• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 9, 2022
Hey, I've been looking at Deoxys-A EV spreads with Naive nature (+Spd). On the smogon page it says 188 speed EVs allow it to outspeed Scarf'd Xerneas with neutral natures and 224 speed EVs (which I understand is the usual investment), but I can't see to get the numbers to fall out.

At Lv. 50:
Deoxys-A speed with 188 EVs and beneficial nature: 213
Xerneas with 224 EVs and neutral nature: 147
Scarf'd Xerneas has speed 147 x 1.5 = 220.5 (so need 221 to beat)

At Lv. 100:
Deoxys-A speed with 188 EVs and beneficial nature: 421
Xerneas with 224 EVs and neutral nature: 290
Scarf'd Xerneas has speed 290 x 1.5 = 435 (so need 436 to beat)

Am I missing something?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Hey, I've been looking at Deoxys-A EV spreads with Naive nature (+Spd). On the smogon page it says 188 speed EVs allow it to outspeed Scarf'd Xerneas with neutral natures and 224 speed EVs (which I understand is the usual investment), but I can't see to get the numbers to fall out.

At Lv. 50:
Deoxys-A speed with 188 EVs and beneficial nature: 213
Xerneas with 224 EVs and neutral nature: 147
Scarf'd Xerneas has speed 147 x 1.5 = 220.5 (so need 221 to beat)

At Lv. 100:
Deoxys-A speed with 188 EVs and beneficial nature: 421
Xerneas with 224 EVs and neutral nature: 290
Scarf'd Xerneas has speed 290 x 1.5 = 435 (so need 436 to beat)

Am I missing something?
Those spreads work, assuming you have 31 IVs in Speed, which your Deoxys doesn't seem to have. In that case you'd need to make up for the missing IVs, by giving it more EVs. Also, those spreads only work in an environment where everything is level 100, so if you were to battle with levels set to 50, you'd need to adjust them accordingly.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 9, 2022
Those spreads work, assuming you have 31 IVs in Speed, which your Deoxys doesn't seem to have. In that case you'd need to make up for the missing IVs, by giving it more EVs. Also, those spreads only work in an environment where everything is level 100, so if you were to battle with levels set to 50, you'd need to adjust them accordingly.

Thanks for replying. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but I can't see what it is - I've attached a screenshot of Showdown where I've been playing with the EVs. Both Pokemon are at level 100. I've got 421 speed on deoxys which is less than 1.5 x 290 for xerneas?

deoxys.png

Sorry to be a pain, thanks for the help.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Thanks for replying. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but I can't see what it is - I've attached a screenshot of Showdown where I've been playing with the EVs. Both Pokemon are at level 100. I've got 421 speed on deoxys which is less than 1.5 x 290 for xerneas?
Well, nevermind. Seems like the correct Speed EVs for the given Xerneas set is 244. It's highly likely that the dex entry for Deoxys-A wasn't updated for quite a while and in the past Xerneas might have run less EVs in Speed. It's one of the reasons, why checking EV spreads, especially those that contain some funky numbers, is really important.

Also be aware, that you might run into max Speed Scarf Xerneas, which always outspeeds Deoxys-A, no matter how many EVs you put into Speed.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 9, 2022
Well, nevermind. Seems like the correct Speed EVs for the given Xerneas set is 244. It's highly likely that the dex entry for Deoxys-A wasn't updated for quite a while and in the past Xerneas might have run less EVs in Speed. It's one of the reasons, why checking EV spreads, especially those that contain some funky numbers, is really important.

Also be aware, that you might run into max Speed Scarf Xerneas, which always outspeeds Deoxys-A, no matter how many EVs you put into Speed.

Lovely, nice to know I'm not going insane, thanks for your help!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
Special dragonair

I'm using a special attacker dragonair and i have 252 in special attack and 252 into hp with the last 6 in defense, it has its HA and is modest, IV are alright but not perfect.

Now special dragonair has amazing coverage moves such as flamethrower, thunderbolt, ice beam, dracometor, ect. I have rest on it to be a little tank physical tank that can still deal with special damage if the need arises with eveolite on it. Is it worth getting something like flamethrower, ice beam, and draco metor or should I just go with draco meter and only one other attack and add toxic or something?

I currently am using rest, flamethrower, surf, and thunderbolt but in the past I've had many issues with gliscor my most hated pokemon and this set up also doesn't allow me to hit dragon types. What are your thoughts on this?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While Dragonair has a good special move pool, it's still better off going physical, as with Marvel Scale (while statused) + Eviolite, it's very bulky physically:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/44 Atk/188 SDef/24 Spe
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Marvel Scale

Outrage won't lock Dragonair into battle if it's picked by Sleep Talk.

And in all seriousness, if you really want to get better milage out of Dragonair, evolving it into Dragonite is the best option. Design has nothing to do with competitive viability, in all honesty.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
I'm not using physical dragonair simply because I dont want to. Gliscor is a problem for me and the current moveset is unable to hit dragons but that doesn't mean the current moveset I have is a bad choice. I'm asking if adding/removing things would benefit me more overall.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 20, 2017
Physical wall that can take earthquakes?

I have looked up all of the levitate/flying/grass/bug pokemon and I can't find anything I like in them that is a physical wall. So obvious counters aside what are some really good walls that can tank stab earthquakes from popular UU and above pokemon and just not care about the damage? Gimmicky things like magnate rise are out too because if we are being real its a bad move. The majority of my team is weak to earthquake so I really need to find someone to counter this.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Using a Kyorge in TR. The current set I have used is Origin Pulse, Scald, Protect and Ice Beam. Two things worry me is OP low accuracy and Scald to make it water locked with ice been. (kind wish it could learn Freeze Dry).

I know first thing people would say is. Use Water Pulse. I get that. Under TR I should be able to get first strike with it with Helping Hand, but what about after? Is that were Scald can come in?

Other option is to replace Scald with Thunder. So its not water locked. Thoughts

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
@WingedDragon- I'm no expert at this current VGC but it really depends on your team and what you are struggling with the most. Both Origin Pulse and Scald in one moveset have their uses; the former being a spread move which can KO/severly damage the opposing foes (the rather low accuracy is worth it in this case) if Desolate Land or Wide Guard isn't in play and the latter has a nice burn chance (I agree with you on not using Water Pulse because it's simply too inferior compared to Scald). As for Thunder, if your team really struggles with Water-types then I would too would replace Scald with it and that would mean Origin Pulse would be your only Water-type attack (as outlined, you do have to be wary of Wide Guard and plus it has low PP). But if Scald is more important, then having a Pokémon such as Thundurus and Zapdos can help out instead. They may not be as good TR candidates but they can come in handy should you not use TR in a match (unless your team is full TR). Raichu is weaker and also doesn't benefit from TR but Fake Out + Feint support is really nice to have to disrupt foes and eases TR set up. Not only that but Lightningrod is handy to draw away Electric attacks from Kyogre. Hope this helps!

Also, I've been SRing for near flawless event legendaries and I come across this Yveltal:
Naive
27/31/31/18/19-20/31

I'm unsure how much utility this will provide, so I'm open to hearing your thoughts if I should keep it or reset.
Thank you!
Edit: I'll reset it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Two Vulpixes with a few Questions!

So, I have bred two Vulpixes and their IVs are like so:

Vulpix #001 -
Ivs: 31 / x / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
Calm Nature

Vulpix #002 -
Ivs: 31 / 31 / 31 /x / 31 / 31
Lax Nature

Both of them have Drought, but their natures... eh. Are they useful with the right EV Spread? Also, what would be a good IV Spread for these lovely fire-type fox pokemon? If they're no good, should I breed for a better nature? What nature should I breed for?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 14, 2016
So, I have bred two Vulpixes and their IVs are like so:

Vulpix #001 -
Ivs: 31 / x / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
Calm Nature

Vulpix #002 -
Ivs: 31 / 31 / 31 /x / 31 / 31
Lax Nature

Both of them have Drought, but their natures... eh. Are they useful with the right EV Spread? Also, what would be a good IV Spread for these lovely fire-type fox pokemon? If they're no good, should I breed for a better nature? What nature should I breed for?

First Vulpix seems good. Think it is good nature with good IVs. First Vulpix listed is probably
way better than second one in battles.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Oh, it was a Mareep? o -o I kind of lost track of what they were so, I decided. "I have a box full of unknown Pokemon. Why not do a Mystery Egg type thing?"

I need to make another batch and mix them up a bit for the next Mysery Egg thingy. x3

IsaacTwentySeven

Shiny Electivire
Years
Is a Modest Sylveon a good choice to use without Hidden Power Fire/Ground for coverage?

I'm running this EV spread: 240HP/252SpA/16Spe

and this moveset:
Hyper Voice
Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Baton Pass

with specs.

How should I change this? Should I opt for a Bold one instead, with Calm Mind and Leftovers?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is a Modest Sylveon a good choice to use without Hidden Power Fire/Ground for coverage?

I'm running this EV spread: 240HP/252SpA/16Spe

and this moveset:
Hyper Voice
Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Baton Pass

with specs.

How should I change this? Should I opt for a Bold one instead, with Calm Mind and Leftovers?
Shadow Ball is still a feasible option to hit Jirachi and (Mega) Metagross harder than HP Fire/Ground would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back