• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitney's Shaymin

Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Years
Here's my Route 3. I'm trying to get better tilesets but anyways...

othvkx.jpg

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Here's my Route 3. I'm trying to get better tilesets but anyways...

othvkx.jpg

@pokemoner2500, the may is wayyyyy too straight and empty and the patches of grass are pretty randomly placed; on every route a play should be forced to walk through grass and here the player can avoid all of it.

I suggest using flowers, ledges, pathways and less random patches of grass. Also try to make the map more natural by removing the 'man-made' feel to it. Maybe by putting in more trees or maybe by removing some.

http://callmegav.deviantart.com/art/Route-One-265599445

This map here is one of Abnegation's maps and although this is a big map it has no empty space which the player could be lost in. It doesn't have to look like this but could have more shape to it.

Hope this advice helps.

nuzamaki90

Knight of The Volt
Years
Some of you have seen it already but Id still like some constructive criticism and opinions on this next map. Just to inform you, it's a little big and the huge empty space is there for a reason because that part of route isn't finished and its connecting to another map and I only wanted to show this one.

So this is Route 16 of Rasen, it's one of my larger maps and it connects to Route 17 which is a shaped like a slope. On this route you actually have to travel with one of your rivals

Spoiler:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Some of you have seen it already but Id still like some constructive criticism and opinions on this next map. Just to inform you, it's a little big and the huge empty space is there for a reason because that part of route isn't finished and its connecting to another map and I only wanted to show this one.

So this is Route 16 of Rasen, it's one of my larger maps and it connects to Route 17 which is a shaped like a slope. On this route you actually have to travel with one of your rivals

Spoiler:

I actually like those maps. Their general layout is quite nice. Several issues I see, though. For one, the player can go through all the routes completely bypassing the tall grass. Unless you don't own a Pokemon at this stage, the way forward should have some wild encounter obstacles. Then the "S" shaped paths - I really don't see the point of those. You could have just made them straight, and added some general decorations to the sides or something. Some of your trees are weirdly resized. My final comment would be on the bottom left area. It looks really awkward and unnatural. It's just really random - don't know what else to say. Other than that, I do like the shape of your maps.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Spoiler:

well...it's been a while since i posted a map here
This is just a test map to show off some tile's I've been messing with; its a mix of custom and kyledove's public tiles erma96's grass tile I customized

I generally dont use a style like this so I really just need to know if it looks good I guess, haha

Last edited:

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
Spoiler:

well...it's been a while since i posted a map here
This is just a test map to show off some tile's I've been messing with; its a mix of custom and kyledove's public tiles erma96's grass tile I customized

I generally dont use a style like this so I really just need to know if it looks good I guess, haha

I like it. The colours blend nicely and the atmosphere is good. I do think that the two big grass patches are a bit too big.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I like it. The colours blend nicely and the atmosphere is good. I do think that the two big grass patches are a bit too big.

haha, thanks! I'm a big fan of your work so it feels awesome that you like it, I noticed a couple errors of my own (such as the colors of the tree-truncks and stumps, and the PC placement, but these are all tileset errors I'm fixing)
anyway, I see what you mean about the grass, I'll see what I can do :P

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I'm trying out a new grass tile. Tell me what you think of it.

av24bb.jpg

It's very well done, but the shadows beneath the leafs are too dark, which makes the tile look very square.

Also: Map showcase and review isn't the best thread to ask for critique on individual tiles.
Use the screenshot showcase instead. ;D

As for the map itself: 6/10
Nothing really bad about it, but it's pretty boring and very square.
Try adding a few ledges or mountains.
And also: The style of "randomly placed" tall grass doesn't really look good in my opinion.
Try to group it up instead.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Here is "Sacred Grotto".
There is a couple issues with the mountain tiles i need to fix, but i like these new tiles.
I am currently making them match a bit better.

Spoiler:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Here is "Sacred Grotto".
There is a couple issues with the mountain tiles i need to fix, but i like these new tiles.
I am currently making them match a bit better.

Spoiler:

minor issues aside, the map is decent, I'd say 8/10
There's nothing that really blows my mind, but its a very good map and the tiles are nice - I like what you're goin' for here. The sand patch on the right always throws me, because I personally do not like the whole 2 edge touch design that many people use; I suppose its fine but its always something I never liked - it feels like you ran out of room and wanted to squeeze it in there. Of course that's my own problem, and others may thing differently.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Here is Jacalob City, a town of beauty and peace.
Spoiler:

I like the setup, looks like it can be a nice city. I would recommend adding cliffs and more trees to fill it in a bit. It's kind of open. But hey, i started the same way. Lol

Here is my map. Its kind of a hidden village. I added in Sprites to make it look how it would in a screenshot. Caution: Quite wide!

Spoiler:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Here is my map. Its kind of a hidden village. I added in Sprites to make it look how it would in a screenshot. Caution: Quite wide!

Spoiler:

I like this Harvey, well done, I like that the trees look like they've been there a while and have grown in their own way and not man made (square or symmetrical)... Can't fault it, except for one thing, the cliff doesn't finish on the left side of the map.
So you can only get here by flying then?!

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
I like this Harvey, well done, I like that the trees look like they've been there a while and have grown in their own way and not man made (square or symmetrical)... Can't fault it, except for one thing, the cliff doesn't finish on the left side of the map.
So you can only get here by flying then?!
O_O I PUT A TREE OVER IT!

Oh gawd, i need to sleep. Ill fix that in a bit. Thanks. My question is, Do all of the tiles match? Obviously beside the waterfall.(Heavily edited in paint cause i was hating GIMP.) But I need to know if the trees match the mountains and grass.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
O_O I PUT A TREE OVER IT!

Oh gawd, i need to sleep. Ill fix that in a bit. Thanks. My question is, Do all of the tiles match? Obviously beside the waterfall.(Heavily edited in paint cause i was hating GIMP.) But I need to know if the trees match the mountains and grass.

I think it fits well.
My only complaint is that the mountains and shore have different brown colors.
Use the same ;D

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
Not one of the best maps on here, but I figure this is the best place to get some proper suggestions and criticism.

Route X4 of my game.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Not one of the best maps on here, but I figure this is the best place to get some proper suggestiona and criticism.

Route X4 of my game.
Spoiler:

I like it. The things i dont like though are 1 tile wide grass, and the fact that the grass is on dirt. It wouldnt function as a good playable map. try making everything you walk on/thru at least 2 tiles wide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back