• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hey, got some recommendations?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Yeah I do! Wait what?

The recommendation thread!

SO
, what's this thread about you wonder? Well, this is a casual discussion thread where you can request some recommendations for movies, books, music, sports or anything in the world of entertainment! Just watched a movie and you want to find more like it? Then just post in the thread stating what you've just seen, maybe a bit about the movie, why you liked it, and of course the title and possibly even the genre if applicable. You may also give some recommendations. Have you just listened to an album and thought that maybe it would be a good listen for fans of a certain band? Well please do let us know! Express your admiration for it!

This is not a big review thread, this is a change to kick back and chat in a relaxed environment about what type of media you like and help others find what they need or what they might like. Feel free to trail off into a discussion about any books, music, movies or the likes but remember to try your best to help any one out who's looking for a recommendation. How about an example eh?

Someone looking for a recommendation said:
Hey, I just got an album by U2 named "Under the Joshua Tree", just wondering if anyone has any recommendations that would be something like this album since I really enjoyed it?

Someone replying to this person in need of a recommendation said:
Obviously I would look at some of U2's older albums if you like "Under the Joshua Tree" as they have fanastic work from the late 80's. But bands like U2 would include "The Passengers" or even "Simple Minds" remind me of them quite a bit. So look out for them! Personally I think you've chosen the best U2 album to listen to though, it's fantastic.

And so on! So, with that, I shall let the ball roll, and remember that the thread isn't too strict, you don't need to write an entire review or anything! So have fun.

Saitou

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
Okay, I was looking for an action/comedy movie yesterday and my friend said to try out The Other Guys. From the previews, it seems really funny and enjoyable. So, anybody here watched it and do you recommend it?

Edit: Watched it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Looking for good dystopian movies in the same vein as one or more of the following: The City of Lost Children, The Matrix, Blade Runner, 1984, V for Vendetta.
Pretty generic stuff, either oppressive organisation opposed by a few individuals or post-apocalyptic world; or both of course.
Thanks in advance.

Years
Looking for good dystopian movies in the same vein as one or more of the following: The City of Lost Children, The Matrix, Blade Runner, 1984, V for Vendetta.
Pretty generic stuff, either oppressive organisation opposed by a few individuals or post-apocalyptic world; or both of course.
Thanks in advance.
You might want to try Children of Men for some post-apocalyptigoodness. It's a heavy movie though. Darker and serious-er than ones like V for Vendetta. There's also Gattaca for some not-so-dark dystopian future where science has gone too far!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
You might want to try Children of Men for some post-apocalyptigoodness. It's a heavy movie though. Darker and serious-er than ones like V for Vendetta. There's also Gattaca for some not-so-dark dystopian future where science has gone too far!
I've seen Children of Men, a great recommendation though because I enjoyed that film a lot. I haven't seen Gattaca though so I will definitely look into that one. Thanks for the reply.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
For those who enjoy reading satire and fantasy, I would strongly recommend checking out Terry Pratchett's novels. He has written a variety of novels, most being set on the Discworld- a flat world powered essentially by magic. It parallels our own world in many, many ways. Pratchett has created several different story arcs within the overarching Discworld series: the Witches arc, centered around a group of witches and generally poking fun at people's perceptions of things; the Death arc, focusing on the 'life' of the anthropomorphic personification Death; the Tiffany Aching arc; written for younger readers about a trainee witch; the City Watch arc, the most action-packed storyline following the head of the City Watch in warding off the criminal elements in the biggest city on the Disc; and the Rincewind arc that follows the failed wizard Rincewind in his accidental exploration of the entire Disc.

TL;DR: Terry Pratchett is epic.

Sorry about the rather long post, I hope I don't put people off ^^; But I feel the need to gush, since he is my favorite author of all time.

Martins

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2014
Looking for a new interesting sci-fi movie to watch, since I haven't watch one in ages. Any help, guys?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Looking for a new interesting sci-fi movie to watch, since I haven't watch one in ages. Any help, guys?
I don't know any obscure sci-fi movies, so it's likely you've already heard of these, but anyway...
Blade Runner is in my top 5 favourite films of all time (if not #1) so I'd definitely recommend that. It's pretty serious stuff though, so not a good choice if you're looking for some light entertainment.
The Fifth Element is a bit more relaxed, with some comedy thrown in there as well. Still a pretty good movie.
Dune is a classic sci-fi novel. The movie got bad reviews though, and I haven't actually seen it myself, might be worth trying out because I know the plot is a good one.
Akira or Ghost in the Shell if you're into anime movies at all.
Minority Report, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Back to the Future, The War of the Worlds, and The Time Machine. All pretty well known, but I thought I would mention them just in case. I personally prefer the 1960 version of The Time Machine.
Or you could wait for Tron: Legacy which is being released in December.

Last edited:

Martins

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2014
Thank you for the recommendation, Vendak. I knew most of them, but I bought Blade Runner yesterday. Going to watch it tomorrow hopefully. Again, thanks.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
if you want new scifi, i'd point you to Splice. i haven't seen it yet, looks pretty good. see Sunshine if you're more interested in cinematography than the story (beeeeautiful soundtrack too)

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I have to agree with poopnoodle on Sunshine, it's a really good movie. But yes, the soundtrack is beautiful!

You've probably seen it, but Aeon Flux was a decent movie, not too sci-fi but it's certainly out there. It's got Charlize Theron as the lead, so if you're looking for ~star appeal~ or ~boobs~ you're sorted out there.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
ok cool libra _\|l/ 9_9

now someone give me some more old cartoons to watch plz- i've got animaniacs and hey arnold but i'm almost done with both! :S

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
ok cool libra _\|l/ 9_9

now someone give me some more old cartoons to watch plz- i've got animaniacs and hey arnold but i'm almost done with both! :S

Have you tried Catdog? Or Pinky and the Brain? Some of my childhood favourites.

I'm actually looking for a book or novel or perhaps a trilogy of some sort. Here's a list of things I like:

• Last series I read was The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, an adventure trilogy which is both gripping and heart felt with a strong twist of terror.
  • The Book of Lost Things is one of my favourites, it's a fantasy book which is a little creepy, but a great read, it follows a boy who goes through his transition from child to young adulthood in a very different way. It's a great fantasy book. Written by John Connolly who is in turn, my favourite author.
  • And something contrasting with the previous, I liked The Outsider by Albert Camus, it was an existentialist book, very select reading however, so I wouldn't expect too many references to that one.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Years
I'm actually looking for a book or novel or perhaps a trilogy of some sort. Here's a list of things I like:

• Last series I read was The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, an adventure trilogy which is both gripping and heart felt with a strong twist of terror.
  • The Book of Lost Things is one of my favourites, it's a fantasy book which is a little creepy, but a great read, it follows a boy who goes through his transition from child to young adulthood in a very different way. It's a great fantasy book. Written by John Connolly who is in turn, my favourite author.
  • And something contrasting with the previous, I liked The Outsider by Albert Camus, it was an existentialist book, very select reading however, so I wouldn't expect too many references to that one.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
The Hunger Games makes me think of The Giver by Lois Lowry because of the distopian elements, and it's very similar to Lord of the Flies (though I personally don't like that book and only mention it because other people I've talked to said they really enjoyed it). Similar story idea with kids fighting for survival, etc.

If you want something in the fantasy realm that's a little creepy then I'd try Neil Gaiman's books. Neverwhere is as good a place to start as anywhere, though I do like his short stories since they can be much darker than his novels. Garth Nix has a trilogy starting with a book called Sabriel. It's a fantasy series and I remember liking it when I read it years ago, but I can't say for certain if it would be to your liking, but I'm throwing it out there all the same.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 4, 2018
Heya everyone, I've recently got back into my movie watching mood, I basically just want some good recommendations for myself, I can sit through mostly any movie, besides some childish stuff, my top favorite movie genres are horror, drama, and action/adventure. It'd be great if you could help out with some recommendations for me. Thanks.

Ayselipera

Drama is more of my forte out of your genre list so let's see~

Anytime drama is brought up I tend to think the whole Godfather collection. The second one being amazing in every way. Another mobster movie that comes to mind is Goodfellas. It has a less serious note then the Godfather yet I find to be just as enjoyable. It's one of the few movies I always watch when I see it on TV.

Getting into the older part of drama I would recommend Citizen Kane. If you have heard of it, but don't know the ending please don't go and look it up. You'll completely ruin it for yourself! Anyways, it's one of the those classics that I don't know how you can't like. It just touches me in a weird way.

As for newer dramas then I would say try out Revolutionary Road. It stars Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio. (lololol Titanic) This was one of the more surprising dramas for me. At the time I had no interest in seeing it, but after being forced to watch it I really liked it! It hit me emotionally and I believe that if a movie can stir your own emotions it must be good.

Before I forget I should also mention Stand by Me! It's an adventure/drama/one of my all time favorite movies. It revolves around four young boys, but it isn't childish in the sense of the movie being about children. It's filled with that kind of what's going to happen next adventure feel to it. It's based on a book by Stephen King too. In case you're a big Stephen King fan. :)

Martins

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2014
Need another recommendation. I've become into history movies recently. The last movie I watched was Troy, and some other one [forgot its name]. Can anybody recommend me a good history movie? :D

monkeyandhead

I didn't train to be a Pilot.
Years
Two artists for you Music loving fans.

I just thought I might help spread these two bands around because I don't believe they have got that much attention, and I'm not doing it just for them to get attention, they sound great. Many people I recommend these bands to really enjoy them and end up getting hooked.

---

Circa Survive
They are a very experimental band, and yet all their music sounds perfect. They spend so much time just making sure everything on their songs runs smoothly and that everything fits. Some people might recognise the name Anthony Greene from Saosin, in Circa Survive his voice just highlights an already great sound. Two guitars, one usually running high pitch original riffs throughout the whole song and one with the backing chords. The riffs are also used along with the vocals and both mix so well. They have released three albums so far, each carrying a slightly different, yet exhilarating sound. From their opening album, Juturna, "In Fear and Faith" is one of those songs that highlights the whole album and really deserves some attention, along with a lot of the other songs from the album. While their newest album "Blue Sky Noise" carries a very clear cut juicy Rock sound, with several solos that just go so well with the songs. They are more soothing solos then blast it away solos.

If your going to start off listening to this band, search them up on YouTube, a lot of their very good songs will come up first, In Fear and Faith, The Different Between Medicine and Poison is the Dose and Act Appalled.

If your going to go out and buy an album straight away, I recommend starting with On Letting Go, it is one of those albums that is near perfection.

Portugal the Man
If your one of those very Indie people like me, or just general great music lovers, this is a very good band to get around. They are very Indie, utilizing a mixture of Rock, Jazz and Indie. A lot of sound effects and some nice bass to throw songs around. They are a very enjoyable band to listen to if you just want to hear something different every now and then. And they aren't very popular, not very popular at all, but their music makes up for that. Songs like "1000 Years" fit so perfectly within any music lovers iPod, I recommended this band to a few of my friends a while ago, and they listened to it days on end. Definately a band to look into. If your going to have a listen, try some of these songs; The Dead Dog, 1000 Years and Just a Fool.

If your going for an album, go for American Ghetto.

Your won't be wasting your time, trust me.

---

So I hope some people out there recognise the great music these two bands make, because I think they need more attention, the best thing about them is that they are very personable bands. I recall Circa Survive throwing fluro balloons into the crowd at one of their concerts, running a silent movie in the background and even cracking jokes at the start of their concerts. While Portugal the Man is one of those bands that could walk down the street and have a friendly chat with just about anyone.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
monkeyandhead I just just merged your thread with this one, in future if you have any recommendations, this is the best place to put them. Thanks.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I've listened to her all throughout the summer. The ArchAndroid was the CD I always had playing both at home and on the road. I'm looking to expand on that. Does anyone have any music recommendations for artists and bands that sound like Janelle Monáe?

Back