• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2012 Survivor's Party @ Drakow's House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I'd rather vote my face on, if that's OK. Don't want to end up like this... [MASSIVE BREAKING BAD SPOILER INSIDE]
Spoiler:

Hahah! The true origin of Harvey Dent aka Two Face is revealed at last!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Guys no one's voted in my PG member of the year thread. This legit makes me sad.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I can't really vote if I don't have an inkling who to vote for. Heck, I don't feel like I'm qualified to vote in the sections I'm most active in (mostly because I just post and leave without reading others' posts), much less a Pokemon section, in which I'm running out of stuff to post about without sounding too redundant.

Years
I don't post if I don't really have anything good to stay about the topic or if I don't even know what it's about. I prefer posting in comfortable areas, like a lot of people would with some common sense.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I don't get the whole MOTY separate thingy.. but hey I guess they just wanna change it up this year or something because of the 10-years PC thing.

Speaking of that.. what happened to the emblems that were supposed to be given out then?

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
It's just for variation I guess and to give people more space or yeah idk, it sort of makes sense to me but it also discourages me to vote because you have to go to specific sections.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Yeah I guess so.. though some of it confuses me this year. Like favourite threads and stuff.. well if it's member of the year, people are gonna forget much much older threads that were made. Maybe fav thread-maker could be good too but.. dunno. I think it would've brought the community together more if we had the one big thread in announcements. I know I'm not gonna bother skipping around to different forums just to vote for people I see only in the forum I frequent. I don't think it's fair to the members who are hella awesome that post in some of the less busy sections like tabletop games or the anime sections.. or some of the super helpful members that may be in ROM hacking which is a section I've never ventured to.

Meh I know I'm just being a complainer here now, though. And things aren't gonna change, but it's just how I thought would've made it a nicer event. I feel like.. just because a member is super active just in one section shouldn't really make them the member of the year.

IMO, I think one of my MOTY votes shall go to Gavin. He's grown a lot this year. I always see him being helpful. We have our ups and downs and sometimes we don't talk for ages but every time I see him post, it's always very thoughtful and he is very patient. I have a couple others that I think would be good candidates for the MOTY. Unfortunately like I said, I don't go in every section so it's hard for me to say.. but we do have some brilliant people here so it's hard for me to just choose one. Nick's another great one. Bobandbill is very helpful too.

Many people are just gonna wind up voting based on friends though, instead of trying to be unbiased.. kinda makes me sad at that! So maybe doing it this new way will make it slightly more unbiased.. though I dunno where I would vote for these guys for, cause they also post in quite a few different sections and not just one.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Honestly, I generally dislike MotY in part because I tend to think it's a huge popularity contest and if it's very concentrated in one area it becomes even more so. I feel like (and iirc this was one of the main points for spreading the MotY out in the discussions leading up to it), since it's spread out in this way, people who are actually from the proper sections and so actually know what they're on about will vote in the section-specific ones so at least they'll be more representative of their own sections and less biased by people just voting for their friends. That's part of what last year's nominations aimed to achieve but it obviously fell flat on its face, haha. At least the way we're doing it here has hopefully alleviated some of that.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
@ Kura I agree with you but yeah can't be helped haha. Also mine went to Gav too!
They added a post though saying that people should really not just vote for their friends but for people who they thought actually deserved it, obviously not everyone is going to follow that but I'm sure some will.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Derp I just saw that there was a main one there too. Guess I can just post in that haha!

RL: You putting it that way can change some of my perspective, actually. But it also seems like an easy way to get nominees too. We'll just have to see yes? At least doing it this way does add some interest!!

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Oh no! People leaning towards their friends in MOTY! The people that they interact with most often, the people that they know the post history/personality more intimately of than a person they've never talked to!

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Hahah can't help but to agree with that. Still though it's not about people voting for their friends but rather that they vote for them for the sake of their friendship or just based on the fact that they're friends without any other reason. But still!

Years
But to be honest, I didn't vote for someone that I don't know well. Everyone I out down are people I have spoken to and generally get along with.

My MoTY is Mork, and he's a good friend, but that's not the full package. I think he deserves it.

I think the fact that people get annoyed because they're voting for their friends is wrong, because you're not exactly gonna go round voting for people you don't know/aren't friends with unless you think they really deserve it.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
But to be honest, I didn't vote for someone that I don't know well. Everyone I out down are people I have spoken to and generally get along with.

My MoTY is Mork, and he's a good friend, but that's not the full package. I think he deserves it.

I think the fact that people get annoyed because they're voting for their friends is wrong, because you're not exactly gonna go round voting for people you don't know/aren't friends with unless you think they really deserve it.

But it's fine to vote for your friends if you believe they deserve it. What they mean is that you shouldn't go "oh you're my friend lol I'll just vote for you cause I want you to get it!!" and not have any other reason. It's not like the only people you can vote for are non-friends.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
This is exactly my problem with it, though. If people are going to vote for their friends naturally then it follows that the person with the most friends wins. And that's a popularity contest.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
It doesn't necessarily have to go that way if people can stay unbiased. I have lots of friends here but I'd only vote for people who I think deserve it. I could vote for Red because he's my best friend but I won't. People will be biased towards their non-friends too, so in that sense it doesn't really make a difference. Though obviously in things like favourite gender-here it's obviously gonna be like you say but that's sort of inevitable. But probably that's just expecting too much of people so I suppose you're right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back