• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Questions Thread! [OLD]

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
Is it legal to choose to not retrieve energy while using a superior energy retrieval? Even if you have energy in your discard?

Years
displayimage.php

As far as I understand it, the way it's worded, you cannot intentionally choose not to pull them, based simply on the card wording.

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
The only thing i see is that you can grab the ones you discard. I hate how vague the card description is. I guess i'll ask the league director or w/e where i go.

Years
Well, it doesn't say "may", does it? The word "may" is an indicator of some action being optional. There's also a lack of "up to", which is necessary in cards that pull from the discard pile since the contents of your discard pile are considered known.

Years
Hey guys, now for the ones who don't know I want one of each picture pokemon ( card set codes etc dont bother me) and I as looking through my gen 1 folder and I noticed I had a 1st edition Machop common non shiny etc and a normal exactly same card code and picture. I have noticed this with a few ie eevee and exeggcute are a few other examples. So my question is, is it worth keeping them in my gen 1 folder to make my collection look a bit better kinda thing? Or would they be worth more in trade? Or would no one actually care?

Thanks. Hope someone understands my confusing question :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'm about to start looking into playing the Pokémon TGC but I've got a question first - I was looking into ban lists and saw this;

There aren't banned cards. You can use any officially released card.

However, there have been a multitude of sets released, and usually only the most recent cycle or two are tournament-legal. If you're just going to play with friends, get whatever you want, but try to get them from the same 2 or 3 sets that were released in a row; if you want to play in tournaments, you probably want to start getting the Legend series as soon as it comes out.
So two questions - does the TGC have an official ban list and as regards only using the 2 or 3 most recent sets, does that mean buying cards from earlier sets is pointless or are they still usable against newer cards?

Thanks!

Years
As per the discussion linked to below, only cards from the Next Destinies set or later (or cards that have been reprinted in a set that is either Next Destinies or a set released after Next Destinies) are allowed to be used in Play!Pokemon's official tournament play for the 2013-2014 season.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=306528

As for casual play, you can play with whichever cards you want!

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
Years
Would you guys suggest opening up packs on PTCGO or using them as trade resources? I've got about 25 packs at the moment, 15 of which are plasma blast. I'm trying to make a usable deck, but don't know if I should open up the packs or trade them for some good cards. I'm not sure what deck I'm making in particular yet, so if that's a big deal as well let me know. Thanks!

Years
Well, whether to open them or not depends on what you want to build for a deck, since you probably won't be able to get an entire deck from the Plasma Blast boosters you have.

Did you have any particular Pokemon in mind that you wanted to use?

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
Years
Well, whether to open them or not depends on what you want to build for a deck, since you probably won't be able to get an entire deck from the Plasma Blast boosters you have.

Did you have any particular Pokemon in mind that you wanted to use?

I was going for a Darkrai/Hydreigon deck (or Darkrai/Garbador, I just have more of the Hydreigon cards already) and I still needed some Sableye, an Absol, and a few trainers like Dark Patches and Skylas. I can get Darkrai's from the tins (I already have two) because then I can use them at real tournaments as well.

Oh, and of course I'll need a Virizion EX and Computer search, but if I can't get those I'm not too worried as this is more just so that I have something actually playable for expert mode on PTCGO and a Darkrai deck is the closest thing I have to being finished.

Years
Then you'll probably want to use the booster codes as trade fodder. I am unfamiliar with the going rates for most cards in the TCG Online (I've yet to dive in), but you might need more boosters to get more of the cards you need, since last I checked (and this was before Plasma Storm had even been released) 1 booster in the TCGO was worth roughly what it would cost to get a single booster offline, so you could get a card valued at $4 offline for a single booster. Not sure if that still holds true or not, though.

Years
  • Age 61
  • Seen Sep 10, 2013
As ridiculous as this sounds, and forgive me if it's the wrong topic, but my son wants a fake Bayleef card. It has a ridiculous HP and he knows it's fake, but he just wants it. My question is, where can I find such cards? I typed in fake Pokemon at ebay and only a handful came up. I've seen some other high HP cards at ebay (the high HP is a tell-tale sign that they're fake) but those people don't use the word "fake" anywhere. He has no idea how to play the game of Pokemon, he just likes the cards do I don't mind buying fake ones. I know they're out there, I just don't know where to get them.

Years
As ridiculous as this sounds, and forgive me if it's the wrong topic, but my son wants a fake Bayleef card. It has a ridiculous HP and he knows it's fake, but he just wants it. My question is, where can I find such cards? I typed in fake Pokemon at ebay and only a handful came up. I've seen some other high HP cards at ebay (the high HP is a tell-tale sign that they're fake) but those people don't use the word "fake" anywhere. He has no idea how to play the game of Pokemon, he just likes the cards do I don't mind buying fake ones. I know they're out there, I just don't know where to get them.

I've gone ahead and moved your post to the appropriate thread (Quick Questions Thread), and I'm not exactly sure where to buy reliably fake cards online.

I do know that you could ask someone who makes fakes for artistic purposes if you can print off a single copy of their card, though. There are quite a number of amazingly done artistic fakes in existence at sites like DeviantArt. Some of them look so real that you have to pay attention to all of the details of the card in order to determine if they're fake.

Years
hey. i wanted to know about this zoroark that has the move foul play.
Zoroark_carta.jpg
if it uses a move like reshirams blue flare (needs to discard 2 fire energies) and zorark has fire energies attached to it. does it discard its fire energies? also i wanted to know; if my pokemon is poisoned and has 10 hp left but has ability to heal 10 damage in between turns... which goes first the healing and then the poison or does it take damage from poison and faint before it can heal with its ability? i am very confused. :(

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
nasty plot zoroark has to discard the fire energy if it uses that attack.

Years
hey. i wanted to know about this zoroark that has the move foul play.
Zoroark_carta.jpg
if it uses a move like reshirams blue flare (needs to discard 2 fire energies) and zorark has fire energies attached to it. does it discard its fire energies? also i wanted to know; if my pokemon is poisoned and has 10 hp left but has ability to heal 10 damage in between turns... which goes first the healing and then the poison or does it take damage from poison and faint before it can heal with its ability? i am very confused. :(

According to PokePop over at PokeGym, there is technically an order to it, but the order doesn't matter, since the Pokemon's HP at the END of the between-turns phase is what matters, since that's the part of the between turns phase that the checks for KO'ed Pokemon happens.

Back