• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Red vs Blue

Which Pokemon game do you prefer?

• Red

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • Blue

Votes: 42 50.6%

• Total voters

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Note: this will become a PokéCommunity Daily article! Your responses - and poll vote - will help shape an upcoming article. Read more here!

Two things to do here. One is to vote for which game you prefer - Pokemon Blue, or Pokemon Red. you can vote based on nostalgia or solid reasoning or the box art... choose wisely. The poll is above.

The second is to explain your choice! Why do you think one is better than the other?

Granted, differences are pretty minor for the early games, but there's still a lot to discuss. Which has the better box art? What about the Pokemon choices - which has the superior set of Pokemon?
Red Only:
Ekans, Arbok, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Mankey, Primeape, Growlithe, Arcanine, Scyther, Electabuzz

Blue Only:
Sandshrew, Sandslash, Meowth, Persian, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Vulpix, Ninetales, Pinsir, Magmar
Or is it the rarity of Pokemon between versions? Caterpie for example is much easier to find in Blue than in Red, while the opposite holds for Weedle.

Or is it because of the Game Corner mechanics?

The more detail the better! Defend your choice like it's a Splatfest or something! =p

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Blue!

Charizard is too mainstream and even though I love all three Kanto starters, I like Blastoise (and the color blue) a bit more.

In terms of exclusive Pokémon both games are kind of tied for me, but Vulpix and Pinsir are among my favorite Pokémon.

Bay

Years
Even though I prefer Blastoise over Charizard, I prefer Red due to me preferring the Red exclusive Pokemon more than the Blue ones (Vileplume, Arcanine, Scyther and Electabuzz). I admit to liking Ninetales and Magmar, though.

colter519

Youngster
Years
Blue. It was my very first game. Plus I enjoyed being able to get Meowth and Ninetales. And I liked having the less commonly owned game. All my friends had red, so me having blue meant that I had all the version exclusives they needed XD

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I prefer Red. Red is my favourite colour, and Red has the threatening RU special attacker and Scrafty check, Vileplume, as a version exclusive.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
It's Red for me, the fact I could never own a Vulpix in my first pokemon game still haunts me but the rest of the exclusives are way better. :p

Years
Blue! I love soothing colors like those and Squirtle is superior to Charmander in every way (I'm sorry). The exclusives are good for each version but I'm happy having my cute fox and Meowth over the Red exclusives any day. :-3

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
Blue for sure! The Squirtle line is my favourite line in the games so having a powerful-looking Blastoise on the cover is definitely a big plus. My favourite colour as a kid was blue was well so I feel like I definitely connected with Pokemon Blue on a deeper level ;)

Looking at the version exclusives, I love Vileplume and Arbok (both Red exclusives) but also love Magmar and Victreebel (Blue exclusives) so although that wasn't a deciding factor when I was little, it's a win/win (or lose/lose I guess...) situation either way for me.

MrElephant

Pokemon Researcher
Years
Red is the cooler game because of nostalgia, but also because of Growlithe, Arcanine, and Scyther.

The only reason that it makes me sad is that magmar appears only is blue version, how weird that a fire pokemon appears only in pokemon blue....ironic.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Bumping for more attention! Article will be written up over the weekend to tie to the end of the Splatoon Splatfest, so more votes and posts will be appreciated!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I like Blue. It's such a great color, and makes a nice contrast in my red SP.

But I also like Blue because of the exclusive Pokemon. I picked Blue because of Meowth. I wanted a Meowth on my team. And having Sandshrew was a definite plus. Caterpie is my choice over Weedle, since Butterfree was always a better Pokemon in my opinion. It fits in better with my team and play style.

The Game Corner is much better in Blue. It's better to only have to get 6500 coins to get Porygon than it is to pay 9999 coins. And while Dratini is cheaper to get in Red, Porygon is a much better Pokemon (in my opinion).

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
Red is my favorite color and has Charizard on the box. There's not much more to it than that :P

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
It's hard.. I prefer the Pokemon in Blue but I always played Red.. more drawn to red.. But I prefer the Pokemon in Blue.. XD

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Blue For me.

Other than being the first Pokemon Game I ever played blue also had Blastoise on the box who I prefer to Charizard and had Vulpix as a Version Exclusive.

Back