• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Episode Discussion] Pokémon: Twilight Wings | Episode 1 | Letter

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
The first episode of Pokémon twilight wings is officially out, and you can watch it from the Pokémon Youtube channel:

Any thoughts of the episode? Fee free to discuss here! My thoughts are coming shortly.

Years
The animation style and two main characters reminded me of Digimon (and Tai and Matt). But it was interesting look at Pokémon world especially in generation that focuses on Pokémon battles.

This episode was imho better than whole Generations or how was that last attempt of short webseries was called. I'm looking forward seeing more.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
As soon as I saw the setting I knew I would cry and I was not wrong, lmao.

This was so sweet! I love extra worldbulding stuff in Pokémon and this is a perfect example of it. I hope the other episodes are as charming as this was.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've linked the Daily article with this thread!

I enjoyed it. The sound effects for Corviknight were pretty good too - it sounded like a metallic bird and all. Decent animation, interested to see where it goes.

But that kid is either a slow drawer or Rose popped in for hardly any time at all, haha. Then again Oleana might have been rushing him...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
This was really good. I've never seen Penguin Highway, but now this episode of Pokemon Twilight Wings is really making me want to watch that short film. Although, I honestly didn't like Chairman Roses's voice? It wasn't like I imagined it to sound like. But this was so nice, and sweet... I can't wait until episode 2 comes out. I'll definitely keep watching these shorts, tbh.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
I didn't catch Ash!!! I saw people say it's the same universe, but didn't understand why. Thank you!!

Maybe we'll see John and/or Tommy again in the regular series, then, like Alain and Mairin in XYZ and Junichi (Vincent/) in the Johto league!

The colours and lighting were both very lush, creative angles and shots, beautiful character animation... yeah, great atmosphere and world building.

The lighting around Rose and his expressions feel ominous to me, but BLEACH and ERASED have made me wary of exceedingly kind and quiet characters (Yashiro!!! He was usually backlit, too, so his face was shadowed).

The new characters and their friendship is very endearing!

That final set of shots of the Gym Leaders was also so beautiful!!!

Hop and his Wooloo were so cute... :')

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would. The animation was smooth, somewhat enchanting to look at. It was appealing.

It's left me curious in wondering what direction it might go from where they've ended the episode.

I'm also happy they gave us a glimpse of the other characters that may turn up in future, like Hop and the other leaders.

Kazetori

Vaporeon Trainer
Years
I loved it! It made me love Corviknight even more, if that was possible haha
It was super chill, I'm really excited for the next episode :)

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
I don't understand why the main series can't be this good. This series is great.
If you mean the art and animation, a movie or short/special will ALWAYS be better animated than a a TV series and ESPECIALLY a long-running one.

Time and money.

Short series can have artsy animation, the ones that have maybe 13 or 24 episodes. The TV anime has been going on for two decades... it's far harder to spread the budget over the course of that and they're often still working on the episode until the day it airs!!

Specials like The Strongest Mega Evolution (one episode each half year, four Acts/episodes in total) and now Twilight Wings (one episode each month, as I recall reading?) have more time and can better use the budget due to being shorter.

Please don't devalue all the hard work that goes into making the TV series, it's just that this is what comes of a long-running TV series. That's also why it often dropped into being formulaic (it'd be hard on anyone to keep coming up with unique plots for all of these creatures on a regular basis, many have been working since the start!).

XY, Sun & Moon, and Pocket Monsters (2019) look so good because it's cheaper now to make good animation, but there is still a lot of effort because all of these key frames you're watching were drawn on paper first, by hand...

If you mean in terms of story (there isn't a LOT of one yet, but), it's likely due to the writers being less constrained in subject matter because these specials are usually aimed at older fans, whereas the TV series is classed as kodomo/children and, even if it blends in shounen and sometimes shoujo archetypes and plot elements (Contest arcs with the many different rival archetypes VS training, adventure, tournament arcs, etc.), they have to be able to air in roughly the same sort of slot that would air other family friendly/all ages entertainment, while winning over the tiniest kids who are the primary demographic too (like... the Hamtaro/Tama & Friends demographic) for merchandising purposes. ^^;

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
OH GOD

I take a bit of time away and this happens??

I'll watch it soon and edit this post. <3

ChickenMom

a filthy casual.
Years
I really liked this! I thought it was very nice that they decided to do something really different with new characters. And this series seems like it will be a bit more mature that the main series. I don't think kids would find it very interesting, but I enjoyed it.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Since this is pinned is it safe to post here?

Because, oh my god, I just watched all of them available so far, and WHY IS THIS SERIES SO GOOD?

It's gorgeous, and I was so emotionally invested every time, even though each character got, at the MOST, five minutes of growth. What a wonderfully done series, story telling like that in 6 minutes. I think the kids in the hospital hit me the most. Time to for all my hair to turn gray while I wait for the next one to come out.

Back