• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RPG help thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
I have seen over many RPG plots and post that many of you are having trouble with your RPG skills. I know many of you have good ideas in your head but can not get them to come out right..
This is were I come in. I will GLADLY help anyone with an RPG post or plot. I know from experience that making a RP can be difficult at times, I have made a quite a few mistakes over time as well but that hasn't stopped me. I asked for help from m fellow RPGers and MODS. They do help, you do not have to be scared of them. I was at first, and I admit I was a lousy RPer. But when I asked for help I got better.
So if you need help don't be afriand to ask...PM me if necessary. I will GLADLY help!

Randall-Kun

EDIT: If there are RPs that are not running smoothly or any that are have any one line post or one line plot I will PM the person posting that and tell them and if it keeps happening I will report it!

Last edited:

Master Kwesi Nkromah

"Pokéfan Kwesi"
Years
Hey, I think it's cool that you want to help Randall.
You should post some useful tips for new RP?ers. I'm sure there are allot of people in this community that wouldn?t even know where to get started. When you do, be sure to outline the necessary steps in detail. Make sure it?s clear and understandable to even the most newbish of RP?ers (like me). In other words, pretend that you?re already helping someone, and post your advice in your thread.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Yeah, I'll help too if neccessary, but I have a question of my own.

When your RPing, do you do fanfiction format,

like this?

with a complete space between the new quotes,

or do you push return/enter just once,
like this?

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
I will do that thank you VERY much MKN!

EDIT: To answer your question Naoko-chan, there are some people who do that. It isn't against the rules to do that. It might help people understand what is going on. But no you do not have to. That was a good question.

Ok, to start off for the new RPers who want to learn the basics this is where you might want to pay attention. When posting in a RP you don't just start typing what you are doing there are rules that run with RPs. First off, there is the form you must fill out. it is usually looks like this.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
FORM:

NAME:(What ever you want to be known as. Doesn't have to be your user name or your real name. It can be anything approriaite.)

DISCRIPTION: (Also means your apperance, make sure you have nothing to inapropriate.)

PERSONALITY:(What your character acts like, alot of people have thier character as nice but they tell as everyone. Make sure your personality is how you are going to act.

OTHER:(This is where you can put you can put other things you want people to know about you. Your history might be one of those things or there might not be anything else you want anyone to know. If so do the smart thing and put N/A)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now for the basics.
#1 MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT POSTING ONE SENTENCE POSTS!

#2 Discribe your soroundings.
EX. If your in a city tell the reader about the buildings,people,pokemon around you!

I dont want to see post like this.
EX. As Mike walked down the road he saw a Pikachu.

I want to see post like this.
EX. When Mike walked down the narrow road he spotted a Pikachu.
Something along those lines.

#3 When you are talking MAKE SURE YOU USE THESE ", other wise you could be thinking to yourself, we wont know.

Now on to thinking, when you are thinking about someting and you want the reader to know use italics,
EX. I know there is a way to save May! Shou thought to himself.

That is all I will post for now. If you have any questions I will gladly answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:

Alana

I still love this world...
Years
I'd be glad to help out with this if I can. ^_^ Can I be an assistant Randall? I have some tips as well.

Years
Blah sorry for not answering your PM's dude..only now getting aroud to um XD...anyways, this is all fine and dandy and what not, but this will be better off in the RPG Lounge :/

*moves*

Anyways, we have an idea discussion thread and a general discussion thread, but no help thread, so this is all good, dude.

Anyways, I would say anyone can help anyone in anyway, we don't want you to get bombarded by members requesting help so...all RPGers are up for grabs! XD

Anyways, awesome dude ^_-

*Gets her pins*

*Stickies*

Alana

Years
Cool. A stickied thread. If it were me Randall I'd feel so special now. :P But anyway, I'll go ahead and post some of the stuff I've learned over the year I've spent RPGing.

What Randall says is all correct. But you don't have to follow those directions exactly. Yes when posting speech you must use "tags" around your text. But that's just proper English. Use your own RPGing style. Good grammar is the main key and you must have at least four lines in your posts. Use description but be careful how you use it.

When typing a post it's better to write, 'The large building loomed up before her.', than it is to type, 'The large blue building that seemed to touch the sky and had at least a hundred windows that sparkled and were so clear you could see the people working inside, loomed up before her.' The most important thing is to make your posts flow and sound good. Other wise they can be a bit hard to read. You don't have to have very long posts each time. Don't keep adding on to try and make them better. When you've finished typing what you want to say, stop. In an attempt to make your post better, you may make it worse.

That's all I have to say right now. ^_^ :rambo:

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
Years
Since this is a help thread, I have to ask tis question: Whats wrong with my RPs? I've posted 2 RPs that friends of mine said were good, but they have gottne little or no response. Can somebody give me somes tips on improving my RPs? I'd really need to know what I'm doing wrong, so I can iron those problems out when I write up a special RP that I hope to post in the future.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
Alana said:
I'd be glad to help out with this if I can. ^_^ Can I be an assistant Randall? I have some tips as well.

Sure you can!

~*Strider*~ said:
Blah sorry for not answering your PM's dude..only now getting aroud to um XD...anyways, this is all fine and dandy and what not, but this will be better off in the RPG Lounge :/

*moves*

Anyways, we have an idea discussion thread and a general discussion thread, but no help thread, so this is all good, dude.

Anyways, I would say anyone can help anyone in anyway, we don't want you to get bombarded by members requesting help so...all RPGers are up for grabs! XD

Anyways, awesome dude ^_-

*Gets her pins*

*Stickies*

YEAH it got stickied! I feel special yay!!! And those who want to help can I see an RP sample...Alana I know you cna RP but everyone else PM me please!

GodofPH said:
Since this is a help thread, I have to ask tis question: Whats wrong with my RPs? I've posted 2 RPs that friends of mine said were good, but they have gottne little or no response. Can somebody give me somes tips on improving my RPs? I'd really need to know what I'm doing wrong, so I can iron those problems out when I write up a special RP that I hope to post in the future.

Send the links to me and I will check them out!

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Hmm...this seems like a good cause you have taken up here Randall-Kun. Would you mind terribly if I offered some tips as well? I do like to think of myself as a decent RPer and there are some mistakes that I see repeated over and over and consequently end up correcting time and time again. Maybe if they were posted here it would finally stop, or at least I could just point people here instead of repeating myself. At any rate, all the best for your mission to educate new RPers. ^^

Alana

Years
GodofPH the answer is simple. Your RPGs are good. But their plot isn't interesting. People prefer adventure, fantasy, movie based, show based, etc. Since many people don't know much about raptors they wouldn't be as interested as they would be in an RPG about Naruto. I'll admit Super Heroes isn't the best topic either. You have to play on what others will like as well as right a good RPG. ^_^

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I agree with what Alana said, and also, I'd like to state the reason I wouldn't join a superheros or raptors RP is this.

Superheros
-----------
1.This is waaay overused, and for RPG's like pokemon related, they just don't fit.
2.If this was not pokemon based, than, did you have a plot that sounded along the lines of this? 'you meet each other, battle a great foe, win, and the RP dies' if so, then, you're going too 'marvel' style. Maybe think up something that is completely original. And, another tip is, wait. It's the same for fanfictions. You don't always see a reviewer right after you post your new chapter. Same as this RPing.
3.If you had an exciting plot, that you knew that someone other than your friend (they're your friend, they're not going to say' oh it sucks') thought it was the greatest plot of all time, maybe you just have rotten luck. Try an exciting title?

Raptors
--------
1. I have no idea why I would even think about joining a 'raptors' RP, but I'm a girl, so what do I know? Besides, you may have agreat liking for Raptors, but do you think most of the pokemon oriented population will agree?

As for basic advice, you know what I hate the most? Descriptions that sound like this.

Name:Tina
Des.:Blonde hair, black jeans, and tight blue t-shirt.
Personality:Kind, Caring, Nice
Other:Tina is a girl that is always nice, and will always stop to help someone in need.

^That. Don't do that around me. I will bite your head off. Mary-sues, are the worst. Descriptions as stinky, and boring as that. Even worse! And what I hate EVEN MORE? LIttle. Tiny sentence. Fragments like. this. Period's are your friends, but like real friends, if you call on them too much, it gets annoying.

Also, spend time on your descriptions. Trust me, people can tell if you did your description in 2 minutes. If your in a hurry, but your absolutely determined to jion before you leave, then say you'll edit it late on in your post

Grammar is a MUST. If you don't like grammar, I don't know how you got where you are today. no matter how old you are. Nobody will accept you into an RPG if your grammar in your RPG sample simply....sucks. Unless it's a person like yourself whom hates grammar also, but that means you've just won yourself into a very low RPG, in which probably won't last very long.

I hope I've helped, and not repeated anyone in my post (I get the feeling I did, but oh well) And I hope that everyone leaving this thread from here on out will have a little more experience on RPG'ing, and a little more knowladge on just what it's all about.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
I am glad to see all those who want to help but those who do, SEND ME A PM!!! If I aprove of you helping then go ahead but like I said the only one who can help anyone besides me is Alana! Other wise dont offer help because you might mess them up....And Alter Ego....feel free to send newbies here! Actually I encourage it...If you see them making mistakes...point them here so we can help! ^^

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
whoops, sorry ^^; but, you still haven't really answered my question. You told DM that he didn't have to put a complete space in between the RPG, but now you tell me it doesn't really matter?! _ _; I'm so confused.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
You dont HAVE to put a complete space in between the RP lines...It's not against the rules...many people do it but you dont HAVE to... Does that help?

BTW Y was this unstickied???

Alana

Years
It's not against the rules no but it is not correct grammer. That's about all I can say on that. ^_^ I wouldn't recomend it because it can make posts harder to read.

Kurosaki

You dont HAVE to put a complete space in between the RP lines...It's not against the rules...many people do it but you dont HAVE to... Does that help?

BTW Y was this unstickied???
Too many threads were uneededly stickied, this one being one of them.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
I want ot know if anyone else is going to post here because if thier not just close this. Alana, If your still going to help I will say so in the first post and if anyone else wants to help thats fine..If not please lock this!

GodofPH

Submarket Zydrate Dealer
Years
Can someone help me polish this RP Idea?

Viewtiful Joe: Henshin Havok

This follows the events of Viewtiful Joe 2. At the end of VJoe 2, we see Joe, Silvia, Captain Blue, and Jet Black flying towards the final Gedow stronghold, a mysterious castle floating out in space. But its merely a trap, nothing more than a plot by Gedow forces to capture the heros. Joe, Jet, and Silvia are imprisoned, but Captain Blue manges to make an escape. Fleeing for the real world, Captain Blue gives V-Watches to an audience of teens watching the movie. These teens become VFX Warriors like Joe and Silvia. Charging into Movie World with their new-found powers, they begin a rescue mission. All the while, a luminous foe known as The Clockmaker, creator of the Black VFX Watch that corrupted Jet, is preparing his ultimate Gedow warriors to conquer the real world.

I tried to make a story similar to the plots of VJoe 1 and 2, while still making it feasible for an RP. Can I has some comments or criticisms on this plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back