• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime Contract Challenge 3

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
Years
Started watching Joker Game. I am so addicted to the opening! The song is everything I love when it comes to swing/jazz. I will say one of the biggest strengths in the series is how well the spies blend in with the crowd so far. Sometimes I wouldn't realize who the spy was until the end of the episode. So far, so good.

Years
I've started into Selector Infected WIXOSS.

While it's mostly been fun, there's several things that have already bugged me 3 episodes in:

The anime has not explained how the game works. Like, at all. The only reason I have any idea is because I'm familiar with numerous CCGs and TCGs, so I can guess at the mechanics based on what little gameplay's been provided.

Spoiler: Selector Infected WIXOSS

Akira has been written as a non-sympathetic villain. It feels really lazy.

It feels like it's intentionally trying to be "grimdark" with those nightmare sequences and such.

The characters so far have also been very troperific. Hitoe plays the shy glasses girl trope straight, Akira plays the unlikeable entitled princess villain role very straight, and then clueless heroine Ruka also plays that role straight. Yuzuki has also pretty much played straight a role I've definitely seen numerous times before, but I can't quite pin down what it is.

I'll still be finishing the series.

Years
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is pretty good so far, although I felt it could have done without the double-length first episode. The voice acting and music are just superb.

Years
I finished out Disc 1 of WIXOSS yesterday. Which means I got through Episode 8.

Spoiler: Selector Infected WIXOSS (seriously spoilers in here this time)

The characters still haven't really gotten me attached to them and a lot of the card game stuff still seems like an ass-pull.

Akira is still never shown as sympathetic. Iona is clearly shown as predatory as well. Neither of them are sympathetic villains. I saw Akira's downfall coming from a mile away. Hitoe's downfall set it in stone that "lol, fuck making our villains even remotely sympathetic let's deliberately create some forced drama and trauma."

And then that "WHAT A TWEEST" type of twist where that's clearly Yuzuki appearing in the card at the end of Episode 8. Saw that coming from a mile away. I had my suspicions on that type of thing happening just given the tone of the anime, no serious foreshadowing required.

All the signs are there for a total train-wreck ending and I'm calling it now: Tama is this fucking destructive infected mutant that will cause some major calamity series-wise and somehow the power of friendship saves the day for some bullshit reason despite never being the solution at any other point in the series because "screw consistency, it's Deus Ex Machina time!"

That or literally every character suffers a serious tragedy by the end and we need a new set of characters for the next season. Either or.

It feels like a deliberate Madoka clone.

I feel like there's supposed to be a message here (that being that you need to make things happen under your own power rather than waiting for a miracle), but it seems like it's going to get totally diluted and set fire to by the end of this series.

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
Years
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is pretty good so far, although I felt it could have done without the double-length first episode. The voice acting and music are just superb.

And the voice acting only gets better. A lot of the voice actors in the show are veterans who studied Rakugo in real life. This is the best role I have ever heard for Akira Ishida. Also, the double length episode didn't bother me too much. Watching it felt like only fifteen minutes went by. I was that intrigued.

I finished Joker Game. Overall, I really liked it. My only issue was how it jumped all over the timeline. It was too serious for the jumping around. I feel like if it was more linear it would have worked better. It gets an 7.5/10 for me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Finished Minami-ke and it was a good old time. All of my previous comments still stand basically, and...well.

So I started Okawari right after, and what I wasn't expecting was that it'd be done by both a new studio and a new director. So all of that business about the show "settling into itself in later seasons" is right out the window, because holy hell does this feel like a different show (though that said, I believe Okaeri and Tadaima are buy the original directors- I haven't really looked into them yet).

Any of you watch Oregairu and then got whiplash once you started season 2, only to see that everything looks different and you can't even recognize some of the characters until their names are said? That's basically what Okawari felt like. And to some extent it takes this to some extremes. For instance, the Minami household is basically nothing like it was before, and a lot of the time it feels like the house's layout changes to suit the scene its in. The characters look less cute than they used to (I don't mean that they look worse, moreso that the aesthetic has moved closer to realism than anything else), and unnamed characters are filled in in black.

Other than that, there's the opening, which I somehow like more than the original's despite it being this eccentric anti-sitcom opening that doesn't fit with the show at all but, in a stranger sense, works with it really well. And I suppose I could go into a long post about what I think about it buuuuut since my contractual obligation ended with the original I'd rather not bore everyone here with my mad ramblings about the sequel. So I'll just condense it.

Okawari feels like if someone watched...let's say an Akiyuki Shinbo show or maybe Revolutionary Girl and said, "I want to make something like that." Then later went on to make The Devil is a Part-Timer and *shivers* Mirai Nikki. And that's exactly what happened. Well, the latter half happened, at least- but these odd perspective shots, the excessive use of darkness (and shading in general holy hell why is this show so dark), and an immense amount of butt definitely make it feel like the former. Which isn't really a bad thing so much but there is a definite disconnect from the former. Pretty much everything that the show either looks different or is straight up different (Haruka's school, I would assume for the sake of differentiation, is probably the most jarring thing to change in the show, to the point that I thought she might have started college in between the two series). And apart from that, the new designs can tend to emote...not so well. There are times when an emotion is meant to be displayed but it shows far better in the voice actor's performance than it does in the character's expressions or body language.

Also, they still do the hyper-realistic face gag but unlike in the original, they transition into it in real time. As in, Naru coming to terms with the falsehood of her mandom style. My problem with this is that it works less here than it did in Barakamon or the original Minami-ke because, apart from it now having a telegraph, it seems almost obligatory, as if it's something that the manga did (which I would assume it was) or potentially something that the original did to great reception that they had to replicate. Normally this would work fine but...like...there was this one scene where a character idly sat biting her nail, said gag happened thereafter, and then she changed back and said her piece. And the scene was about as funny as that previous statement reads. To this end, I think I actually have to repeat what I said about the original: this feels like a show that to settle into itself- less so the fact that it's an anime and moreso the fact that it has shoes to fill and, currently, its vision and the vision of the director don't seem to be fully in sync yet.

Aaaand that post turned out to be even longer than I wanted it to be and even less coherent than the last one. But to conclude, yeah, original Minami-ke was a good time, and Okawari's doing pretty fine, too. To the latter's credit, despite being less engaging from a character development standpoint so far, its general comedic timing and humor is better than the original's right from the get go, so despite the criticisms from my end I am actually enjoying it because there are clearly a lot of ideas floating around here that work thanks to some pretty eccentric execution. And the ending's hypnotic as hell and super mid-2000s.

Also Kana's my favorite.

I wanna be sorry.

But I can't.

I just.

Can't.

EDIT: Whelp I keep on truckin and Okawari's easily better than the original, at least from a comedy perspective. It settled into itself really quickly.

Last edited:
Years
Alrighty then. Finished Selector Infected WIXOSS. It was... an experience.

Spoiler: Selector Infected WIXOSS

Episode 9 thoughts: Okay, that specific twist was not what I expected... but it really doesn't surprise me. I may have watched too much anime to be not in the least bit surprised by the whole Selector becomes eternal girl and the LRIG gets the wish. I was more thinking that the new LRIG was more a clone of the Selector at the exact moment their wish is "granted", but apparently I was wrong on that. Hitoe still doesn't have her memories back, which is no surprise. She probably won't get them back ever. Lesson is clearly "Don't wait for miracles to happen, that leads to disaster. Make things happen instead."

Episode 10 thoughts: This snooping Ruko and Yuzuki are doing isn't serving anyone well. Also Hitoe's mom and Ruko's mom clearly have enough similarities to bring up some past trauma (?) of Ruko's. Part of me is suspecting this is a show Hanayo is putting on because she knows Yuzuki's watching. And it wasn't a show, but she was aware, though. Iona is still non-sympathetic.

Episode 11 thoughts:
Battle Royale??? Iona be cray cray.

What a tweest. This mysterious building has plot relevance.

And here's the purpose of Tama hinted at in the beginning. Like episode 2 or 3. ruko is going to end up as an LRIG.

And Hitoe throwing down the gauntlet seems very out of character.

Oh hello emotional development from Tama.

Somehow I don't think this is going​ to happen that way, Ruko.

Of course the celeb is the child of someone wealthy.

So now we have Ruko basically becoming HomuHomu now.

Nobody understands what you mean when you say you'll save everyone.

And Tama is starting to go rogue.

Oh hello that recollection is a bit unexpected.

And is Iona trying to end up in the LRIG dimension?

Episode 12 thoughts:

More doom and dreams being crushed right out of the gate.

And a new OP with a flashback montage for the finale. A bit uncommon in most anime I watch.

And here we have the tragedy of poor communication resulting in a bunch of friends suffering because they're trying to protect each other without communicating well.

Is this the start of the bullshit power of friendship ending? It definitely feels like it.

Oh hey the scene of the nightmare sequences​ finally surfaces for real.

We finally start seeing some of Tama's origin story.

Also this white lady is pissing me off.

Iona is clearly a sociopath with issues way beyond standard.

This is totally not a surprise that Iona gets her wish.

And then a teaser for the next season.

So, in summation everybody but Iona, her LRIG, and maybe Tama got a big dose of "LOL fuck you" from the Selector arrangement.

5/10, nearly dipping to a 4/10.

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
Years
Now you just need to watch the second season and the movie~

The second season is a bit better in terms of storytelling. It's still not fantastic, but it does explain a lot of things.

Years
Now you just need to watch the second season and the movie~

The second season is a bit better in terms of storytelling. It's still not fantastic, but it does explain a lot of things.

I haven't watched the sequel yet either, but isn't the movie just a recap of the first series?

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
Years
I haven't watched the sequel yet either, but isn't the movie just a recap of the first series?

I was under the impression the movie was about the events after season two. I haven't watched it yet (no way to legally that I know).

Years
I was under the impression the movie was about the events after season two. I haven't watched it yet (no way to legally that I know).

I haven't either! Just going by what I've heard :')

So in April is this gonna be happening again? I didn't notice that this was something going on. Sounds like a really fun idea.

Yes we're doing this again for April!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 29, 2020
I was given Charlotte, Watched it now

50px-House_Baratheon.svg.png

Years
Just finished Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu! It was an interesting experience for me because I've never seen anything quite like it. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, music and art. Overall though what was really astounding was the voice acting. Every single character was incredibly well acted. To the point that I could enjoy the rakugo performances incorporated as rakugo performances, not just as an aspect of the plot. I liked seeing some fairly complex characters with very real flaws too, that was nice.

For all my praise though, I have a complaint. Whilst the story was wonderful, there were issues with it's execution. First and foremost, forty eight minutes was too long for that first episode. I didn't need forty-eight minutes to be introduced to a character that appears in 2/13 episodes. I also didn't like that I was mislead into thinking I was going to be watching a story centered around Yotarou and Konatsu when in fact the story told was about Kikuhiku and Sengoku, with Yotarou only appearing again in the final episode after a great deal of time had passed. The second season won't even fill that in by the looks of things, instead picking up where the first left off. The way the story should have been arranged was a season that followed Yotarou and Konatsu followed by a prequel following Kikuhiku and Sengoku.

Also, whilst there were several brilliant episodes - especially 10, 11 and 12 - some of the episodes around the middle got to be quite tedious at points. So overall, this was a fantastic story with some real high points, but it wasn't always told as well as it could have been. That was something that no level of incredible voice acting could fix. Still this was an easy 7/10.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
I was given Cromartie High School. I admit that I haven't finished the series because of all my final year coursework being due.

I really enjoyed what I have seen so far. The typical comedy I would watch would have cute girls + one straight man MC but this anime only has real MEN. Delinquents trying to keep up their public image as a hardcore badass lol. Some episodes were funnier than others, but I was never bored while watching the show.

I'll keep watching this once I've regained freedom.

I'll keep watching this once I've regained my freedom.

doge

???
Years
so this is late but i figured i should at least post my thoughts on the show

I actually watched Girlish Number before the contract challenge but that was back when it was airing and I forgot about it after the first two episodes. All I really remembered from the show was my slight dislike of Chitose and after rewatching those episodes, that was reaffirmed. The show was a bit difficult for me to get into during the beginning because I wasn't very interested in what was going on, except for the moment where it seemed like Chitose was about to turn a new leaf, but once the show shifted into the second half, I was a lot more engaged. I really enjoy character struggles and the way they handled those in the second half really helped me push towards finishing the show. Also, the somewhat corny way Chitose has to get back to the studio at the end was no doubt something I had to cheer for. It's a pretty good show, in my opinion.

Back