• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
It isn't that Gen 5 is a new Gen 1, it's that it was purposefully disconnected both geographically and with the lack of familiar Pokemon and characters from the previous generations to recreate the feelings that people who started with Gen 1 got when they first played it. Though this does not include B2/W2 for obvious reasons.

Years
I'm pretty confident there won't be any new types - we don't need them, they typing is fairly balanced as is, and all it would do is make the battle system even more complex than it already is.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I read the OP and my first thought was "If someone mentions a light type I swear to god..." and sure enough, it's in the first post.

I don't think it's going to happen.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I think it's exceedingly unlikely. They've spent far too long balancing things within the current types, and I just don't think it would be possible to add a new type without undermining all that past effort.

If they could pull it off, I don't have a problem with it, but I don't think, at this point, that there's any way they could pull it off.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The only possibilities for a new type are the aforementioned Digital type, Sound type, and Space type. A few selection of older gen Pokemon could easily fit these categories, but what would be their weaknesses? According to one of the false rumors, the Digital type will have no weakness nor advantage, but when paired with another type, it'll double its weakness (ex: Normal now has a 4x Fighting weakness).

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I'd still like to see a Light type, but it's gone too long without it's introduction. Many Pokémon that get stuffed into the Normal and Psychic typing really don't belong that way. Light would be perfect for that.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 19, 2016
Since all the other points against it have been brought up...

In almost 15 years, none of the fans have been able to come up with a new type that isn't dividing up the existing ones further or misunderstands the concept of a certain existing type.

I know there are talented people at Gamefreak, but fans can be pretty creative when they want to be, and none of 'em have come up with anything solid.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Oh gosh, no. I don't want a new type at all. :c
Especially not a "ight" type. wtf was the point of Dark type in the first place? We already have electric and fire, can't they be "light" enough? A Light type would just be ridiculous, imo.

Years
If they give us a new type I'd hope they'd have the decency or completely redoing the type system: all or mostly new types with new interactions among them to match. The type system we have is good. If you're going to fiddle with it, go all out.

Years
I've heard rumors about a Light type being released. If this is true, I think it's a bad idea to have any new types being released this late on, even though it would be quite exciting. I mean, surely this would have to mean that a bunch of new moves and Pokemon will be created, so we wouldn't be seeing as much of the current types being added to. The only type I would want them to majorly add to is Ghost since it is my favorite type and it contains the minority of Pokemon.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
I find it highly unlikely there will ever be a new type. Ever. They did a way with the ??? Type for goodness sake! It'd be interesting were the two legendaries to have an exclusive DNA Type, but I don't see that happening.

☆aqua☆

Ace Trainer!! :p
Years
(OOC): I don't think so. The only type that would really make sense is the Light type. Other than that, I can't really see any other types :/

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
Oh gosh, no. I don't want a new type at all. :c
Especially not a "ight" type. wtf was the point of Dark type in the first place? We already have electric and fire, can't they be "light" enough? A Light type would just be ridiculous, imo.

...Dark was bought in to balance to the system. It was mainly because not every evil/bad based pokemon could be based on ghosts. Which was a very good decision, and one of my favourite types IMO.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
Well since this generation obviously has something to do with chromosomes and DNA (look at the logo for X & Y) I think this is the most likely era/generation to introduce new types.

Guy

just a guy
Years
The possibility is always there, but like Scarf mentioned, if they're ever going to introduce a new type, they might as well go all out or just not bother at all.

In terms of the "Light" type, I thought that would have been a great new type somewhat years ago. The truth is, however, GameFreak has had more than enough opportunities ─ specifically, at the time they introduced the "Dark" type and again in Black and White with Zekrom and Reshirmam ─ but they've never bothered to do it.

Maybe X and Y is a hint to a new type like others have said, but I doubt it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2013
Just to clarify, the light type would be the polar opposite of the dark type. Dark type Pokemon are associated with darkness and evil so light type Pokemon would be associated with purity and holiness.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
No.

If they wanted a Light type, the previopus gen was 'the time' to do it with the legendarys of Reshiram and Zekrom possibly fitting it. But we didn't due to a number of things (a need to change game mechanics (e.g. Hidden Power which is based on the IV system)), and the bigger fact of the type system as is is already pretty balanced which is unlike the case in RBY. This is not a game that is going to parallel GSC in any way (if that was the case, then why did B2W2 exist when there was no such sequels in gen 1? Answer: they are separate games!). The only reason they made new types was to nerf Psychic types which were way unbalanced in 1st gen. Now there's no such need.

Then consider how they'd handle previous Pokemon that could qualify as a new type. Change the types and contradict canon set up for over a decade? It was okay with GSC as hardly anything got changed, but now with 649 Pokemon in five gens? That's too much, especially with the type system established for over a decade now as-is.

As such I really don't see this happening, but I did see this sort of discussion happening as it does every gen at least. =p Oh well.
Just to clarify, the light type would be the polar opposite of the dark type. Dark type Pokemon are associated with darkness and evil so light type Pokemon would be associated with purity and holiness.
Arguably the counterparts are Psychic and Fighting! Dark is more to do with underhand/dirty tactics in Pokemon (see moves like Faint Attack, Bite, Foul Play, etc) which can overcome Psychic types. Fighting can be thought of as 'pure' clean fighting, which can overcome said tactics. Or so that's one way to view it. Thing is there is no need for a 'counterpart' to the Dark type, as it already exists in a way.

And again, what happens with Pokemon like the Togepi line? You could call them Light type based on Pokedex entries, etc, but then what happens to Togekiss, the Normal/Flying type? Something's got to change there. Then apply that to a good fraction of the existing 649 Pokemon. Yeah...

Back