• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Ethersworn: The Vale Institute

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Going to talk with Colony about it, but since things are getting pretty populated, we may only be accepting a few more signups before we start.

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
So... you just copied and pasted the character over (which wasn't actually accepted like you said it was), listed what you wanted him to be able to do in For All Have Sinned as his spells, with no regard to making it fit within the context of a world completely different people built.

I have to admit, that really hurts. That is extremely disrespectful to Colony, myself, and Retro Bug, and our efforts to make unique worlds and experiences.

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
I'll admit I didn't look hard enough about its acceptance, but both Colony and I have decided, and the fact remains: We will not be accepting Axel into Vale, under any circumstances.

What you did was an insult to not only the GMs, but to every player who put significantly more time and work into their characters to get accepted.

If you don't intend to create a new character entirely, I have to ask that you not come back to this thread.

Last edited:
Years
Thanks for telling that ^^ I'm new to RP, I asked GP that if I can use same character in another RP. He said yes with some change. I think i don't know what these changes were. I just rushed into things. That is mistake in my part. But I have no intention of insulting any GM or any player. You made it sound way too awesome though. I apologize to anyone who feel hurt by my use of previously created character in this RP. Enjoy this awesome RP and this RP's awesome GMs.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
hi birdy from the future, screw you for denying me

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
How much room is left?

Three slots, as of Michael's addition to the list of virgin sacrifices to the island gods.

If it's acceptable and you approve it for the slot I'd prefer to run with this one over the earth mage.

We don't have character limits; just people limits. Characters are much easier to manage and organize than the people playing them. So, if you're accepted once, you can just keep making characters to your personal limit.

That said, if you'd like to keep Jordan, maybe work a little more on the specifics of Hydra (like making multiple smaller dragons or one 20'+ dragon, and if they can eat material from the environment and spit it out as boulders, things like that).

"Quite lethal," as mentioned in Ouroboros, can mean a lot of different things depending on what you're fighting. Might be lethal to humans or maybe something close to human-size, but it probably wouldn't do too much against a fifty-foot centipede or something that has multiple layers of armor, right? That is, the objective lethality of this spell is an uncontrollable variable.

Earth's Embrace: good to go.

Whenever Colony gives the history a look-see, the only thing that should need work is the spells.

Concerning Isaac, I'll have to take a look at him when I don't have a bunch of kids in my house, because that is a ton of words to read through. Colony might be able to mention something before I get to it.

@DarkMoonPhase, I'll be taking care of your sheet instead of Colony. I'm not going to make excuses about any attitude I may appear to take in this response. So, please take any rudeness with a grain of salt, but you might want to bring a bucket instead of a shaker.

Spoiler:

We've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: you are absolutely, 100% completely free to ask us questions, get help, and get suggestions from other players. Or give up, if you're not a particularly stubborn person. We kind of like stubborn people.

@Foxrally, I'll be taking care of you personally.

Last edited:

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
I just hijacked your quote. Fight me.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Vance Fintan Adair
Seventeen; born November 25th

Weapon of Choice: A large, double ended flail with the rounded, spiked heads of a morning star. The flails can be separated, allowing him to dual wield them.
Element: Light Magic, previously Fire Magic.
Spells:
Fire
The general kinesis of the flame element. After losing the ability to wield it and eventually gaining Light magic, Vance continued training until he was able to regain some control over the element of Fire. He's not as capable with it as he once was, but he's still skilled with it.​

Appearance:
Vance is a hulking piece of muscle, towering above others at six feet four inches and weighing a staggering two hundred and forty pounds. His mixed Middle East and English descent give him a light tan skin tone, with dark brown hair covering his face, chest and limbs. His head is kept neatly shaven, and his stubble is always trimmed in an orderly manner. The veins on his muscles tend to bulge in a manner that can be discomforting to those not into that kind of thing, particularly on his upper arms, which are roughly the size of a smaller person's head. His facial features are sharp and well defined, with a squared jaw and slightly gaunt look that highlight the better aspects of his face. His eyes are a gleaming amber hue, speckled with small orange flecks within the iris, and his thin lips are a muted pink. His nose is on the large side, with a bridge that curves inward, and his ears are somewhat small and rounded with a detached lobe. They're pierced, with his favorite earrings being a pair of iridescent studs.

As for clothing, he tends to wear a variety of tee shirts and tank tops along with cargo pants or shorts, of varying colors. For colder weather, he has a black jacket lined with light grey fur. He favors converse for shoes, and has a pair in practically every color, and usually wears black combat boots when hiking or fighting. He's always wearing a colorful metal necklace in the shape of half a heart. The matching necklace belonged to his mother, and he now keeps it with him since her passing. He also has an outfit made of fishnets for some "casual fun." Beyond that, he's not particularly concerned with fashion.​
Personality:
Vance is a man of few words. He's not shy by any means, but he prefers to listen first and speak last, if at all. In most situations, he communicates through action rather than speech, but his words are kind when he does use them, except, of course, when he's irritated with someone. He's not afraid to introduce himself to new people, and rarely foregoes his manners, always opening his mouth just enough to recite the niceties of polite society. He hates when people are rude in such a manner, forgetting courtesies like "excuse me" or "thank you," so he at least uses words over actions when such words are proper.

Being raised in a town surrounded by nature, he grew up adoring it in all of its forms. Animals, trees, flowers, and fruit never fail to catch his interest or love, and he's become somewhat infatuated with such things to an unreasonable extent. Ruining such majesty is a crime in his eyes, and so he hates cities and individuals who destroy nature, intentionally or not. He prefers calm, breezy days with a mild and serene sun to blazing hot rays, and he loves a calm winter evening in front of a warm fire. Other hobbies of his include climbing, hiking, martial arts, painting, cooking, and men. He really likes men. Or at least, how they look. Sometimes guys are stupid.

He's an empathetic man, always trying to understand others and see things from their point of view, but he's not always the best at it. When he does come to an understanding, though, he can usually dish out some pretty decent advice, and he's happy to help out with another's problem, so long as they haven't gotten on his bad side. A quick way to do that is to be needlessly loud, vulgar, rude, fake, or judgmental. And once you're on his bad side, he's not a kind man to encounter. He's also very protective, often overly so, and he can become rapidly angered when someone upsets his friends or family, and he acts recklessly when enraged, showing the more brutal side of him preferring actions to words. His physical capabilities and temperament can be a bad mix at times, but his intimidating appearance typically deters others before things escalate too much.

He's tactically intelligent, despite not always being academically so, and can exploit and control most any battlefield when he has a sufficient understanding of it. His recklessness and occasionally stubborn attitude can interfere with this, however, and have gotten him into a few bouts of trouble in the past. He also has a bit of a martyr complex, sometimes acting a little too altruistically in order to protect his comrades.

His fears are of the generic sort: death, ostracism and the like. It's not his own death he fears, though, but the death of those around him. It bothers him enough that he tries to avoid going to funerals if he can. Being a fire mage turned light mage, from a family of fire mages, he also has a slight fear of the cold. It's not something he's used to, being able to warm himself with his magic when necessary, and when he's subjected to the cold, both of the literal external sort and figurative internal turmoil, he's wont to freeze up.
History:
Vance was born and raised in a small, remote village of mages in the northeastern United States. It was at the center of a forest atop a mountain, and provided the perfect amount of secrecy from prying eyes, while still being close enough to mundane human civilization to appear "normal." The mages had a rather communal style of living, so Vance was raised both by his father and the other adults of the town, alongside the other children. His mother died from an illness when he was only a few years old, leaving behind only a few vague memories and a necklace that matched the one she'd crafted for him when he was born. He's kept it by him ever since. Her death proved a devastating experience for his young mind, and created his aversion to funerals and fear of death. The lack of a mother was also a trait he shared with his best friend, Alma, though she had an extra father to compensate, ever since her father remarried.

Due to the nature of his town, Vance was made aware of his magical capabilities at a very young age, and to him it was normal, not some object of fantasy that most people would see it as. With many of the families in his village tracing their lineage back to the first appearance of magic, including his father's family, he was never lacking for guidance or training. His mother had been a first generation water mage, while his father's side of the family was predominantly composed of fire mages. As such, he was naturally gifted with fire magic, and was taught to control it starting in his early childhood. Thanks to his upbringing, he's had much more specialized training in both magic and combat than most other mages his age, giving him a general upper hand over his peers outside of his village.

His town was always incredibly close knit, with everyone knowing each other and having pleasant relationships with one another. They'd always been the type to teach quality over quantity in all aspects of life, striving for perfection, whilst reminding him that perfection was a respectable goal, but unattainable. Still, just because something is unattainable doesn't mean one shouldn't try to get as close to it as possible. They also taught the importance of the natural world, and what harmony with it was capable of, helping to foster his love for the outdoors and the creatures and life that flourished within it.

One of the more major events of his life was a short lived escapade with his friend Alma, who had wanted to try and find something, anything out about her mother. She didn't even know whether her mother was dead or alive, and she wanted answers. The event resulted in Alma receiving a large, three clawed scar across her face, and no answers. Out of both respect and concern for her, he doesn't tend to speak about it much beyond that.

It wasn't long after that incident that Vance's magic evolved. At one point he stopped being able to conjure flames as easily as before. And when he did, he realized that the fire wasn't quite . . . proper. That's when he realized something was amiss. At first his flames dimmed, and then they disappeared altogether. For multiple months, he was unable to cast any magic at all, which terrified him. The elders told him not to worry, that it would sort itself out on its own. He didn't know what they meant, or if they just didn't have an answer and were just feeding him a line, but he soon realized exactly why things had gone amiss. Amiss in the best of ways, perhaps. After months of nothingness, he regained the ability to conjure flames, much to his surprise and delight. He'd practiced every day during that drought of magic, hoping it would go back to normal.

While he did regain his magic, it wasn't quite what one would call normal. His new "flames" were a pale imitation of what they once were, being nothing more than a mockery of light particles that lacked the intensity of heat or power his old flames possessed, but they were intriguing nonetheless. He went to the elders in his village with his new abilities, and while they were not able to personally teach him about his powers, they had heard of such a thing. He had become a light mage, opening up a whole new avenue of magic for him to explore. He trained with his new magic, while also trying to regain some control over his old fire magic. He succeeded to some extent in both regards.

Perhaps it was his new abilities, or the fact that he came from such a unique background, but it was only two short years after the incident with Alma that he received an invitation to the Vale Institute of Magic. It wasn't an uncommon occurrence in his town, and Alma had received an invitation as well, so the two happily accepted their invitations and took their first steps towards a new point in their lives.​
Other: He's so gay.

Last edited:

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
I'm sorry to tell you this, Foxrally, and it really was very close (Personally, I love how you managed to integrate his gaming habits into discovering a third-eye and extension of his magic in Daw'a), but there are still a couple of major issues in your sheet that we honestly would have really preferred you asking about for information and possibilities. (We can be very accommodating. I mean, look at Jack and Michael.)

Namely, the light mage and location. Mostly the light mage, but when it comes to location, that problem's a lot easier. "High Plains" doesn't mean "West Coast". That's the wrong side of the Rockies.

However, Nakuzami's SU, which was completed and edited around the same time, is one we consider to be acceptable. So, we're accepting it.

So, without further ado.

The Light Mage has been decided.

Please welcome to the stage:

The one.

The only.

VANCE "THE SEXBEAST" "MOLTRES" ADAIR

Last edited:

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
I done!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
I did the thing. be proud please

YSDiE0N.jpg

Nychta DeMuere // 16 // Male​

Weapon of Choice: Two crossbows, which he's more proficient with than he should be. He shoots all sorts of arrows made out of ice, and he usually controls them through the use of Carry.

Element: Water - Ice

Spells:

"The Jesus:" He didn't nickname this one, his cousin did. The Jesus is actually fairly simple-- it allows him to walk on water, and is a very passive spell. Nychta, out of embarrassment for the name he mentally uses for the spell, will more often refer to it as Waterwalk, which is probably more fitting.

Carry: Does exactly what it sounds like it does. Nychta moves water in such a way and keeping such a consistency that it will carry objects within the water, provided they're not so heavy that they'll fall straight out. Although at first a taxing skill which took a lot of concentration to keep, it's become almost subconscious and automatic, allowing him to quickly use it for long distances. He usually uses it to carry grenades or ice across areas and right into the unsuspecting faces of enemies, but the only reason it's so well trained is because he used it often at home.

Spear Circle: A circle of spears literally made of ice forms behind Nychta-- first as water, and then as ice, and attacks enemies from a long distance. It takes time to charge, but less effort than Glacier Hands since all he has to do is launch them; in theory, he could control them too, but it's straight up easier to launch them, he's never practiced and never does it. It'd likely require communication and/or awareness for him not to accidentally impale a teammate. Nychta is hard at work at finding a cooler name, on Oscar's insistence.

Glacier Hands: Floating hands made of ice about two or three times larger than Nychta's own hands. While strong, durable, and efficient, they're not very large and therefore not very useful in pummelling really big monsters-- unless you use a ton. Unfortunately, while you can use a ton of hands to get work done, it takes quite a bit of strain on Nychta to maintain ice for so long and for so many movements, so he doesn't tend to move when he uses them-- unless he's using only a few, in which case he'll use them to block attacks.

Fragmentary Ice: Ice grenades, one of Nychta's more used spells. The grenades don't explode in fire and cool stuff-- as Nychta would like-- but as ice shards, stabbing enemies in multiple places. Although he'd fly them around, he'd much rather use Carry, since it takes less effort to move ice than it does to move water. Oscar, after Nychta accidentally let one off during dinner, has since called them "Peas" and refers to the incident as the "Exploding Pea Incident."​

Appearance: A thin, wiry six foot boy who hasn't ever really done work hard enough to develop muscles besides those to run around and shoot stuff-- both of which have added color and tone to his face and body. Nychta's black hair is wavy, messy and falls over his forehead in small groups, but it's usually displaced by the headphones that he often wears; when it's not, though, it's still nearly just as messy as it is with them. Generally, Nychta doesn't care much about his appearance-- but with pale, unblemished skin and a slightly toned body, he's very aware that he was lucky, unlike his acne-ridden father as a kid. Unlike his father, he doesn't have circles under his eyes, and has a more innocent look.

He tends to wear plain, neutral shirts and blue jeans, but his wardrobe is equipped for formal and semi-formal and business casual and everything his father can think of. He'll also put on button down shirts-- not buttoned down, of course-- over his neutral shirts and blue jeans, and he wears either Vans or sneakers. He's usually seen drinking a soda.

Personality: After becoming a teenager, Nychta became very relaxed-- and although he keeps up with his studies and his work, he's never particularly stressed out about it.

Nychta enjoys the pursuit of knowledge. It's a known fact among his peers and everyone he knows-- and as such, they often ask him for backing on ideas and positions. Otherwise, though, in large social settings, Nychta doesn't present himself as a man who speaks often-- just someone who speaks a lot when he does. Usually, his position on things isn't very elaborate-- because he's never analyzed something enough or because he doesn't particularly care enough-- but he steadily gives information which he knows concerning the subject. In this way, Nychta is a bit of an enabler-- he gives information to those that need it, as opposed to using the information himself. Due to the way his father has raised him, however, he talks when he finds someone interesting-- and although his conversational skills aren't flawless, he often tries to find a reason to speak to someone new and widen his network of friends and people he knows.

To even those he speaks to, though, Nychta's mind can be a mystery. He sits at his laptop often-- working on his studies or looking up something he's read in a book-- and otherwise he's usually on his own, taking walks or reading a book. To those who do know him well, however, he talks a lot, although with a sense of sarcasm and wit in regular speech. He's very sympathetic, but since he grew up with the privilege of having a rich father and a rich cousin, he doesn't always find it easy to relate to the past experiences of others, creating a bit of a rift sometimes. Still, Nychta tries to be decent emotional support, and even brings himself to give hugs.

On the subject of emotions, while he was emotional while he was younger, he eventually lost a sense of defeat upon losing from gambling so much, and learned to detach from things that wouldn't mean much in life. In this sense, it disorients people when he's frustrated about something [usually from those he finds ignorant even in the face of facts he gives], and yet calms down fairly quickly. Due to Oscar's interference, he's still surprised when he learns he's not getting certain amenities he was used to ["cleaning his room" would be one of them, even if it's usually organized anyway]. The only thing Nychta's really invested in, it seems, is often close friends, and when he goes to Vale he'll have to make those first.

History: Nychta was born to a business mogul who worked in the weapons industry. His game was efficiency, and his name, unfortunately, was not Oscar DeMuere. His name was, in fact, Remington DeMuere, and he was hardly an interesting man; he founded a company about making guns, made guns, and then made lots of money selling those guns. Eventually, he branched out from guns to other weapons, bombs, and the like; but at this point he wasn't only selling to people, but to governments. He himself stayed out of the light, but Remington knew that he was ill liked and kept from having kids. Another thing he disliked was the weird stuff his cousins did. Unfortunately [for him], he couldn't get away from either.

When good ol' Remmy did have a son with a woman who had no interest in the man and would likely have been detrimental to the raising of his son, he implored that the woman leave and raised the young boy with his own professional team of staff. Therefore, Nychta's upbringing was highly privileged for about a year. When his son was carelessly left alone in a bath and in conditions where he surely should have drowned, Remington became suspicious. Very suspicious.

Remmy was not the kind of man to tempt fate, but he was the kind of man to fire staff after making the same mistake twice. When it did happen, he called his cousin; a cousin he disliked a bit and looked more like Nychta's father than he did. A young man who had recently made all of his profits by bookkeeping and gambling, rich either by luck, or by coy antics; and Remmy didn't hold Oscar to any sort of standards. Oscar, however, was ecstatic to hear that his cousin had developed signs of "unusual properties" and investigated as soon as possible, and was even happier when he learned that he'd picked up water magic. As soon as he learned, Oscar-- taking a break from the studies he funded with his gambling profits-- became Nychta's more or less primary caretaker, to Remington's annoyance. It was unfortunate, in his eyes, that there was no one else for the job.

As Nychta grew, he grew up with a father who was constantly busy and stern, and a cousin who was calm and shared many of his qualities. Oscar-- taking up residence only apartments away from the high-rise Nychta lived in-- rose Nychta, drove him to his private school, was his personal bodyguard [by insistence, and contract], and tutored him. In a sense, he was another father, although he didn't sit around the dinner table and didn't tuck him in at night and was not hardly as good as cooking as Remmy was. [Around this time, Nychta would make off-color comments about almost having two dads. Some people, were, inevitably, displeased.] Nychta himself, however, grew up without many problems with this, although as the years passed and Nychta slowly showed more signs of magic usage, both his father [reluctantly] and Oscar [excitedly] accepted his fate.

Nychta spent these years as a bit of an excitable boy who spent time reading books and running around the house obsessing over airplanes-- which he'd been on often and found cool. He didn't spend as much time with friends as his peers did, and was usually an outlier in groups, which slowly began to alienate him the farther he went to school. Oscar began to mold Nychta-- unintentionally-- and soon Nychta took some stock in his studies, although not as dedicated; Nychta also lacked direction in his interests, and even though he liked reading, he was even more interested in researching between distinct subjects rather than singular topics. Early report cards show a strong strength in statistics, and he was known for being logical and intelligent within his group of peers. Remmy, was of course, pleased, and even let Oscar take Nychta places indiscriminately-- but, of course, Oscar would never let him know that he took Nychta to the racetrack.

At the age of nine, Oscar began to teach him to use magic, which was extremely hard at the beginning because Oscar had to put in some effort to relearn the art himself. After Nychta developed it, however, training became easygoing; at age 12, he'd already begun to use Carry more often. At this point, his father had accepted magic as regular and him and Nychta would go out to lakes and fish-- where Remmy would remind him that he was to be the heir to a company which made a lot of dough. Nychta also began to focus on his studies-- and as a result neglected magic. Oscar had already charted Nychta's future and had him learning spells alongside his studies, but as we get closer and closer to the present, the time spent practicing dwindles down to nil.

Nychta had evolved to the social scene. He was well-rounded, and although still a bit reclusive enjoyed being among small groups of friends more than anything. Not only that, but Oscar made a point of getting the word out to some friends-in-the-know that the kid was proficient in magic [...not that it mattered]. As Oscar received his doctorate, Nychta received a letter. A letter to the Vale Institute of Magic-- or, as it claimed, "Higher Learning." He almost immediately decided to go-- and neither Remmy or Oscar was particularly annoyed about it.

Other:
  • He has experience with bookkeeping due to being around Oscar a lot, and will likely establish a small betting system on how well a team performs, and in some cases, whether or not they return alive.
  • He will go by "Nick," but doesn't make an effort to be called such, and prefers his first or last name. Lived in New York.
  • This doesn't really fit much elsewhere in history, but over the years Remmy put some interest in having the kid protect himself and, at Oscar's insistence, Nychta learned to use a crossbow.
  • Remmy, against popular belief, was actually quite kind to his son, and although they only really bonded in Nychta's later years, none of them hold any contempt towards each other.
  • Also, Nychta, over time, has become aware of just what he's doing at Vale, but both Oscar and Remmy think he's pretty much ready to take on monsters. ...Well, Remmy doesn't really know much about it, but he probably won't need to. ...Right?
  • Nychta's conversation topics vary from "how'd you like the weather recently," to a cool thing he's recently learned about, to "I think you're cool, wanna take a walk?" The last one is usually so odd that he ends up walking with the person in question somehow.
  • His favorite drink is orange soda or coffee, and he tends to eat anything. He's a really good cook.
  • He is that heterosexual thang.

Last edited:
Back