• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[NU] Counter that 'mon!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ONLY FOR NU POKEMON.

So Wolf approved of this, and shnen and I figured it would be fun to bring here because while there is a slight game aspect, it's more a type of discussion thread. Now time to explain, ya? n_n

What each poster does is post a NU Pokemon, and the next poster posts a set and a Pokemon that can counter it, and posts a few lines explaining how it could beat it. The following poster then posts how to beat the Pokemon in the post before. Also give damage calculations if possible. And then if you want to go in depth discussing the metagame (or replying to someone's "counter" to help improve it), then you make a separate thread for that!

Also, don't reuse Pokemon & use actually viable sets please!

Definition of a counter: A Pokémon that can switch into the opposing Pokémon with little or no risk, and proceed to threaten a KO. Basically, a counter is the perfect switch-in to a Pokémon.

For example...

Poster A:
Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Trait: Levitate
-Shadow Ball
-Will o Wisp
-Taunt
-Pain Split

Poster B:
Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Trait: Guts
-Facade
-Brave Bird
-U-turn
-Pursuit
Swellow can switch into any of Misdreavus' moves due to its immunity to Shadow Ball and its ability of Guts gives it a boost to its attack if hit by Will O Wisp. Swellow can then proceed to either Brave Bird to deal lots of damage to Misdreavus, Pursuit it on the switch or U-turn to gain momentum over the opponent.
Spoiler:

Poster C:
Regirock @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Trait: Clear Body
-Stealth Rock
-Rock Slide
-Drain Punch
-Earthquake
Regirock can switch into any of Swellow's moves with ease due to its colossal base 200 Defence and Rock typing which grants it resists to both of Swellow's STAB moves. It can then set up Stealth Rock or attack an incoming Pokemon.
Spoiler:

And so on like that! Wolf also wants your posts to be perfect.

Now to begin...

Sawk@Choice Band
Sturdy
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Misdreavus@Eviolite
Levitate
252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold
- Shadowball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Heal Bell

With Shadowball as a powerful STAB move along with Will-O-Wisp I should be able to 2HKO Sawk, especially with no defensive EVs, and between my EV spread, Eviolite, and Heal Bell, Misdrevous is practically indestructible, not to mention the fact that her typing makes her immune to fighting type and normal type moves.

I think I've said quite enough!

Last edited:
Years
217.gif
@ Leftovers
Careful Nature
132 HP / 48 Atk / 236 SpD / 92 Spe
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Return
-Crunch

Ursaring takes Psychics easily and sets up on missy, and if he gets burnt his Attack gets boosted. EV spread lets his sub live an amoonguss sludge bomb while outspeeding alomomola, the attack is what's left over.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly (+Spe; -SpA)
Blaze
4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Flare Blitz
~ Superpower
~ Wild Charge
~ Head Smash

Emboar out speeds Ursaring with or without a Choice Scarf. Superpower OHKO's.
Spoiler:

Years
eh that really isn't too good of a 'counter' as return does a ton at +0 def
(48Atk Guts Ursaring (Neutral) Return vs 4HP/0Def Emboar (Neutral): 56% - 66% (204 - 240 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.) and if ursaring gets up a sub on the switch then emboar actually dies more than half the time after rocks and def drops: 48Atk Guts Ursaring (Neutral) Return vs 4HP/0Def -1 Emboar (Neutral): 84% - 99% (306 - 361 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO
A counter should be a pokemon which can switch into any of a Pokemon's moves without taking significant damage from any of them and do significant damage back; Emboar doesn't really fit this criteria
nica wants me to post a counter to emboar anyway so:
594.gif
@ Leftovers
Impish Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Trait: Regenerator
-Waterfall
-Protect
-Wish
-Toxic
Alomomola takes any of Emboar's weak Scarfed attacks, keeps itself healthy with Wish and 2hkoes with Waterfall or Toxics a switch-in
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
amoonguss @ leftovers
bold
252 hp / 252 def
regenerator
- giga drain
- sludge bomb
- spore
- filler

alomo does absolutely nothing to amoong, while amoong 2hkoes with giga drain.

Giga Drain: 264-312 (49.43 - 58.42%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I like this thread. Can we keep it going plz?

Miltank @ Life Orb
Jolly [+Speed ; -Sp. Attack]
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Sap Sipper
- Double Edge / Return
- Earthquake
- Punishment
- Milk Drink

Damage calculator is a spaz so I'll get to that later, but the set kind of speaks for itself I guess. Miltank can switch into Spore and (after a free attack boost) hit with STAB Double Edge. That's at least going to OHKO Charizard after SR. And after that Attack boost, not much can switch into that and Earthquake.
I was going to do Magmortar.. but isn't he RU? Does that still count? ;w;

Years
Moofensive Miltank can be a pain in the ass, but a few pokes stop it cold.

BIGLUVDISC (Alomomola) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Toxic
- Protect
- Wish

A stardard physically defensive alomololololola should do the trick. It can switch comfortably even into a boosted double edge, and even with the attack boost, Miltank fails to 3hko the luvdisc. It can then toxic-wish stall the cow, and with the large amounts of recoil from LO+double edge, the cow is not lasting long.

There is also a more offensive approach when dealing with the cow

Gurdurr (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Eviolite Gurdurr is one of the most overlooked and underrated fighting type in the whole tier. +0 LO'd double edge deals around 122 and 144 HP, hardly a 3hko and probably not even that when factoring in the recovery from drain punch. Even at +1, a double edge is not enough to 2hko gurdurr if gurdurr had the recovery from drain punch(but if hit on the switch it has a good chance to 2hko), while gurdurr can ohko with a drain punch + mach punch combination if miltank has taken the recoil damage from double edge + LO.

ya, gurdurr ftw

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'll just counter Gurdurr cause it's the last one you posted.

479-fan.gif

Rotom-S @ Choice Specs
Timid [+Speed ; -Attack]
4 Defense / 252 Sp.Attack / 252 Speed
Levitate
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

This set can totally shut down Evolite Gurdurr, removing all of Gurdurr's Evolite provided bulk with Trick, and smashing his ability to set up Bulk Up. Rotom-S also resists all of Gurdurr's fighting type attacks.

Air Slash: 168-200 (44.91 - 53.47%) - 2HKO after SR

Years
Gurdurr has a chance to ohko Rotom-S with mach punch if hit on the switch with +0 ice punch and Rocks are up(as Ice Punch deals over 50%), but it's unlikely.

Anyway,

Frostitute (Rotom-F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Rotom-F resists every move Rotom-s has, isn't crippled by trick, and outspeeds and ohkos Rotom-s with blizzard(provided it doesn't miss, which it will).

Blizzard does between 323 and 380 damage, easy ohko

kierany9

Pokemon Master of the world
Years
NU has some pretty darn good Pokemon.

Camerupt @ Fire Gem
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Hyper Beam
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Camerupt resists every move Ice Rotom has. Eruption, at full health, STAB, super effective and boosted by Fire gem is a whopping 675 base damage. Enough to beat anything any day.
You're going to have a hard time countering this Pokemon, that's for sure.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
YGFaN.gif

ihavenoheadahh (Altaria) @ Leftovers
Careful nature
252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake

Altaria switches in; absorbs a Fire Gem boosted Eruption (41% max); set ups a Dragon Dance while being hit with HP Rock (34%); uses Roost twice to heal and with its Flying-type gone, HP Rock deals pitiful damage (17%) (Altaria now has 83% full health); dances with the dragons again; heals once more with Roost; and lastly, Altaria proceeds to 2HKO Camerupt with a +2 Earthquake (62% min). edit: I didn't even count Leftovers, oh well.

Choice Specs Altaria could be used as well, but Draco Meteor isn't a guaranteed OHKO without entry hazards.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Regirock @Leftovers
Adamant nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Stealth Rock

A +2 Earthquake from Altaria does pitiful damage to Regirock, while Regirock threatens to 2HKO Altaria with a stab Stone Edge (with stealth rock damage). Even if Altaria chooses to attack with +2 Dragon Claw, the result will be the same iirc. Altaria can keep using Roost but it's downfall would be inevitable. lol

I hope I got this right, and that my calcs were actually correct. If not, feel free to correct me!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
opldp.gif

Leafeon @ Leftovers
Impish nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Leaf Blade
- Wish
- Protect
- Roar​

Regirock only manages to do 32% max with Stone Edge, while Leafeon can heal off the damage easily. Stone Edge has low PP, so Leafeon won't have difficulty PP stalling Regirock's Stone Edge. Leafeon can either use Leaf Blade and 4HKO Regirock, or force Regirock to switch with Roar.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2012
Charizard @ Life Orb
Modest nature
252 SpAtk/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
-Flamethrower
-Hidden power grass
-Dragon pulse
-Focus blast
Charizard can easily out speed the leafeon and is a OKO with the flamethrower
Damage: 368 - 434 of 334 HP
110% - 129%

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
1wpYX.gif

Flareon @ Leftovers
Calm nature
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect​

Charizard's strongest attack versus Flareon is Focus Blast, which only 5HKOes (if even that). Not to mention Focus Blast has very unreliable accuracy. Flareon is able to Toxic Charizard, and give it a slow and painful death.

EONSSS.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
503.gif

Samurott
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Megahorn
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 112 HP/252 Atk/144 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

Barring an unlucky burn from Lava Plume or being poisoned by Toxic, Samurott can easily switch in to Flareon and proceed to either KO it with Waterfall or set up Swords Dance as it switches out.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2012
Amoongus
nature: Bold
ability: Regenerator
Item: Leftovers
-Giga drain
-spore
-protect
-hidden power ice
With giga drain its a 2HKO. with protect he can easily gain back health that he loses. Plus amoonguss can regain health through his giga drain and put samurrot to sleep with spore or put another pokemon to sleep on the switch

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Zebstrika @Choice scarf
Modest nature
Ability: Sap Sipper
4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
- Overheat
- Volt Change
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice

Spore and Giga Drain are ineffective against this Zebstrika. HP Ice deals around 30% damage, give and take a few numbers, while Zebstrika threatens to OHKO with Overheat.

kierany9

Pokemon Master of the world
Years
YGFaN.gif

ihavenoheadahh (Altaria) @ Leftovers
Careful nature
252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake

While using Roost, Altaira becomes vunerable to Camerupt Earth Power. Also, I believe my Camerupt can OHKO Zebstrika.

If not...

Throth @ Focus sash
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Shadow Claw
-Rest

Earthquake. Plain and simple.

Back