• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen 3rd Gen Pokemon of the Week #1: Torchic

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
250px-255Torchic.png

Torchic is a pure fire type Pokémon who is one of the main starter Pokémon you can get from Professor Birch! It evolves into Combusken starting at level 16, which evolves into Blaziken starting at level 36. It sort of resembles a small chick-like creature.

Moves via Level up:

--- Scratch
--- Growl
7 Focus Energy
10 Ember
16 Peck
19 Sand-Attack
25 Fire Spin
28 Quick Attack
34 Slash
37 Mirror Move
43 Flamethrower

So for some discussion questions: What do you think of Torchic? Did you enjoy it as a starter fire type pokemon? Did you enjoy it's evolution line? What do you think were the advantages and disadvantages of using a Torchic and it's evolution line in battle? As always, feel free to share any thoughts!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Its design makes it look so naive, like Togepi or Wooper level of innocence. Combusken looks so silly though. Blaziken is cool looking, but it's reached Charizard level of annoying popularity

I had no problem using Torchic, since it is one of the strongest starters. I own a plush of Torchic as well since the mid 2000's, back then I was more excited about new pokemon than now. Torchic is my favorite Hoenn starter now that I think about it

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
The design is so cute and I always enjoy the starter Pokemon. I'm not too fond of the Blaziken design and I feel it could have been designed differently. But other than that, it can learn alot of different types of moves which I like.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I admitted that Swampert was the most useful starter in Hoenn, but I often wanted to go with Blaziken anyways because it's so hella cool. The first fire/fighting starter, super cool appearance, and I really liked its middle form Combusken too. One of my favorite middle stage starter pokémon tbh. I was never super keen on Torchic though haha. It's just... so tiny and weak d: Charmander could squash it with a flick of a claw I feel like.

Years
I think its absolutely precious. Even though, I picked Treecko it was a very tough decision that took me more than 20 minutes to make because they were all so darn cute-- never mind Prof. Birch flailing around, running for his life in the background. Decisions like this can't be made in a rush! Go away prof!

Even though I picked the little gecko with the red tummy and boss attitude I still got to see my rival's torchic in all its marshmallow peep-like sweetness so that was nice. I like this Pokemon and think it evolves into a cool, memorable Pokemon. Now that it has speed boost and its mega Blaziken can conquer a word.

The Hoenn starters you really can't go wrong with, they are some of the best. The only starter Pokemon closer to my heart are the Kanto starters who originated it all.

I never warmed up to the Chimchar or any of its evolutions. We did a fire, fighting biped starter literally one generation before, and did it much better. I don't find that Abu the monkey looks as charming and natural as Torchic-- it tries too hard. Its final evo with the white jump suit stupid fire wig and arm bands doesn't even get close to Blaziken. After ripping off Torchic the anime even highjacked Charmander's plotline for good measure-- but I digress.

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
Years
I enjoyed using Torchic and subsequently evolving it to Blaziken. It was really useful in-game and the mix of fighting and fire type moves helped me to clear most of the games without any issues except for the water-type gym.

Like stars said, Swampert is most well-rounded starter for Hoenn but Blaziken is a close second for me!

Last edited:
Back