• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your favorite Pokémon growing up?

Years
Hi! I moved this over to the Pokémon General forum since it's the best place to ask general questions like these!

When I was growing up, mine was for sure Pikachu. I just thought it was so cool, especially Ash's, and really loved it. Then as a pre-teen I started loving Banette a lot and used it often in the games. <3 I still like both but they're not my favorites anymore like they used to be aha.

Years
hmm... might've been Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite tbh.
Also Charizard and Blastoise initially until I got fed up with seeing them everywhere 😅

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Vulpix, Ditto, Raichu, Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Cubone, Chansey.

Years
The people above have some of the best childhood favorites, I relate so well. =')

Just thought of some more: Butterfree, Lapras, Bulbasaur. All of a sudden I'm getting vivid flashbacks to being a kid and pretending to be a Bulbasaur while 'Pokémon battling' my cat at the time lol. poor cat I'm so sorry

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Ho-Oh had been my favorite for YEARS! I'd always looked up to my cousin for his video game skills, so I was thrilled when I beat his Blue Version team on Pokémon Stadium 2, wiping out most of it with my Ho-Oh from Silver (which I had named LOVE, under the impression that naming Pokémon after positive emotions made them stronger). I'd had trouble beating Red on Mt. Silver too, but my cousin told me that I could probably beat him now with my Ho-Oh, so I tried again and it worked! Its appearance in the first episode of the anime was also really neat and mysterious.

My favorite has changed a few times since.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Always been Treecko. Except the dark ages known as 2007 where Psyduck was my favorite for maybe a few months. Never changed since, I love my little gecko.

Years
Oh, it's a toughie. I'll cop to Charmander getting overexposed, but I still wouldn't have gone anywhere without my starter, and Charmander was my favourite of the bunch back in the day. I'm less inclined to pick the Fire-type starter than when I was younger, but you know, every child's got a little arsonist in them ready to break out.

Although there's some stiff non-starter competition. I always felt Caterpie looked cute, I loved that weird-looking Abra and was pretty glad to finally catch one of those (curse your Teleport!), and Ralts immediately grabbed my eye back when I randomly found one back when first playing Ruby.

Tell you the truth, I was never good at commiting to 'a fave' even as a kid. There's a long, storied history of me being asked my favourite film and then freezing up.

Last edited:

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
Always has been, and always will be, Piplup. Piplup (and Empoleon) have a special place in my heart. Piplup was the first Pokemon I ever saw and I thought it was the cutest of the 3 Sinnoh starters, and Empoleon was my first fully evolved starter.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
First gen, always liked Cubone and Haunter. Would rush to Lavender Tower (and do the whole boring quest) just to catch a Haunter that I'd never evolve.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
My history with Pokemon is weird since I loved it in grade 1 and dropped it until grade 7 so it's hard to say what my childhood favourite was as a childhood. However, when I was getting back into the series, I LOVED Houndoom and Mightyena because they are both Dark-type dogs and they looked awesome and I've used them both a lot in my XD run and I refused to separate them. Unfortunately to the fault of my own, I've lost both of them and I was sad and even though I have competitive versions of them now they will never replace the OGs.

I miss you Lupine and Poochy. </3

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Sneasel (which I ironically never got to use as a kid). I still love it, but not as much as my new favorites.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Back when I only knew Gen 1 as a small child from playing Pokémon Stadium, I was really attached to Persian, Aerodactyl and Eevee! Out of those, Eevee remains one of my all-time favourites. But these days I prefer Pokémon like Nidorina, Ponyta, Lapras, Scyther and Eevee's evolutions as my Kanto favourites.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 17, 2022
I grew up with Gen 1 and I pretty much loved all the Gen 1 Pokemon, these are just some of my favorite Pokemon when I was growing up.

Gengar, Jigglypuff, Kingler, Weezing, Pidgeot, and Pikachu.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Didn't have a strict favourite in childhood (outside of the obvious Pikachu); I only started picking favourites in adolescence. First it was the Sneasel line, then the Litwick line for quite a few years, then the Gastly line, and finally Mimikyu. I do expect Mimikyu to stick around for longer than the rest did though, simply because the little baby has no equal for me.

Back