• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team-Building Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLuxray

Serious Punch!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 5, 2017
@Platinum: Thanks! That link will be really helpful. Time to finalize my team, and get up an RMT!

Years
Build me squad

Hey.
I love to have matches ladder but i feel I'm out matched a lot the time. I would love one you team building beast to make me a squad(s) to use.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Singles or Doubles, and 3DS or Showdown?

Also, give us something to start with. No one's gonna give you an entire team from literally nothing.

Years
Singles or Doubles, and 3DS or Showdown?

Also, give us something to start with. No one's gonna give you an entire team from literally nothing.

^This

If you had a favorite 'mon or something that you wanted to try to build a team around that would be helpful. Even if it's not the most competitively viable I'll give it a shot.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 5, 2017
I'm trying to make a bulky offensive team that includes Alolan Persian (it's probably my favorite competitive pokemon with parting shot, lol)

Currently I've got Scarf Lele with psyshock moonblast hp fire and focus blast, sassy leftovers celesteela with flamethrower earthquake heavy slam and leech seed, marowak with flare blitz shadow bone will-o-wisp, timid darkium z alolan persian with toxic taunt foul play and parting shot, a calm leftovers mantine with toxic defog roost and scald and a naive life orb pheromosa with high jump kick u-turn ice beam and poison jab. I struggle a bit against rotom wash (though pheromosas high jump kick can take care of it) but otherwise I'm not certain if there's any other pokemon the team may struggle against. I have been looking for some form of improvement (it's def got some shortcomings such as no way ot deal with statuses, no grass moves for bulky water types and no stealth rock) and would really appreciate any sort of feedback!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm trying to make a bulky offensive team that includes Alolan Persian (it's probably my favorite competitive pokemon with parting shot, lol)

Currently I've got Scarf Lele with psyshock moonblast hp fire and focus blast, sassy leftovers celesteela with flamethrower earthquake heavy slam and leech seed, marowak with flare blitz shadow bone will-o-wisp, timid darkium z alolan persian with toxic taunt foul play and parting shot, a calm leftovers mantine with toxic defog roost and scald and a naive life orb pheromosa with high jump kick u-turn ice beam and poison jab. I struggle a bit against rotom wash (though pheromosas high jump kick can take care of it) but otherwise I'm not certain if there's any other pokemon the team may struggle against. I have been looking for some form of improvement (it's def got some shortcomings such as no way ot deal with statuses, no grass moves for bulky water types and no stealth rock) and would really appreciate any sort of feedback!

Give Marowak Stealth Rock. It can force switches pretty easily, given its huge power and nice coverage:
-Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
-Shadow Bone
-Bonemerang/Stealth Rock
-Will-o-Wisp/Stealth Rock
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod

If you really hate Wash Rotom that much, squeeze in Serperior or Tapu Bulu:

Serperior:
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power (Fire)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 56 HP/200 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Contrary

or
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Dragon Pulse/Glare
-Taunt/Substitute/Glare
EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Contrary

Tapu Bulu:
-Wood Hammer
-Horn Leech
-Superpower
-Stone Edge
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Band

or
-Swords Dance
-Wood Hammer/Horn Leech
-Superpower
-Stone Edge
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Fightinium Z

Consider Tapu Fini over Mantine, as the latter is a momentum drainer on an offensive team. It also has access to Taunt + Nature's Madness to break walls in half. You can also still use Mantine if you want, since Roost is the thing it has over Fini:
-Scald/Defog
-Moonblast
-Taunt
-Nature's Madness
Nature: Calm/Timid
EVs: 248 HP/192 Def/16 SDef/56 Spe (Calm) or 248 HP/48 Def/16 SAtk/196 Spe (Timid)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2017
Hello all,

I'm new to the competitive world and would like some ideas for my first team.

for now I aim to have something like:

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
-Fleur Cannon
-Flash Cannon
-Volt Switch
-Aura Sphere

Charizard @ Charizarite X
Adamant Nature

Not sure of moveset yet, but lets say these for now
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost?

Should I use more than one pivot?
I guess I need a stealth rock of some sort... any suggestion?

Either way, any suggestion that would combine well with those 2 is welcome.

Thank you

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Hello all,

I'm new to the competitive world and would like some ideas for my first team.

for now I aim to have something like:

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
-Fleur Cannon
-Flash Cannon
-Volt Switch
-Aura Sphere

Charizard @ Charizarite X
Adamant Nature

Not sure of moveset yet, but lets say these for now
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost?

Should I use more than one pivot?
I guess I need a stealth rock of some sort... any suggestion?

Either way, any suggestion that would combine well with those 2 is welcome.

Thank you
Landorus-T would probably be a good idea:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Relaxed Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Hidden Power Ice
-U-Turn

Both Zard (when mega evolved anyway) and Magearna are Ground weak, so having a Ground immunity is a must. It also provides you with a rocks setter, a Zard X check, and an additional 'mon to bring in the frailer ones on your team with a slow U-Turn. Hidden Power Ice lets you lure in and kill opposing Lando-Ts, Garchomps, and Gliscors, who tend to like to come in on defensive Lando to use it as an opportunity to set up. There's a few different usuable variations for this Lando set, so you can play around with it a bit.

You'll also want a Pokemon that can clear hazards away, since Charizard requires that, and Magearna doesn't like getting worn down by hazards either.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

Relaxed Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Hidden Power Ice
-U-Turn

Both Zard (when mega evolved anyway) and Magearna are Ground weak, so having a Ground immunity is a must. It also provides you with a rocks setter, a Zard X check, and an additional 'mon to bring in the frailer ones on your team with a slow U-Turn. Hidden Power Ice lets you lure in and kill opposing Lando-Ts, Garchomps, and Gliscors, who tend to like to come in on defensive Lando to use it as an opportunity to set up. There's a few different usuable variations for this Lando set, so you can play around with it a bit.

You'll also want a Pokemon that can clear hazards away, since Charizard requires that, and Magearna doesn't like getting worn down by hazards either.

To add to the hazard clearing role, Tapu Fini is one of the best Defoggers in OU. It covers for Magearna's Fire weakness, which is nice, while Charizard X handles its Electric and Grass weaknesses. It also checks opposing Charizard X, more specifically those lacking Thunder Punch:
-Moonblast
-Defog
-Taunt
-Nature's Madness
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/192 Def/16 SDef/56 Spe

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2017

Relaxed Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Hidden Power Ice
-U-Turn

I did think of lando-T but my only lando has a bad nature :(
Initial intention with
Charizard was to have a resistance to one of magearna weakness, maybe its not the right choice since he share the ground weakness? Either way I want to start my team with magearna, maybe charizard - Y would be better for ground immunity? Altought I'm not sure I want its drought ability since magearna has a weakness to fire?

Maybe charizard as a whole is not that good a combination with magearna?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I did think of lando-T but my only lando has a bad nature :(
Initial intention with
Charizard was to have a resistance to one of magearna weakness, maybe its not the right choice since he share the ground weakness? Either way I want to start my team with magearna, maybe charizard - Y would be better for ground immunity? Altought I'm not sure I want its drought ability since magearna has a weakness to fire?

Maybe charizard as a whole is not that good a combination with magearna?

Actually, Magearna is a good partner for both Charizard forms because it can bring Charizard in safely with a slow Volt Switch. That, and Charizard X covers for both of Magearna's weaknesses when Mega Evolved.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 21, 2017
Hello my friends.. I need a little help to make up my team.. I have 7 pokemons which are better than others I have.. I will write their names and moves and will expect you to decide which one should I have and moves.. Actually I'm confused between Snorlax, Arcanine and Dragonite .I have ;

Zapdos
-Thunderbolt
-Steel Wings
-Light Screen
-Drill Peck

Golem
-Tackle
-Rock Throw
-Earthquake
-Explosion

Starmie
-Psychic
-Minimize
-Recover
-hydro Pump

Gengar
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater
-Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball

Dragonite
-Thunder Wave
-Agility
-Outrage
-Fire Blast

Snorlax (Irritable nature Phy Def (-) )
-Double Edge
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Punch

Arcanine
-Fire Blast
-Solar Beam
-Extreme Speed
-Iron Tail

These are moves and the best pokemons I have. Snorlax is good and has moves I can hit almost every type. But it dies when gets Phy atck.
But Arcanine, I cant benefit well it. I dont know its stats are amazing..
And Dragonite.. I really want to use it..
I'm planning to add Ice Beam to Starmie.. But I dont know which should I replace. Minimize and Recover are good strategy but dont work every time. And I need Ice move to hit Dragonite foes.. I have Blizzard TM but its accuracy is low.
I'm waiting you guys, what should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
First off, what version are you playing? X/Y? OR/AS? Sun/Moon? You need natures, EVs, items, and abilities for each Pokemon, not just the moves.

Anyway, this rate below assumes OR/AS, as some of these Pokemon have the tutor moves there. While using Gen I Pokemon for the nostalgia is cool and all, you need to consider Pokemon from later generations too because some of them perform your current Pokemon's roles better, especially Golem and Snorlax.

While mixed Zapdos was a thing in previous generations, it's not now, since 90 Attack is rather weak for mixed attacking purposes, especially considering that Zapdos is a special attacker:
-Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
-Heat Wave/Toxic
-Defog/Hidden Power (Ice)
-Roost
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/172 Def/68 SAtk/16 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

Note: Defog is an HM move from Gen IV and it may be tedious getting HP Ice with the right nature, so running Heat Wave + Toxic is a viable option.

Golem's terrible defensive typing, which gives it common weaknesses to Fighting, Water, Grass, and Ground, holds it back from any form of potential it has. You need a Stealth Rock user on the team, as that hazard is important for getting in chip damage to achieve KOs easier. Better Stealth Rock users include Excadrill, Therian Landorus, and Garchomp. Excadrill's nice defensive typing and significant specially defensive investment give it plenty of opportunities to set up Stealth Rock. It can also use Rapid Spin to clear away entry hazards set to your side of the field. Therian Landorus has Intimidate, which makes dealing with physical attackers easier. Garchomp's high stats all-round let it perform offensive or defensive roles nicely.:

Excadrill
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Ability: Mold Breaker

Therian Landorus:
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-turn/Swords Dance
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/8 SDef/8 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

or
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Smack Down
-Swords Dance/U-turn/Knock Off
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Item: Earth Plate/Soft Sand

Garchomp:
-Stealth Rock
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Swords Dance
Nature: Naive/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash/Lum Berry

or
-Stealth Rock
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Toxic
EVs: 240 HP/176 Def/92 Spe
Item: Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin

Minimize and other evasion-boosting moves are frowned down on in competitive play because of how luck-based they are. Starmie can also act as the team's Rapid Spinner (offensively or defensively) to clear away entry hazards on your field, as mentioned above:
-Scald
-Psyshock/Reflect Type
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure

or
-Hydro Pump
-Psychic/Psyshock/Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Rapid Spin
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure/Analytic

The Hypnosis + Dream Eater combo is easily played around because a sleeping opponent will most likely switch out, making Dream Eater useless. More consistent Gengar sets use its wide offensive and supportive move pool to the fullest without the aforementioned combo:
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast
-Taunt/Substitute/Icy Wind/Destiny Bond
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Black Sludge/Life Orb/Focus Sash

or
-Hex
-Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb/Substitute
-Taunt
-Will-o-Wisp
EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Black Sludge

Dragonite must use the Multiscale ability, which halves damage done when it's at full health. This is why Rapid Spin/Defog support is necessary for it, as not only is Dragonite weak to Stealth Rock, it makes Multiscale useless As weird as this sounds, mono-attacking Dragonite with Fly is viable because of the setup opportunities granted by Multiscale and bulk investment. While Agility may seem tempting for the +2 boost, Dragon Dance is the better boosting move because it also increases Attack, making Dragonite more dangerous:
-Dragon Dance
-Fly
-Substitute
-Roost
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/116 Def/140 Spe
Ability: Multiscale

or
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Extreme Speed
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Item: Lum Berry

or
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch
-Extreme Speed
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Item: Choice Band

I don't think Snorlax and Arcanine are that good in competitive play. While Snorlax has immense bulk (especially on the special end), the power creep that came about in Gens IV and V made it difficult for it to take hits effectively. While Arcanine has a nice offensive and support move pool, Heatran has it beat on both fronts, as the former's bad defensive typing hinders it. You don't have a Mega Evolution at this point, so I'd recommend using Charizard in the last slot (both forms work):
-Dragon Dance/Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Dragon Claw
-Roost/Earthquake
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Item: Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze

or
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Solar Beam
-Focus Blast
-Roost
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Charizardite Y

or
-Flare Blitz
-Dragon Claw/Earthquake
-Will-o-Wisp
-Roost
EVs: 248 HP/100 Def/160 Spe
Item: Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 21, 2017
Wow I'm impressed with your reply.. Thank you for your consideration..
I'm playing different game.. But I think it has gen1 and 2. Also it is hard to find the moves you said. But thanks again, I will consider your suggestions...

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
thanks a lot!
But i am completely new to competitive battling and i have no idea what a team format is, but maybe this might help...
here is my team-
Greninja-
Hydro Pump, Dark Pulse, Scald, Extrasensory
Mega Salamence-
Return, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Brick Break

Greninja's EV's are set to max speed and Special Attack, And Salamneces to Speed and Attack. The problem is that my Greninja is a Battle Bond Greninja, hence it is not allowed in Rating battles, so now I have only one member. Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot in advance

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
thanks a lot!
But i am completely new to competitive battling and i have no idea what a team format is, but maybe this might help...
here is my team-
Greninja-
Hydro Pump, Dark Pulse, Scald, Extrasensory
Mega Salamence-
Return, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Brick Break

Greninja's EV's are set to max speed and Special Attack, And Salamneces to Speed and Attack. The problem is that my Greninja is a Battle Bond Greninja, hence it is not allowed in Rating battles, so now I have only one member. Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot in advance
Here are the list of team formats:
-Battle Spot: This is the format where random battles happen (you bring a full team of 6, but pick 3 Pokemon in singles, and 4 in doubles)
-VGC: all these are conducted in double battles using only Pokemon from the Alola Pokedex (with some exceptions)
-Smogon OU: This is the "main" tier that people battle in. Each Pokemon's viability in this tier based on usage stats. Other Smogon tiers are UU, RU, NU, PU, and Ubers. The former 4 tiers are where Pokemon that aren't as good in OU are used, though a few of these have OU use due to fulfilling niche roles. The latter tier is where Pokemon that are way too good for OU reside at; any Pokemon below it can be used here with varying degrees of success.

I'll assume that this is for Battle Spot, due to the presence of Mega Salamence, as its Mega Stone isn't legal in OU; Mega Salamence is just too good for OU:
-Dragon Dance
-Return/Double-Edge
-Earthquake
-Roost/Fire Blast
Nature: Jolly/Naive/Adamant/Naughty
Item: Salamencite

or
-Draco Meteor
-Double-Edge
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Earthquake/Hyper Voice/Substitute/Roost
Nature: Naive/Rash
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Salamencite

Ash-Greninja also should make use of Water Shuriken as a revenge killing tool:
-Hydro Pump
-Dark Pulse
-Water Shuriken
-U-turn
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
thank you so much! but here is a problem- ash greninja is not allowed in rating battles. Yes i am talking about the battle spot. So if i had to use something else, what would it be? i have marenie, i can catch mimkyu or something. i have all the UB's (i play sun), the tapu's, etc.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I want some suggestions for my team that I want to use in the April International challenge on the end of this month.
This is my team:

Metagross (shiny)
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Assault Vest
EV: 252 At, 36 Def and 220 HP
IV: 31/31/31/X/31/31
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash

Mimikyu
Ability: Disguise
Item: Life Orb
EV: 252 At, 252 Sp and 6 HP
IV: 31/31/31/31/31/31
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw

Garchomp
Ability: Rough Skin
Item: Groundium Z
EV: 252 At, 252 Sp and 6 HP
IV: 31/31/31/X/31/31
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Rock Slide

Porygon-Z
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Modest
Item: Choice Scarf
EV: 252 SpAt, 252 Speed and 6 HP
IV: 31/31/31/31/31/31
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Dark pulse

Tapu Fini
Ability: Misty Surge
Nature: Bold
Item: I have no idea, suggestions?
EV: 252 SpAt, 56 Def, 36 SpDef and 166 HP
IV: 31/31/31/31/31/x
- Dazzling Gleam
- Muddy water
- Ice beam
- Protect

Tapu Bulu (in training)
Ability: Grassy Surge
Nature: Brave
Item: No idea, suggestions?
EV: 252 At, the rest I don't know
IV: 31/31/31/31/31/x (it still needs hypertraining)
- Rock Slide
- Horn leech
- Super Power
- Protect

Well, this is my team, however I'm not sure if this is a good team Mimikyu, Metagross and Garchomp are a must on my team, but what about the rest of it?
So, I welcome any suggestions. I like to get farther this time. My record on doubles is horrible, if you compare it with singles, but battling doubles is more fun. So, can someone please help me with my team. Thanks in advantage for helping me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back