• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Ash...Just Why?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Although it doesn't concern the Pokedex, anyone else notice the lackluster excitement in Ash's expression when he saw Dawn again in the Unova Region? Idk, I expected more out of it. But it was like he didn't really know her. It was a "Reset" type of reaction to Dawn's return. Like he never saw her before. Cynthia I could understand cause he rarely ever saw her, but Dawn traveled with him for an entire region.
Nah, that was not that bad ;) Heck, he was even kinda happy with seeing Shirona, I don't think it was that bad expresion ;)

Years
Ash checking up Piplup in the Pokedex was much more peculiar for me to be honest (three episodes later). But I repressed it.. Also, a high five in the anime seems to be worth a hug in our world. That's how it is...
He had also said 'Rat-TA-ta!'. Am I the only one to remember it as RAT-tata?

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Ash checking up Piplup in the Pokedex was much more peculiar for me to be honest (three episodes later). But I repressed it.. Also, a high five in the anime seems to be worth a hug in our world. That's how it is...
He had also said 'Rat-TA-ta!'. Am I the only one to remember it as RAT-tata?

OMG me and my friend was JUST talking about how it was pronounced! It was so wrong!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Spoiler:

Years
You know...this is kind of off topic since it's not questioning ash...but really, it's one of those lines that make me question the writers sanity....

"I'm gonna turn my frying pan" *sunglasses* "into a drying pan"
<_< Really........seriously....just...no....

Years
The reason this also happens more in Best Wishes is basically he's the only one in the traveling group that has a Pokedex. With AG and DP, the scanning of older pokemon usually is new girl doing.

The upside is tho that at least he does know what some are so him just scanning the pokedex is mostly for the under age 10 Japan audience of the show to know what it is.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Actually, remember the episode when Ash caught Tepig? Before they figured out it was a Tepig he thought it might have been umbreon. So he typed up Umbreon in the dex and the dex had all the info. Sooo he doesnt seem to need to record data :/
Ah, my mistake. I actually didn't watch that episode so I wouldn't have known that. Still, pulling up information into the Pokedex is still for the newest generation of 10-year olds.

... And I still believe that him using it on Koffing or past generation Pokemon is not as bad as him using it on Pokemon he used it on a few episodes before. Watching a bit more he's done it with more than just Palpitoad.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
What the HELL is this thing. Better use the PokeDex. "Pikachu is an Electric Type"

I want to see Ash use the Pokedex on a Pikachu. Because, you know, he needs a reminder on such rarely seen pokemon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Naw instead we get Shootie who uses it on Pikachu. I don't think the writers are ever going to make Ash that dumb unless he gets amnesia or something.

Also, recently he uses the Pokedex on a Roserade. A Pokemon he sees back in Sinnoh. I'm going to guess that people judged him harshly on that as well. Maybe.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
My biggest complain on this topic is the lazy animation of the Anime. There is a living, breathing pokemon animal on the screen moving around. And then, from the bottom of the screen, the pokedex slides up and replaces the moving picture of a pokemon with a static non-moving picture of a pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
That really has to be the biggest fail I've seen in anime... And there are quite a lot of them.
The trainers not caring (most of the time) about effectiveness is what has to be the most annoying part of it, though.

I guess we have to put up with it to keep watching Pokemon...

PokéZoom

~Gotta Catch Em All
Years
This is nothing new, he used his PokéDex on a Charizard in Johto... Seriously, there's no point complaining and I bet a lot of younger viewers had no idea what a Koffing was.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
My biggest complain on this topic is the lazy animation of the Anime. There is a living, breathing pokemon animal on the screen moving around. And then, from the bottom of the screen, the pokedex slides up and replaces the moving picture of a pokemon with a static non-moving picture of a pokemon.
Actually the image on the Pokedex Rotates and it's not always the case as far as I know.

Also this is only my thoughts and headcanon but it seems that in some (recent) cases he does it on pokemon he's seen recently (aka Unova Pokemon) in order to remember what the Pokedex says and devise a strategy. If not then you can will probably all go nuts when he uses his Pokedex in the Unova League on Pokemon he's already seen. Also the Buizel and Corphish (I think it was Corphish) he encounters later (which I have a reason why he uses the Pokedex for them but I'm sure no one cares/will listen anyways).

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
I understand the Koffing thing though.

Right now I am watching the Flower Power episode (episode 124) and Team Rocket were just coming in their disguises on some thing. and Ash is like 'i know those voices'
but in later episodes he doesn't recognize their voice i am just like why

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2013
So I just finish watching the episode "Rocking the Virbank Gym Part 1" where Ash meets Roxie for the first time and they have their gym battle. Right before the battle, Ash pulled out his Pokedex at Roxie's "Koffing"... Why?

Ash has seen Koffing almost as much as he's seen his own Pikachu due to James always using it against him in the majority of Kanto-Johto. I understand the show now is trying to bring in younger audiences who weren't around when Pokemon first began. But for us veteran show watchers and Pokemon battlers, seeing this is kinda "Uh...what?!"

It's bad enough Ash acts and battles like it's his first time going through a region, but seeing him use a Pokedex to scan Koffing is kind of a slap to the face.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

I know I'm a little late to this but I watched this episode myself not too long ago and thought exactly the same thing. But as stated by others I guess the younger newer audiences wouldn't know about the James' Koffing and would be thinking 'omg look at that strange pokemon' lol

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
I think Nintendo has made its calculations. This style:
Nintendo Boss: "pokemon gen 1=KIDS GO CRAZY and buy stuff
Gen2=same here still the same kids
Gen3=even same.
Gen4=okay things mighy not work long after this.. We need a new plan. LETS GET MORE KIDS!"
Nintendo employe:"but sir how are we going to keep new kids coming to our francise?"
Nintendo boss:"By reseting Ash! If kids loved him a decade ago as a loser they love him now and forever as a loser!"
Employe :"Great idea! And they will all buy the merchandice!"
*insert evil laughter here*

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2021
Is because ash has about a new pokedex per episode, so he needs to re-update the database xD

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
He did it again on Roserade in the newest episode.......He's seen Roserade so much in Sinnoh...Drew used it on numerous occasions....

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Well... what to say... he cannot remember even Pokémon that he owns so it shouldn't be surprising that he uses Pokédex to identify the Pokémon that some other characters used =)
I wouldn't be surprised if he actually used Pokédex to identify his Charizard.

Back