• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Fan Club

xdom

Jaguar Skills
Years
Favorite Episode: Applebuck season
- Favorite Main Pony:Applejack!

- Favorite Side Pony:Discord(if you call him a pony)
- About Me: I watch Mlp by day and write fanfic for it by night I've been a brony since season 2 started (btw loved the finale awesome villian!)

Kota889

He who dwells in the Shadows
Years
a club for ponies ~yay~

- Favorite Episode:
Y U MAKE ME CHOOSE? Eh, it's a tie between Lesson Zero and Party of One. What, I like the crazy ponies.
- Favorite Main Pony:Twilight Sparkle
- Favorite Side Pony: Hmm....Luna. definitely Luna.
- About Me: Well, started watching ponies sometime last year been a fan ever since.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
Years
Ah, joining. But it will be quite difficult.

- Favorite Episode: I do not believe in playing favorites.
- Favorite Main Pony: I do not believe in playing favorites.
- Favorite Side Pony: I do not believe in playing favorites.
- About Me: Used to write Pokemon fanfiction. Started watching ponies instead.

I'm here with a question, which I am also asking elsewhere:

I've noticed that the "brony" population has a significant concentration Pokemon fans.

On Youtube many of the commentators on pony videos have obviously Pokemon-related usernames.

Pony avatars and themes appear all over PokeCommunity (this was probably the first place I ever saw it) and other Pokemon fansites.

Out of all the threads on the first page of this here "Other clubs" forum, the pony one has one of the most replies/views (2,445/73,085), trailing only Bleach at 3,385/80,552. But that is to be expected -- it's a year older than you.

So anyway, I really want to know:
Why My Little Pony and not something else?
Is it because of certain influential Pokemon site users?
Or is there something about MLPFIM that attracts the same people as Pokemon?

I can't really add you because you have no pony listed to be your usergroup. I know you may not like "playing favorites", but it's needed to make the club look much smoother. You're in the club, you're just not going to be on the first post until you choose a Mane 6 pony.

Favorite Episode: Applebuck season
- Favorite Main Pony:Applejack!

- Favorite Side Pony:Discord(if you call him a pony)
- About Me: I watch Mlp by day and write fanfic for it by night I've been a brony since season 2 started (btw loved the finale awesome villian!)

a club for ponies ~yay~

- Favorite Episode:
Y U MAKE ME CHOOSE? Eh, it's a tie between Lesson Zero and Party of One. What, I like the crazy ponies.
- Favorite Main Pony:Twilight Sparkle
- Favorite Side Pony: Hmm....Luna. definitely Luna.
- About Me: Well, started watching ponies sometime last year been a fan ever since.

You two are added, welcome to the club.

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
Sweet Candace said:
I can't really add you because you have no pony listed to be your usergroup. I know you may not like "playing favorites", but it's needed to make the club look much smoother. You're in the club, you're just not going to be on the first post until you choose a Mane 6 pony.

Well then, Random.org shall remove all bias!

List Randomizer

There were 6 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Pinkie Pie
Fluttershy
Rainbow Dash
Appejack
Twilight Sparkle
Rarity

Timestamp: 2012-05-06 18:03:36 UTC

Houndour2005 and U_Flame said:

Yes I realize the average is an arithmetic mean and not everyone will be close to the average.

But the point is, Pokemon exploded in popularity in 1998, and so there are "older" fans of Pokemon now. You don't have to be EXACTLY 8 years old to be in on the biggest thing of the decade.

But MLP was never that popular, especially among males. Now MLPFIM is popular, and there is major overlap with Pokemon fandom.

The thing is, I felt almost the same way watching MLP in 2012 as I did back in 1999 watching Pokemon. I suspect there is some kind of similarity, but what? The basic idea behind each franchise is very different.

So I repeat my questions:
Why My Little Pony and not something else?
Is it because of certain influential Pokemon site users?
Or is there something about MLPFIM that attracts the same people as Pokemon?

xdom

Jaguar Skills
Years
i'm 13 and i watch so do 2 of my friends who are the same age i don't know where this surey was done but it seems wrong?

Kota889

He who dwells in the Shadows
Years
Thanks Candace.

I'm eighteen and I watch it. Started to watch it when I was seventeen though.

Years
Recently turned 20 and am still younger than the average person that likes what is often called a childrens' show. If I was 5 or 8 now, I probably would have never watched this, because "Ponies? Ew." In hindsight, it's negatively amazing how close-minded children often are and easily get away with it for years.

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
xdom said:
i'm 13 and i watch so do 2 of my friends who are the same age i don't know where this surey was done but it seems wrong?

The Brony Study, first round was conducted in November 2011. The study recruited thousands of participants from several major brony sites.

The results page was down for a while but now it's back up!
http://www.bronystudy.com/id1.html

They are doing another round of study, I didn't look at the survey yet as it is very long.

mondays suck said:
If I was 5 or 8 now, I probably would have never watched this, because "Ponies? Ew." In hindsight, it's negatively amazing how close-minded children often are and easily get away with it for years.

I haven't seen any reliable data on this yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if more men watch this show than little girls.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
Dun, dun, dun!

I came to visit! Ha! Ha! Sorry for my absence, I've been so busy with life, trying to find work... dealing with life issues.

So, how are all you doing? Well, I take it?

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
According to a 2011 study on the subject, the average Brony is 21 years old.

So he would have been born in 1990, meaning he was 8 years old, the target audience of Pokemon when it became popular in 1998. Pokemon was the in thing 1998, all the "cool" guys played Pokemon cards. (This is the reason Pokemon has older fans.) But the previous generations of MLP had never reached that level.

Why would these same people get into MLP now?

That's semi-accurate seeing I just turned 20 today.

And I think the same people are just now getting into MLP because the appeal of FiM is different form the 90s MLP. Lauren Faust's goal was to challenge the show's "girly" appearance and she basically did well-developed character and a more adventurous and action-packed story. The pilot episodes are an example of that. If you told me at 8 years old that I would watch My Little Pony in 10 years, I'd laugh in your face. But if you told me I would still like Pokemon in 10 years, I'd probably believe you more. It's just the fact that MLP's demographic is young girls and Pokemon is generally a show for guys.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 30, 2016
- Favorite Episode: Dragonshy, Fluttershy is so cute in that one :o
- Favorite Main Pony: Fluttershy
- Favorite Side Pony: Derpy
- About Me: I used to play with ponies when I was little and watched the show.

Years
Dun, dun, dun!

I came to visit! Ha! Ha! Sorry for my absence, I've been so busy with life, trying to find work... dealing with life issues.

So, how are all you doing? Well, I take it?

eep, Yoshi! I haven't seen you around in forever! >: I thought you were pretty much gone for good at one point so I took you off my PC Family list in my signature. ;_; Sorry for the super slow reply; I've been forgetting to check the club.

I've been pretty good, my last final is tomorrow and then I'll be free from class for the summer. Feels strange with no MLP to watch every Saturday though, lol.

And welcome, new members! :3

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Wow... Took my a while to find this gemstone thread. I guess I'm no Rarity after all. :P

- Favorite Episode: Season 2 Episode 3. I lol'ed so hard at Twilight. xD
- Favorite Main Pony: Fluttershy... Dunno why, but I like her. o.O
- Favorite Side Pony: Big Mac. I love his 'Eeyup' and 'Nnope' :P
- About Me: My youngest brother was watching MLP and at first I find it childish, but after he noticed me, he asked me if I want to watch the first episode. Meh, what the hay, I have nothing to do anyway, so yeah. It may be childish, but I like the story and the approach. :) So, I BLAME my brother for making me a brony. xD

Years
I'm a little late but I want to respect the ponies too!

Favorite Episode: Don't know, haven't watched the series yet
Favorite Main Pony: Rarity (with Rainbow Dash a close second)
Favorite Side Pony: Derpy Hooves (She's funny!)
About Me: I had a My Little Pony toy a few years back and even though I've never watched the show, I have seen several scenes from it and I think the ponies are cute. DeviantArt got me into liking My Little Pony.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
Years
WATCH ITTTT. : DD
It's pretty good for what it is. xD;
Well, welcome to the club, Nichole! Enjoy your time here. : >
The club is pretty quiet as of late, especially since the second season just finished airing, but... still! xD;

Back