of my first team member. After my first member is built the way I like, I build something closely resembling that pokemon's strategy. The next poke I check to see between the two, what I would need in terms of typing or attacking prowess I would need and build from there. I like to abuse cores like a standard Grass Water Fire core (My favorite so far is the Cacturne, Floatzel, Magmortar offensive core in NU which I made) or if I feel my team is weak to Stealth Rocks or Spikes or something, I find a Rapid Spinner that would fit nicely into my team.

If it grows too far away from what I originally had, then I normally will scrap it and start over again later. But when I get a combination of pokes that share a common strategy, then I know I did it right and that the team's ready for battle.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
I'm definitely a better battler than a team builder. But I still manage to make good teams by testing them and continuously making changes. My teams sometimes lack balance between offense and defense. I either build the team around 1 or two offensive pokemon, making it lack synergy at first (untill I come up with the perfect "glue"s to go with them) or I overly emphasize on synergy and countering threats, which sometimes results in me using very defensive spreads and lacking offensive presence. However, I keep on modifying my teams and ultimately they become pretty good.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
Sadly I tend to neglect defensive synergy and focus too narrowly. Usually what happens is I'll throw together a team, win a few rounds, and then lose one battle horribly. Then I'll go back to the team builder and try to add in a pokemon that will be able to counter the pokemon (or combo) that caused me to lose, but it'll usually cause me to lose out on coverage for some other pokemon I would have otherwise had covered. -____-

So I guess I'd say I'm good at putting together a strategy, but horrible at giving the team the support it needs to execute the strategy against a majority of threats.

CalciferFireDmn

Fire Demon
Years
Im a good battler, and i can predict well with a good team that has been made for me. My weakness is building the team. Somehow i always end up with a team super weak to one type like electric or dragon.

Back