• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: JohtoMap - A Pokemon G/S Level Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
Well, it's been updated. If you want to be able to change the map's script location, I'd recommend you download it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I've always wanted to try my hand at gen 2 mapping. Thanks for the tool!

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2022
There are a few maps you have not yet added such as the prototype Safari Zone and Lake of Rage maps.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
There are a few maps you have not yet added such as the prototype Safari Zone and Lake of Rage maps.
Does it really matter ?
I mean, if you want to edit those, you at least need to create events for them - and that's about the same as creating the whole map from scratch.

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2022
No, it doesn't really matter but AM has complete listings of maps regardless of whether they are unused or not.

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014

Wrong. First off, the Safari Zone is there, in bank 3 (map 81). Second, I didn't "have not added yet" any maps; it's all automatic. Every map you see in the game is there. If you want to load a beta map, use the Load Map from Address feature.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
No, it doesn't really matter but AM has complete listings of maps regardless of whether they are unused or not.
The reason for that is because all the "beta" maps in the GBA games are complete enough for a map editor to include them by default. By contrast, the G/S beta maps consist only of block data, with no headers. This means that to display them, the editor would have to guess or hardcode:
  • the size of the map
  • the tileset for the map
  • events
  • scripts
  • location on the world map
and more. This data just doesn't exist for the beta maps (with the notable exception of the Safari Zone, which is why it does appear in most map editors). And because the maps don't have headers, you can't use them in your hack anyway.
Well, after reading feedback from more place than one, it looks like a lot of people who knew what they were doing were a little disappointed. I created this editor for two reasons:
1. I needed a project at the time, plus this was a big learning experience for me…
Cool. Now get back to work on your Zelda editor! :P

Do you have plans to release the source code?

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2014
Mine's not working :( I know this will be a great tool :'( mine just says microsoft NET framework i dunno how to fix it tho :(

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Here is a major bug you might want to fix - not sure if this happens for someone else :S

I don't know how this properly works but for example when I modify the events of Route 45, the route gets completely messed up.
No idea why it does that though...

EDIT:
Let's explain a little better :D
Even the change of Picture Number can affect the map in that way, and when done so, VBA gives you an error report of "wrong script pointer" ?
After that, the game freezes.

Also, it's not like I need the tool to change Picture Numbers of people but you should really fix it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Here is a major bug you might want to fix - not sure if this happens for someone esle :S

I don't know how this properly works but for example when I modify the events of Route 45, the route gets completely messed up.

Oh my gosh! Me too! It is really annoying. I've had to re-start a bunch.

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
Here is a major bug you might want to fix - not sure if this happens for someone else :S

EDIT:
Let's explain a little better :D
Even the change of Picture Number can affect the map in that way, and when done so, VBA gives you an error report of "wrong script pointer" ?
After that, the game freezes.

Also, it's not like I need the tool to change Picture Numbers of people but you should really fix it.

I'm not sure. It might be like another error where it's map-specific. Try resetting the map's script and seeing if anything changes.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
What does the bottom two abbreviations in the connections window stand for? I don't have enough courage ruining another hack, while trying to change the map connections...

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
What does the bottom two abbreviations in the connections window stand for? I don't have enough courage ruining another hack, while trying to change the map connections...
Just make a backup, try it out, and restore from backup if things don't work.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Just make a backup, try it out, and restore from backup if things don't work.

Yeah, that's what I usually do, but on more than one occasion I accidentally applied the changes to both hack and backup. Normally I can reverse these things by hand, but when I don't know exactly what I'm doing, I can't know what went wrong and therefore cannot fix it...

Edit: I tried it again and ended up with the same problem I had last time; As soon as I use the new connection, I end up being stuck between the two maps. Until I know what the bottom two boxes are for, I won't be able to tell what I did wrong...

Last edited:

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
The question mark on the top left is there for a reason. Click it and then click the labels or the box that goes with them. They're actually memory pointers, and I'm not 100% on what they do. They're the things that make connections hard. The only thing I remember about them is one is where the data starts for the other map and the other is where you should be able to stand to see the other map.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
The question mark on the top left is there for a reason. Click it and then click the labels or the box that goes with them. They're actually memory pointers, and I'm not 100% on what they do. They're the things that make connections hard. The only thing I remember about them is one is where the data starts for the other map and the other is where you should be able to stand to see the other map.

Sorry, I didn't see it. You must have made it to obvious... :P
I'll check into it immediately... Oh, and nice tool you've made. I was about to publish a long tutorial on how to create your own tileset, but this tool enables me to shorten it down drastically, and almost render it obsolete. I may publish the collision data type list, though I doubt it will be of much use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back