• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Homosexuality.

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
What's your stance on it? What're your take on issues like gays in the military, gay marriage and gays adopting? Or any other issues you feel should be brought to light?
Please, no flaming.

Last edited by a moderator:

droomph

weeb
Years
What's your stance on it?
It's okay, since you're the only one you're affecting. The main problem is the Bible followers that think homosexuality is wrong. Which I don't mind, just don't make us suffer; we can't help it.
What're your take on issues like gays in the military, gay marriage and gays adopting?
If straight guys/gals/couples can do it, so can we. We're not aliens from Pluto or anything, so calm down.
Or any other issues you feel should be brought to light?
I need to make sure that everyone understands that "being gay" means "I like men", and that it's something you can't control. However, "I want men" is the part that is so wrong in the Bible, and is the part that you can control, so yeah...right hand *wink*

Last edited by a moderator:

blue

gucci
Years
What's your stance on it? What're your take on issues like gays in the military, gay marriage and gays adopting? Or any other issues you feel should be brought to light?
Please, no flaming.

I have no problem with any of it at the end of the day we are all human, it's nothing that should be judged upon but that's just my opinion.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I have no problem with any of it at the end of the day we are all human, it's nothing that should be judged upon but that's just my opinion.
I agree, with you. These people should get the same treatment the rest of us do. We need human equality for all groups (Race,Sex( aka male/Female), ethnicity, nationality, ect.) The world would be a better place if we just accepted everyone...
Also not all anti-homo people are white, look at the middle east...

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
Just thought I should clarify, I'm completely pro-choice. I don't care if you wanna be gay or what. Your love life is no concern of mine. I just wanted to see other people's opinion, 'cause this subject brought up where I live(the south) can get one exiled.

droomph

weeb
Years
Just thought I should clarify, I'm completely pro-choice. I don't care if you wanna be gay or what. Your love life is no concern of mine. I just wanted to see other people's opinion, 'cause this subject brought up where I live(the south) can get one exiled.
Really? Still? That's harsh, I thought all that was over when the Supreme Court and KKK and the black people and the schools and all that stuff...

Oh well whatever I'm in California and ignorant idiots like me live here

Bela

Banned
Years
Please, no flaming.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAY GUIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZ =P

Winter Wonderland said:
'cause this subject brought up where I live(the south) can get one exiled.
What?! That's crazy! And also unfortunate. =(

I've heard of some recent laws passed in some states, like Tennessee, which "ban" discussion of homosexuality in classrooms. What good does that do?

Years
I treat gay people the exact same as straight people most of the time. I honestly never saw what benefit they got from keeping people in the closet when in the army or why they still don't allow gay people to get legally married. To be honest I've still not formed an opinion on allowing gay people to adopt. I know that they would love and care for the child as much as any other straight couple would but I think that if a same sex male couple were to bring up a girl they wouldn't have the same experiences that a same sex couple would have.

One issue that I think is still around is the gap between gay and straight people. Most of it not even coming from straight people. From what I've seen in the gay community all the horror stories of people getting violently abused by family and friends or even strangers because of their sexuality have caused a lot of non-heterosexual people to automatically assume that straight people will discriminate against them. The same goes for religious people. I know a lot of people who will immediately begin to dislike someone or look down upon someone because they worship a deity and automatically assume that they will judge them and try to convince them to convert because of their sexuality.

Years
My stance on homosexuality is the same as my stance on heterosexuality (or any sexuality). It's something that should not even be an issue. A person's sexuality has no bearing on their ability to raise children, serve in the military, or marry another person so long as that other person also wants to get married. Arguments that say otherwise are convoluted excuses to hide intolerance or misguided attempts to influence things people don't fully understand.

Years
Really? Still? That's harsh, I thought all that was over when the Supreme Court and KKK and the black people and the schools and all that stuff...

Oh well whatever I'm in California and ignorant idiots like me live here

Kidding me? there are large amount of people who believe interracial marriages should be illegal and that gays are an abomination.

KKK is still alive and so are white supremacists they have a lot more traction in the south than they do any where else. people in the south are very much stuck in their old ways. Some do realize that its BS and stray from the pack and i say thats good because Ignorance kills.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
I'm very much for the rights of homosexuals to be open about their sexuality, being gay myself. I also support the rights for gay people to get married if they choose to do so, and I find that most arguments that are thusfar given against it tend to revolve around simple argumentum ad traditionalis and the wrongful belief of the church that they somehow invented the concept of marriage and have full monopolical rights over whom the services can and cannot be offered to. While I wholeheartedly agree that churches shouldn't be forced to offer their services to people they don't want to, it's wrong to force churches that are willing to not offer them at all.

Marriage in today's society is a legal contract, and people should not be barred from entering such legal contract and be prevented from getting the benefits from it just because some churches wish to protect the sanctity of their concept of marriage like they're the sole owners of it. That gay marriage is allowed in the Netherlands, and was actually the first country to do so, makes me very lucky, and I hope that more and more countries will adopt similar laws to allow gay marriages to take place.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
I don't care who you go to bed with, just don't get me involved. I think that way with everything, and frankly I don't think it's fair that the churches should be forcing their beliefes. I also think refusing someone whos gay just for that reason is pointless. You want work done, they want money, it's a win win. It doesn't matter what they do in their spare time, it's not like they're going to do every man/woman they see instead of doing work. What's next, I'm I going to be denied to work somewhere because I like Green?

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 6, 2013
Or any other issues you feel should be brought to light?

First of all, I am pretty damn close to being gay. As you might expect, I support the legalisation of gay marriage and all that jazz.

But the main thing I wanted to bring up is the use of the word "gay" to refer to anything bad. Not sure how universal it is, but it's pretty common in my area. While I wouldn't say it's homophobic, it's pretty damn offensive. All it does is draw unnecessary parallels between being gay and being bad. There are plenty of words which have negative meanings, why not use one of them instead of a word which is already used to refer to an entire group of people?

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
I hate them all! 8D
Naw, I love them all, being gay myself. I don't hate religious people, just religious nuts that force their beliefs on others. Same goes for a lot of things. Much of what I would say has been said already, so: it doesn't affect anyone other than those involved, and like Scarf said, any arguments that say otherwise are basically thin veils on homophobia or just plain not understanding it.

But the main thing I wanted to bring up is the use of the word "gay" to refer to anything bad. Not sure how universal it is, but it's pretty common in my area. While I wouldn't say it's homophobic, it's pretty damn offensive. All it does is draw unnecessary parallels between being gay and being bad. There are plenty of words which have negative meanings, why not use one of them instead of a word which is already used to refer to an entire group of people?

I'm guilty of doing that. Not so much as of late. I think it's more out of habit than anything, and the fact that I'm able to say that is probably really sad, lol.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Me liking guys is no different than my favorite color being orange. Most people don't like orange, but they don't freak out about that. Why is my favorite gender any different? Not that I really have a choice in the matter in the first place.

I have learned one fairly important thing from being a gay Christian though... it's impossible to change your views on homosexuality until it affects you personally. Most Christians are completely ignorant of what it even means to be gay... and if someone tried to explain it to them, they would close their minds and say that they're attacking their faith. The only way for them to understand it is, once again, for them to be affected by it personally, whether it is their own feelings (In which case, there's probably a very high chance that they'll go into denial.) or a sibling's/friend's.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years

First of all, I am pretty damn close to being gay. As you might expect, I support the legalisation of gay marriage and all that jazz.

Well, I've never felt offended by it when people say something is gay when they mean to say something's stupid. I might sometimes jokingly pretend to get offended just to get awkward reactions, but heck, I sometimes use it myself from time to time. Besides, if we'd go back to the original meaning of it, it's just happy.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
[SIZE="a"]I'm all for secular marriage for homosexuals...and I'm one of those Catholic nutjobs that are supposed to be in opposition to it. The way I see it, as long as the government doesn't force the church to abide by something that it doesn't agree with, the people can do anything they want.[/SIZE]

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
[SIZE="a"]I'm all for secular marriage for homosexuals...and I'm one of those Catholic nutjobs that are supposed to be in opposition to it. The way I see it, as long as the government doesn't force the church to abide by something that it doesn't agree with, the people can do anything they want.[/SIZE]

This I agree with.

The various churches among all different religions cannot influence law to their beliefs. Also, the government cannot make laws to inhibit practice of the church, unless it causes detriment to others.

A church has every right to reject Muslims, Protestants(any other sect), interracial couples, or same-sex couples from marriage or participation in mass. It's really that churches loss if it decides to do that. However, the government should not be able to decide which doctrines to follow. That is why popular opinion, although leaning in favor of same-sex marriage, should not even factor in federal and state legislation; this is a civil rights issues. Therefore, these referendums and propositions that involve popular decision should not be used to determine the constitutionality.

I am certain that same-sex marriage and adoption will become legal within this decade. How will this affect heterosexual marriage? ...It will not have a direct negative effect on heterosexual marriage by any means. So basically, gay people and supporters of gay rights have something to look forward to, everyone else will not be affected...Unless you are a politician ;)

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 6, 2013
Well, I've never felt offended by it when people say something is gay when they mean to say something's stupid. I might sometimes jokingly pretend to get offended just to get awkward reactions, but heck, I sometimes use it myself from time to time. Besides, if we'd go back to the original meaning of it, it's just happy.

It doesn't offend me either, but it is quite damaging none the less.

Fair enough, gay hasn't always meant homosexual... but now it does. It's not as if gay people are being called something else, the new meaning hasn't replaced homosexual, it's parallel to it.

This isn't a comparison I enjoy making, but it would be like saying "That's so Muslim" or "That's so African people". You're directly comparing something negative to an entire group of people, and people wont just assume that "Gay" only means bad when it refers to something other than gay people, associations are made.

Also, why "Gay"? Why a word that's already being used to refer to gay people? It's hard to assume there's no malicious intentions behind the use of gay as an insult when gay people aren't historically the most liked group.

Back