• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mugshots in text~

How was this tutorial?

• Good Job, make more!

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Okay job, could have done better.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Not well explained, instructions were unclear.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • lol no u suck.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
Hello! My name is Dema, and today I will be showing you how to insert a Mugshot that looks like this basic pixel art mugshot of Brock-

9vQ7ah9.png

To this-

UVccPL5.png

So, without further or do, lets go into what you need to have.

Mugshots for your trainer/Pokemon. I use this picture from NeoSeeker.com-
*And from what ive seen these are from the games, so no credit is needed*

Wichu's Advance Series
Or something to insert your mugshot with.

Some sort of script editor
In this- I will be using PKSV-UI, but you can use any by altering the script slightly.
Some basic scripting knowledge
This is essential.
Advance Map for script insertion

Good- Now that were dont with that, howabout we get started with the tutorial.

Inserting your mugshot to your ROM-
First, resize/cut a mugshot down to 64x64 and put a colour THAT IS NOT USED in the sprite/mugshot itself.
I.E- If I have a may sprite with a red hat, pale skin, and a blue tshirt, I would make the background a light pink, since its used NO WHERE in the sprite. That is now the transparent layer for the sprite.

Now, open Wichu's Sprite Editor and go to one of the many ??? sprites after 153. For this example I will be using #154, or FE in hex. *That will be important later*
Now, insert your sprite into that ???. Once you have inserted it and written to ROM, close it. Your done!

Writing the script-
Now, this can be a confusing part one what to put, so ill break it down.
Code:
#org @start
lock 
faceplayer 
[COLOR="Red"]showpokepic 0xFE 0x0 0x2[/COLOR]
msgbox @text ' Wassup Bruh.
callstd MSG_NORMAL
[COLOR="Red"]closeonkeypress
hidepokepic[/COLOR]
release
end

Red represents important parts of that script.
Showpokepic -- shows the mugshot
0xFE -- The Pokemon's number in HEX.
0x0 and 0x2 -- The X and Y cords on the screen. I use 0x0 0x2 because its in the bottom corner just above the textbox.

Closeonkeypress -- This tells the script to close itself, so the mugshots doesn't stay there after the script is ended.
Hidepokepic -- This hides the sprite after you use the closeonkeypress command.

Now compile and copy the offset.

Inserting the sprite into the ROM-
Now, go ahead and open up Advance Map and load your rom. Head to the map you wish to insert the event into. Make a new person event and put in your compiled offset in the appropriate box.
Save- and its inserted!

Now, it should look like the example in the beginning.
UVccPL5.png

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
Just to add. Destinedjagold told me the positions he used for showpokepic.
0x0 (left) or X = 0x14 (right), and Y = 0x3. Callstd doesn't work for me. :(

Im using PKSV-UI. A few script adjustments in xse like i believe

Msgbox @text 0x6
I think just looking at a script example for XSE you can see how to make adjustments.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Im using PKSV-UI. A few script adjustments in xse like i believe

Msgbox @text 0x6
I think just looking at a script example for XSE you can see how to make adjustments.

I mean other scripter used callstd on XSE before. I forgot the reason why mine doesn't work. lol

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
I'll try this. Well this looks good. And makes a script more complicated but as being a scripter, i'll take this.

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
I'll try this. Well this looks good. And makes a script more complicated but as being a scripter, i'll take this.

Well for me, i just save a basic script, and then open it, edit it to my needs, and save time with having a template for the script.

blue

gucci
Years
Tried this and it worked perfectly, the only issue I had was when applying to Brawly in Emerald. Since his Gym is virtually pitch black and only a little light is available, instead of displaying his mugshot, there is just a white box. Other than that though great, straight forward tutorial.

BrendanSceptile

147x World Champion
Years
Excellent tutorial! I wish more people could write tutorials this well...

Question:
What are the scripting differences between FRLG and RSE when entering mugshots?

Back