• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I need help trying to find a good balanced team, I've got 3/6 planned that I'm working on currently. Right now I'm more concerned with finding a Stealth Rocker/Spiker and a Spinner as well as two walls.

The 3/6 Pokemon I'm going to have so far are my sweepers.

638.png

Cobalion @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Justified
Jolly
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 HP
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-X-Scissor
-Earthquake

637.png

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Flame Body
Bold
240 HP, 216 Def, 52 Spe
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Roost

635.png

Hydreigon @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
Levitate
Mild
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Super Power
-Earthquake/Dark Pulse

So, yeah I've got no walls really, Volcarona is somewhat but takes a bit of setting up, and can't rely on it for defense. I was thinking having a Jellicent and Skarmory combo, but that still leaves me with no Spinner.
Cobalion's role is better done by Terrakion because of the latter's superior Attack and offensive typing:
-Swords Dance
-Rock Polish
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

If you still want to use Cobalion, you'll have to play to its strengths, which are its high Speed and Defense, as well as a good support move pool:
-Thunder Wave
-Stealth Rock/Roar
-Close Combat/Volt Switch
-Hidden Power (Ice)
Nature: Impish/Bold
EVs: 252 HP/208 Def/48 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Jellicent has very good synergy with Volcarona; it switches in to the Water moves it's weak to:
-Scald
-Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
-Recover
-Taunt
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe

or
-Scald/Surf
-Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/220 SDef
Ability: Water Absorb

Years
Thanks PlatinumDude, I'm gonna stick with Cobalion for now as a sweeper just because I like him, I may end up getting Terakion eventually. I think Jellicent would be a good combo with Volcarona, but what about a Spinner? Or another wall to go along with Jelli?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks PlatinumDude, I'm gonna stick with Cobalion for now as a sweeper just because I like him, I may end up getting Terakion eventually. I think Jellicent would be a good combo with Volcarona, but what about a Spinner? Or another wall to go along with Jelli?

Donphan is a good Rapid Spinner to use because it can pose an offensive threat and support the team:
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard/Roar
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Ability: Sturdy

or
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Head Smash/Fire Fang
-Ice Shard/Stealth Rock
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Ability: Sturdy

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I have a question. How does one go about choosing an online team?

Generally it depends on the person. A common way is if you have a specific Pokemon that looks interesting you build a team around it, to cover the threats to that specific Pokemon, while still having enough Pokemon to be able to take out the major threats in the metagame. Others base it around a type of playstyle - for example if you want a stall team then in OU for example usually certain Pokemon appear a lot in those playstyles because they're the only ones that fit. Or rain - there's almost always Politoed thanks to its ability and so on, or others are dependent on the lesser used playstyles such and Trick Room or Baton Pass where certain Pokemon only have roles in the higher tiers to perform those specific roles. So really it depends on both knowing what the metagame is likely to throw at you and what type of team/Pokemon you want if that makes sense.

Years
evaluate all dragon team, please ^-^

Look for gaps and weaknesses, it will have alot, since it is an all dragon team

Alright well my first entrant is giratina! Yey
Giratina @griseous orb
Adament
252 ev in atk 252 ev in speed

Dragon tail
Toxic
Shadow force
Its fly, but I've been thinking of switching fly for a fighting move (great type coverage)

My goal is to use toxic and dragontail till all of opponets pokemon are poisoned and weakened. Once achieved I can hack away at hp using shadow force... Jst Giratina itself can probably defeat an ok team... BUT lets say it gets knockef out. It would probably be cause of a dragon type, an ice type, psychic, dark or ghost. So my next pokemon is out to counter those.

Latios @ soul dew
Modest
252 ev spatk, 252 ev speed

Psychic
Dragonpulse
Flamethrower
Focus blast/ aura sphere

Normally I would put calm mind somewhere on this latios but because Giratina already poisoned and injured the pokemon, it'll be overkill. Latios already has exceptionally good special attack. Well all of his moves defend Giratinas weakneses so that speaks for itself

Finally the one and only terra shark!!

Garchomp @yache berry
Nauhty
252 ev attack, 252 ev speed

Dragon claw
Earthquake
Swordance
Rockslide

He only needs 1 swordance and he becomes unstopable... But he'll probably jst use earthquake in his 1st move to end the battle c[:

Modest

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Look for gaps and weaknesses, it will have alot, since it is an all dragon team

Alright well my first entrant is giratina! Yey
Giratina @griseous orb
Adament
252 ev in atk 252 ev in speed

Dragon tail
Toxic
Shadow force
Its fly, but I've been thinking of switching fly for a fighting move (great type coverage)

My goal is to use toxic and dragontail till all of opponets pokemon are poisoned and weakened. Once achieved I can hack away at hp using shadow force... Jst Giratina itself can probably defeat an ok team... BUT lets say it gets knockef out. It would probably be cause of a dragon type, an ice type, psychic, dark or ghost. So my next pokemon is out to counter those.

Latios @ soul dew
Modest
252 ev spatk, 252 ev speed

Psychic
Dragonpulse
Flamethrower
Focus blast/ aura sphere

Normally I would put calm mind somewhere on this latios but because Giratina already poisoned and injured the pokemon, it'll be overkill. Latios already has exceptionally good special attack. Well all of his moves defend Giratinas weakneses so that speaks for itself

Finally the one and only terra shark!!

Garchomp @yache berry
Nauhty
252 ev attack, 252 ev speed

Dragon claw
Earthquake
Swordance
Rockslide

He only needs 1 swordance and he becomes unstopable... But he'll probably jst use earthquake in his 1st move to end the battle c[:

Modest

(c/p'd from the thread Wolflare closed; if this isn't allowed Wolflare, delete this)

While Giratina is equipped with the Griseous Orb, you should focus on its Origin Forme's offensive capabilities, not the defensive capabilties that its Altered Forme can do better. Also, Shadow Force is a bit easy to play around, despite the fact that it hits past Protect:
-Draco Meteor
-Shadow Sneak
-Dragon Tail/Dragon Claw
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Earthquake/Will-o-Wisp
Nature: Naughty/Lonely
EVs: 248 Atk/252 SAtk/8 Spe
Item: Griseous Orb

Latios can't learn Flamethrower, Focus Blast and Aura Sphere. It also has better moves it should be using than just Psychic and Dragon Pulse:
-Draco Meteor
-Thunder/Grass Knot
-Surf/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Recover/Psyshock/Dragon Pulse
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Soul Dew

Garchomp is better off with a Jolly nature to let it outspeed as many things as it can. Rock Slide doesn't provide enough power to KO threats. Replace it with Stone Edge for the higher power, despite the lower accuracy, or Fire Fang, to let it hit Ferrothorn, Scizor and Forretress, should you go against them.

IMO, you seem like you need some hazard support. Dialga can provide that for you:
-Stealth Rock
-Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Roar/Dragon Tail/Thunder
Nature: Modest/Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/56 SAtk/200 SDef
Ability: Pressure

In the future, it might be a better idea to research on what moves your Pokemon can possibly learn before making their sets.

You have 2 slots left open in the team; you need 6 Pokemon for this team to be considered a full team. I'll let someone else figure out the last 2 slots.

Years
I'm not to big on looking for my moves and stratagies on smogon, I prefer to learn through trial and error c[:
My latios had
Calm mind
Reflect
Dragon pulse
And psychic

I haven't played pokemon in a while so I didn't know which moves latios could learn, wups my bad. I wanted to make latios more offensive to protect my adamant giratina. oh and with Giratina, you're right I should go with its origin form... I jst wanted extra speed to poison the apponent first. And shadow force was only to buy time for toxic. If you switch to a normal pokemon in the middrl of shadow force I'll jst use dragon tail again ^-^

I was thinking about it and on terrakill I'm going to replace rockslide with firefang, so thanks ^-^

And now I gotta work on getting me a Dialga :D
But with different moves, (I'm not a big fan of stealth rocks)
The other 2 slots are for rayquaza and lucario

Rayquaza
252 atk 252 speed

Dragondance
Dragonclaw
I'm thinking of earthquake and maybe even flamethower umm idk

Lucario
Same atk and speed evs
Drain punch
Iron tail
Swordance
aura sphere/ extreme speed - which one is better?
I know to many sweepers

I probably need one other annoyer, apart from giratina a possibly a wall and a rapid spinner... So which pokemons do you think need to get off my team so I can add a milotic, a meganium or something around there

Last edited:

PokeTrade

PokeTrade
Years
Aww man, I need a new battle plan!

Lately, I have been doing online launcher battles. It hasn't gone to well...

This is my team at the moment:

Emboar
Serperior
Samurott
Cinccino ( Or what ever it's called :P I forget because it's nick-named )
Ditto
Zoroark

Half of this team was made by my friend. I decided to use the three main starters, but change Emboar to a Blaziken once i get one. Emboar is a terrible fire starter Pokemon. Ditto isn't the best one I would have picked and im starting to think my friend was intending me to have total doom. Zoroark is okay in some cases, sometimes using his illusion and getting un-noticed looking like my Emboar the whole match. I don't think it's a good team, and don't know what members to change, so i ask for your help. I don't think i wanna ask my friend for help again...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm not to big on looking for my moves and stratagies on smogon, I prefer to learn through trial and error c[:
My latios had
Calm mind
Reflect
Dragon pulse
And psychic

I haven't played pokemon in a while so I didn't know which moves latios could learn, wups my bad. I wanted to make latios more offensive to protect my adamant giratina. oh and with Giratina, you're right I should go with its origin form... I jst wanted extra speed to poison the apponent first. And shadow force was only to buy time for toxic. If you switch to a normal pokemon in the middrl of shadow force I'll jst use dragon tail again ^-^

I was thinking about it and on terrakill I'm going to replace rockslide with firefang, so thanks ^-^

And now I gotta work on getting me a Dialga :D
But with different moves, (I'm not a big fan of stealth rocks)
The other 2 slots are for rayquaza and lucario

Rayquaza
252 atk 252 speed

Dragondance
Dragonclaw
I'm thinking of earthquake and maybe even flamethower umm idk

Lucario
Same atk and speed evs
Drain punch
Iron tail
Swordance
aura sphere/ extreme speed - which one is better?
I know to many sweepers

I probably need one other annoyer, apart from giratina a possibly a wall and a rapid spinner... So which pokemons do you think need to get off my team so I can add a milotic, a meganium or something around there
Like I said before, Altered forme Giratina is better at using defensive sets than its Origin Forme. Both formes play differently; Altered Forme Giratina uses its huge 150 HP in conjunction with its 120 Defense and Special Defense to wall opponents, and possibly shuffle them around with Dragon Tail. Origin Forme Giratina (which is only accessible via Griseous Orb), is better off as an all-out attacker, due to the swapped offensive and defensive stats. Both formes have the same base Speed of 90.

Your Latios looks like it had a defensive set. Latias (Latios' twin) can pull off defensive sets better because of its 130 Special Defense, further boosted by Soul Dew. As a general rule of thumb, use only offensive sets with Latios and defensive/support/tank sets with Latias.

Dialga's best traits are its good defensive typing and high defenses. Its Speed isn't high enough to let it go hyper-offensive. And what are you talking about? Stealth Rock is one of the best support moves ever made. It damages all Pokemon, which Spikes and Toxic Spikes don't do, when they enter battle (even though the damage varies depending on what type the Pokemon is). Stealth Rock isn't very hard to get up either; it only takes 1 layer for Stealth Rock to do its job. Dialga has the defenses and typing to get Stealth Rock up easily. Said move also works well with Giratina's Dragon Tail, racking up extra damage on the Pokemon that switches into battle; Giratina's Ghost typing also ensures that opponents can't Rapid Spin away the rocks, since SR is an entry hazard.

Rayquaza is rather versatile when it comes to offensive movesets; it can go physical, special or both:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Overheat
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

or
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast/V-create
-ExtremeSpeed
-Outrage/Dragon Tail
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

or
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast/Earthquake
Nature: Mild/Rash
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SAtk/216 Spe

or
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw
-ExtremeSpeed
-V-create
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe

or
-Outrage
-V-create
-Draco Meteor
-Earthquake/ExtremeSpeed
Item: Choice Scarf

or
-Outrage
-V-create
-ExtremeSpeed
-Earthquake
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Band

Lucario doesn't really do well in Ubers because of its somewhat average offenses and poor defenses compared to the resident Ubers there. Excadrill is your best bet in its place as a Rapid Spinner:
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Swords Dance
-Rock Slide/Iron Head/Substitute
EVs: 176 HP/60 Atk/252 SDef/20 Spe
Ability: Mold Breaker

Lately, I have been doing online launcher battles. It hasn't gone to well...

This is my team at the moment:

Emboar
Serperior
Samurott
Cinccino ( Or what ever it's called :P I forget because it's nick-named )
Ditto
Zoroark

Half of this team was made by my friend. I decided to use the three main starters, but change Emboar to a Blaziken once i get one. Emboar is a terrible fire starter Pokemon. Ditto isn't the best one I would have picked and im starting to think my friend was intending me to have total doom. Zoroark is okay in some cases, sometimes using his illusion and getting un-noticed looking like my Emboar the whole match. I don't think it's a good team, and don't know what members to change, so i ask for your help. I don't think i wanna ask my friend for help again...
Emboar isn't that bad. While it has less Speed than Blaziken or Infernape, it hits rather hard with a Choice Band attached.

You're right on Cinccino's name.

Ditto isn't that bad of a Pokemon because of its Imposter ability copying the opponent as soon as it enters battle. I'll throw out some move sets for all your Pokemon:

Serperior:
-Coil
-Leaf Blade
-Aqua Tail
-Return/Substitute
Nature: Jolly
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

or
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Fire/Rock)/Dragon Pulse

or
-Glare
-Giga Drain
-Dragon Tail
-Taunt
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

or
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Giga Drain
-Taunt
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Light Clay

Emboar:
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-Wild Charge
-Head Smash/Stone Edge
Nature: Adamant (Choice Band)/Jolly (Choice Scarf)
EVs: 128 HP/252 Atk/128 Spe (Choice Band) or 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe (Choice Scarf)
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

or
-Fire Blast
-Superpower
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Grass Knot/Substitute
Nature: Rash/Mild
EVs: 128 HP/252 SAtk/128 Spe

Samurott:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot/Hidden Power (Grass)
-Megahorn/Superpower/Taunt/Aqua Jet
Nature: Naive/Timid

or
-Swords Dance
-Waterfall
-Aqua Jet
-Megahorn
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry/Leftovers

Cinccino:
-Tail Slap
-Bullet Seed
-Rock Blast
-U-turn
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link

Ditto:
-Transform
Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef (Relaxed) or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef (Sassy)
Ability: Imposter

Zoroark:
-Dark Pulse/Night Daze
-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
-Trick/U-turn
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

or
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse/Night Daze
-Focus Blast
-Flamethrower/Substitute

or
-Dark Pulse/Night Daze
-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
-Sucker Punch

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
qustion i want to make an online team and im thinking of useing my ingame team. please help reveiw and tell me if they will work for online play
but this team setup is working wonders ingame

balance: flygon
defence and specail defence: magnezone
speed and attack: arcanine and unfezant
speed and specail attack: starmie
attack and specail attack and speed: zoroark

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
qustion i want to make an online team and im thinking of useing my ingame team. please help reveiw and tell me if they will work for online play
but this team setup is working wonders ingame

balance: flygon
defence and specail defence: magnezone
speed and attack: arcanine and unfezant
speed and specail attack: starmie
attack and specail attack and speed: zoroark
Overlook looks nice but nothing can be said until you provide natures, movesets, and possibly IVs/EVs.

WolfMirage

"Last Raven"
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
Competitive Team Help

can i please get help on guide lines on how to chosse the right pokemon in order to make Competitive Team.
so far heres what im thinking so far:

kingler(with sheer force Ability)
moves: crab hammer, superpower

Genesect: thunder, bug buzz, gunk shot

Arcanine: wild charge, fire blast, outrage

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
can i please get help on guide lines on how to chosse the right pokemon in order to make Competitive Team.
so far heres what im thinking so far:

kingler(with sheer force Ability)
moves: crab hammer, superpower

Genesect: thunder, bug buzz, gunk shot

Arcanine: wild charge, fire blast, outrage

Kingler lacks enough moves to take advantage of Sheer Force (i.e. moves that have a chance to occur, such as Rock Slide, which has a 30% chance of flinching), so Hyper Cutter is the preferred ability:
-Swords Dance
-Agility
-Crabhammer
-Return/X-Scissor
EVs: 48 HP/252 Atk/208 Spe
Ability: Hyper Cutter

or
-Crabhammer
-Double-Edge/Return
-Superpower
-X-Scissor
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Ability: Hyper Cutter

But then again, Kingler isn't seen often in standard play due to having imbalanced stats; while it has high Attack and Defense, its Special stats and HP are low and its Speed is average. Try something else like Starmie. It can learn Rapid Spin to clear entry hazards:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin/Recover
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure

Genesect has a wide special movepool to take advantage of. Gunk Shot has terrible coverage, so don't bother with it. It makes a good scout with Choice items:
-U-turn
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz
-Flamethrower/Bug Buzz
EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe

or
-U-turn
-Ice Beam
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz
Item: Expert Belt/Focus Sash

or
-Bug Buzz
-U-turn
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
Nature: Naive/Hasty
Item: Choice Specs

or
-Rock Polish
-Ice Beam
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz
Nature: Timid/Modest

or
-U-turn
-Iron Head
-Flamethrower/Zen Headbutt
-Explosion/Ice Beam
Nature: Naughty/Lonely

Arcanine should generally focus on physical attacks, since its physical movepool is decent:
-Flare Blitz
-ExtremeSpeed
-Wild Charge/Crunch
-Close Combat/Morning Sun
EVs: 72 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef/176 Spe
Ability: Intimidate/Flash Fire

Murt93

Battle Amateur
Years
I posted my Team already I just need a few question's answered in order to make a few last minute changes
my team is Infernape,Garchomp,Metagross,Latios,Swampert and Dusknoir
The sets are pretty standard and the EV's too, the team is for SS
Here are my questions:
What is the speed of a hasty/naive jolly 192ev's infernape with 15-25 Iv's I know max is 176 but I think thats 31 IV's and 252 EV's The reason I ask is I can only give 31 IV's to it and if I find out the stat I can decide if I want to put it in attack or speed if its easier can some decide fr me I think speed is more important but I need it to kill the things its faster than
Can anyone think of a better replacement for dusknoir provided its bulky and can deal at least enough damage a tank basically that doesn't add to many weaknesses and preferably is immune to something for an easy switch in :L

sorry just found out the infernape stat its hasty with 15 Ivs is 159 and 25 Ivs is 165 so that really isnt fast enough 31 IV's is only 168 so instead of the spread of 252/64/192 should I make it 252/44/212 That gives it 130 sp.atk the moveset is
Infernape@life orb (Hasty,Naive)
Close combat
Overheat
U-turn
Stone edge/mach punch

212 EV'S gives it 170 speed but is 130 sp.atk enough for overheat to OHKO most steels namely bronzong and bulky grass types Venasaur/exeggutor? because anything that fire is neutral on I think close combat will do more damage provided its also neutral?

so should I bump the speed EV's to 212 or is 168 fast enough and I'm worrying over nothing?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • PA
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Gengar Moveset

Gengar Moveset
Hi guys im looking into a gengar but not totally sure what to do. im doing a 3rd gen gengar ATM so please keep that in mind.
the current one i have is
Bashful Nature
EVs 252 Sp ATK/252 Hp/ 4 Sp DEF
moveset
Hypnosis
Dreameater
Curse
Shawdow Ball

All ideas are welcome would appreciate the help

Years
This moveset is a pretty good idea lol. It puts apponents to sleep, sets in curse, and restores/ damages the other pokemon. Pretty good except hypnosis got doen graded to 60% accuracy and gengars bleh defences c[x
I would recomend a more sweeping assualt. His speed and special attack are no laughing matter. So give him a life orb to hold and a modest naturevand you got yourself a pokemin capable of seriously denting an apposing team.
Gengar @life orb
Shadowball
Focus blast
Pain split
Substitue/thunderbolt
With this set you'll go in substitude, this prevents you from deing the next turn and get a status like paralasis or burn. Now use pain split it will restore your health and bring your apponents down. Then either shadow ball or focus blast. Killing the other pokemon, now repeat. Pain split is used very handy with life orb and substitude and it works especially good with pojemon who have lots of hp. instead of substued you can use thunder bolt for more neutral coverage

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
This moveset is a pretty good idea lol. It puts apponents to sleep, sets in curse, and restores/ damages the other pokemon. Pretty good except hypnosis got doen graded to 60% accuracy and gengars bleh defences c[x
I would recomend a more sweeping assualt. His speed and special attack are no laughing matter. So give him a life orb to hold and a modest naturevand you got yourself a pokemin capable of seriously denting an apposing team.
Gengar @life orb
Shadowball
Focus blast
Pain split
Substitue/thunderbolt
With this set you'll go in substitude, this prevents you from deing the next turn and get a status like paralasis or burn. Now use pain split it will restore your health and bring your apponents down. Then either shadow ball or focus blast. Killing the other pokemon, now repeat. Pain split is used very handy with life orb and substitude and it works especially good with pojemon who have lots of hp. instead of substued you can use thunder bolt for more neutral coverage
You totally disregarded the fact that the OP was asking for a 3rd Gen Gengar set. A much more fitting all-out attacker (in 3rd gen, that is) should look like this:

Gengar @Leftovers
Timid/Modest nature
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Punch
~ Giga Drain
~ Fire Punch

This would also work in-game perfectly. Unless you have R/S because Ice and Fire Punch are only available via move tutors in Emerald. You could replace both moves with Shadow Ball and Hypnosis if that is the case.

Back