• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You pronounce that weirdly!

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
What words do you supposedly pronounce funny?

For me, the words lawyer, aunt, and sorry all get me funny looks. Of course, I'm not originally from Boston (where I live now) so I don't have their ridiculous interesting accent.
Boston accent vid:
Spoiler:

Anyways, people here pronounce the word aunt like awnt, while I prounounce it like ant. People here say loyer, and I prounounce it as if I were saying the word law followed by the word yer, if that makes sense. xD And people here say sawry, while I put more of an emphasis on the "o".

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I have never heard your pronunciation of lawyer.

The only thing I've been told I said weird is the word "golem" (both the Pokemon and the mythical creature). My boyfriend told me that I pronounce it like Gollum, not like goal-em like him haha.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
If it counts, I call soda "pop."

I also say aunt as ant, lawyer as law-yer, and all that jazz.

I say coupons as kyoo-pons but I hear it both ways.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
It doesn't often come up in conversation, but I pronounce words (and words similar to) marrow like 'maw-row' and I get funny looks. Tomorrow also ends up sounding like 'tuh-more-oh' despite not being British.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Due to far too much Top Gear, I don't pronounce car brands in the American way at all ever. .__. Also words I have read more than heard and then hear said on British television, I'll end up mimicking the way the speaker says it which, you know, earns me very odd looks. Since I'm Minnesotan and all. Other than those... I don't really speak enough for people to pick up on things I pronounce differently.

droomph

weeb
Years
AI DU NAT DHE SPIK DHE ENGRISH BADRI

I dunno, I speak just like everyone else, I guess.

Though I do come up with my own pronunciations, I just never say them to anyone else x] fe' example I come up with a sorta british-scottish-country accent for no reason other than because I can

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
This is probably more of wrongly pronouncing a word but I used to always say 'retry' and ree-tree. I don't know how I got onto the habit of this mispronunciation, but eh. My friends says that I always pronounce 'gone' weirdly, apparently I say gon instead of gorn.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I've been told I pronounce "button" like "buddin"

Also, apparently I randomly slip into light British while at home sometimes

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
There is quite a few words I pronounce different.
Lapis Lazuli - Lapi Lazuli, because I always thought it was French.
Perfect - Perfick, straight from the film Shaun of the Dead.

Anything with an R in it - I roll my R's quite a lot.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I refuse to pronounce 'Hyundai' and 'Tokyo' as is anything but Hyun-dai and To-kyo.
I don't and nor should anyone else say Hai-un-dai or Toak-ee-oh. lrn2japanese

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I tend to speak like most other people do in the Pacific Northwest - but with my Spanish accent.

If I don't know how to pronounce a certain word I'll try my best but it ends up like if a Spanish person [who doesn't know English] trying to read an English word. I do speak English, which is always strange and confusing for me.

Sorry, I don't have any examples at the moment, I edit when I do.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
When I refer to drinking water I pronounce it as "wooder" without thinking. I don't use that pronunciation for the element, strangely.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I can't think of anything I say weirdly that draws attention, but something that has always bothered me is the way Americans say "Hyundai". The Y is in that word for a reason people, stop saying "Hunday". You're wrong.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
I hate it when people pronounce the word "Herb" as "Erb".... There's an H in there, people!

I get my Horizons mixed up (Like the sunset Horizon, and the opposite of vertical, which is horizontal)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I can't really think of a good current example, but I'm sure they're many.

I do remember back when my middle school best friend still lived here, his mom used to crack up whenever I said the word pink, because apparently I pronounced it pank.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Aluminium - I can't pronounce it at all which is shameful for a chemist paha. Other than that I don't tend to pronounce many words weirdly, at least not that I've been told... Sometimes I'm told I say 'glass' wrong as I pronounce it as 'glahss' whereas a couple of my friends pronounce it 'glass' with the end sounding like a behind, but I guess that's just based on where we grew up. There's not really any words I've ever been called out on other than those two though.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I do pronounce a lot of words weirdly, yeah. I pronounce 'really' as 'rilly,' 'seriously' as 'sirisly,' and 'sorry' as 'surry.' One phrase that makes my friends go bonkers is, 'and I'm like,' which I pronounce as, 'enaymlayk.' I'm weird like that.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Wow, weird thread to come across. Stayed up until 3am last night with my roommates pronouncing different words we found on Wikipedia accent comparison lists. :P My one roommate is from the Southern US so we were comparing his accent to my other roommate's and my Canadian accents and it turns out even us two Canadians have different accents. I grew up all over Canada so I pronounce things with flairs from central Canada and eastern Canada especially, but my basis is probably what you'd find in central/southern Ontario. I also tend to pronounce almost every sound in a word assuming it's not meant to be fully silent and that is more a Canadian thing. (For example, we'll pronounce "tomorrow" as "to-morrow" instead of "t'morrow"... no letter left behind! :P)

I think the only words I pronounced quite differently from my other Canadian roommate were Toronto, lava, basil, syrup, dew, pecan, advertisement and... those are the only ones I remember, really.

Back