• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does it bother you that Pokemon can use moves of other elements?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
While there are a few isolated incidents that make me go 'huh?' when I learn that a Pokemon can learn a certain move (e.g. Rhydon/Rhyperior and Surf), for the most part, I revel in the wider movepools and try to exploit them whenever possible. Hikari mentioned Reuniclus and Focus Blast, which is a great example of a move that seems illogical on the face of it, but makes a great deal of sense when you think about it in greater detail. The other points about limiting potential strategies have already been mentioned, but I also agree with them as well. Also, in any event, isn't it kinda fun when you learn that something like Octillery can learn Flamethrower? That's just awesome to me. :D

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Torros can learn 14 of the 17 types. He is the Son of Arceus.

I think becaus EVERY Pokemon can learn Toxic, and becasue Toxis is STRONGER than regular poisoning, that Toxic is an artifical poison applied to the Pokemon. Even Manemite can Toxic, he isn't making his own, his trainer is painting him in poison.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I can't say that it bothers me that much except a few mentioned above.But yesterday i was playing pokemon when battling a random swimmer my pokemon used dig..while on water...wouldn't that technically be dive?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
It doens't bother me at all. Without the move diversity, then battles would be boring, and really predictable. I think having a variety of moves, and having Pokemon learn moves not necessarily of their type enables them to cover their weakness and exploit others'.

Praisedscooter

Gym Leader wannabe
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2012
I tend to look at it as a "hidden potential" kind of. Like it was mentioned in the OP, Arbok using fire fang. Arbok realized it can use its venom in such a way that it feels like it's burning, without causing any poison damage to its foe.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I love the diversity. Normal-types are one of my favorites and I like how they are able to cover a lot of weaknesses. Besides, if Pokemon could only learn what sounded logical, that'd be so boring.

Years
It doens't bother me at all. Without the move diversity, then battles would be boring, and really predictable. I think having a variety of moves, and having Pokemon learn moves not necessarily of their type enables them to cover their weakness and exploit others'.

I agree completely with this.

Besides, most moves that Pokemon know that are not of their types make sense given their appearances. With many Normal-types, though, there are exceptions. I don't think it makes much sense, for example, for Rattata and Tauros to be able to learn all of the elemental moves that they are.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
eh. it doesn't bother me. Never has. Sometimes the attacks; no matter how strange they can be...gives the Pokemon an advantage. Especially when pitted up against a Pokemon they're clearly at a disadvantage against. Victory isn't necessarily guaranteed, but it at least give the other Pokemon a chance to fight back. :p

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It doesn't bother me at all due to what everyone has already mentioned above; what really bothers me are Pokemon who can't learn moves that cover all of their weaknesses. *glares at Grass types*

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
No? I don't really see why it would, unless I'm not understanding the OP's point of view very well.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Teaching them inappropriate moves ruins imagination, and playing a Pokemon game without using your imagination is pointless.

I don't understand. Wouldn't a pokemon using an anusual move merely require more imagination? Thus is the enjoyment of imagination.

Frankly, if one were to use their imagination, they could explain just about any move/Pokemon combo.

That aside, the Diglet/ scratch thing can be explained by the fact that, it is implied that Diglet has arms and legs: It's based on a mole. Just because they've never shown one out of the ground, doesn't mean their species is somehow unable of leaving the ground. THAT, wouldn't make sense ;)

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Eh. I prefer that moves make sense in one way or another, but I see quite a bit of leeway there, since pokemon in and of themselves are bizarrely unrealistic. So I've long since suspended most of my disbelief, and whatever seeming discrepancies there might be between what it seems a pokemon should be able to learn and what it can actually learn just aren't that big a deal. If I'm so inclined, I can usually work out some sort of justification for the move, but I'm rarely so inclined. I guess I just don't expect a game that involves battles between sometimes enormous and highly dangerous creatures who are kept in little colored balls to always bow to narrow distinctions regarding what's possible and what's not.

Years
To me every pokemon thats based on a known earth species has moves that make sense. Rhinos spend time in the water which would grant rhydon a surf attack because surf really os just a pokemon being able to swim. When you think about reuncilus learning focus blast it really shouldnt be debated because we have no idea of what a creature like it would be capable of
If you actually think about it as biological you can find many weirx things ( in earths historyof biology when ever would a magnemite, beldum, solosis, unknown, sigilyph, steelix, klink i mean the list could go on but they would not be considered animals) so to me the best way to look at it is as art. Tactical art

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
This doesn't really bother me very much, but this is what I had originally thought. When I first started playing, I was surprised to learn Pokemon could learn moves of different types, but I soon learned it was really helpful. It helps Pokemon that are weak to a certain type fight back, in a way. As people have been saying, this would also make the games really boring, and learning different typed moves adds diversity.

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
Your freaking out that some Pokemon know moves of different types...

Think of this instead...What if your Charizard could learn Surf(its a water wave actually) or Oshawott could use FireBlast(wish is was like a fire bomb)....Dosnt make sense dosn't it?

Its set up to where Pokemon use moves that would be possible for them to use. Thats way you see that Charizard with mostly Fire moves or the Oshawott with water moves...Its simple but when they use a move of a different type,there a good reason for it...Charizard knows Twister even tho its a Dragon type because that dragon has wings for example.

Back