• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Captcha" Codes

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
What are your ideas/thoughts on captcha codes? Useful? Irritating? Discuss.

I think they are nice(less spam and all), but tend to be really annoying depending on how they are implemented. Some websites have them pop-up EVERYWHERE. My biggest grievance pertaining to them is when you type the code wrong, but it says it is wrong..

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
Years
I understand their purpose and totally endorse them being used responsibly, but I just really dislike the ones like... Oh let me draw this up.

captha.png

Only use the letters with the drawing of a cat underneath it. Do not use the letters with the very similar looking dog.

I wish I was making this up. I have gotten ones this bad. I had to sit there for 20 minutes trying to figure out which horrible black smudge was a cat and which was a dog.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
I understand the point of them, but I still hate them. There is no reason to make the letters and numbers all warped and crossed out, I really don't think there is some magic program that automatically reads them if the text is normal.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
Years
I understand the point of them, but I still hate them. There is no reason to make the letters and numbers all warped and crossed out, I really don't think there is some magic program that automatically reads them if the text is normal.

I agree. I highly doubt a program could scan an image with letters on it to type it out. Even if it could, just warp them a little bit; don't make them so people can't bypass it either.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Some are okay, I guess, but sometimes, they go a bit over the top. WTF is with Newgrounds CAPTCHAs? It took me literally 30 minutes trying to sign up. Blah.

Zet

Years
I agree. I highly doubt a program could scan an image with letters on it to type it out. Even if it could, just warp them a little bit; don't make them so people can't bypass it either.

skipscreen's program can scan and type captcha codes automatically on megaupload but if they add it for like any site you visit with a captcha code, it would come in handy.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
They're a necessary evil, but there definitely needs to be some innovation done to make them more accessible to humans and less accessible to robots. I prefer the ones where you have to identify some sort of concept that only a human would recognize; however, the range of options must still be broad enough that it can't be brute forced.

If you want an example of Captchas done wrong, look at any site that SkipScreen can bypass them on. Those are far too easy for robots to crack; all they do is annoy people by making them wait. If it's not effective, there's no point. ReCaptcha is just a temporary fix for the word-based Captcha model; it's simply not a solution that will work for long.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
They're a necessary evil, but please... if you're going to implement them, make them so that a human can read them. They do little good if neither person nor machine can decipher what the code is supposed. And I've seen some horrible ones before.

Oh, and four or five characters is enough. Please don't make us enter 30 characters... that's just annoying.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
Years
i hate them but they do help keep away alot of the spam. i hate the ones that are really crazy that you can hardly tell what anything is.

Melody

Banned
Years
To be honest, I find CAPTCHAs to be annoying, but they are indeed necessary. I do really hate the pointless CAPTCHAs like the ones on MegaUpload.

Naturally, there ARE programs that can recognize text, so it MUST BE OBFUSCATED in a way that is INTENDED to CONFUSE ANY CHARACTER RECOGNITION PROGRAM IN EXISTENCE!!

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2010
What are your ideas/thoughts on captcha codes? Useful? Irritating? Discuss.

I think they are nice(less spam and all), but tend to be really annoying depending on how they are implemented. Some websites have them pop-up EVERYWHERE. My biggest grievance pertaining to them is when you type the code wrong, but it says it is wrong..
Captchas are sometime really irritating especially if you can't really read the letters in the image.
The basic use of captcha codes are to prevent SPAMS and computer generated registrations.

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2015
I thought they were really annoying at first.
But then I've got used to them and how to read them, yeah sure it might not pick the letters up at first but. You know, at least it gives you another chance.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 4, 2018
They are incredibly annoying based on my opinion & it seems everyone answer is the same. The other day I was trying to sign up on a forum I couldn't even read the dang captcha it was literally invisible ):

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
Years
They're a necessary evil, but there definitely needs to be some innovation done to make them more accessible to humans and less accessible to robots. I prefer the ones where you have to identify some sort of concept that only a human would recognize; however, the range of options must still be broad enough that it can't be brute forced.

i agree with this.

and sometimes i can read it, i type it in, and it's apparently wrong. so i get all annoyed and it takes me like 5 tries D: i just dont like the tricky ones :x

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I'm fine with it usually. It's not too hard to deal with most of the images and you can refresh for a new one if you can't read it. And ReCaptcha is easily the best one I've run into--it's easy to read and (apparently?) works.

But the goddamn cat and dog one makes me want to punch someone. I'm so glad I haven't seen it in ages. It was just awful. (I think Rapidshare used to use it. It made me buy a paid account with them for a month because it was so awful. Maybe that's the point?)

Back