• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The one and only big fat thread about GUNS.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I have seen dozens of gun shows at the flea market I frequent and have never heard of an incident, and they've been doing it for years.

Accidents happen. For the most part, gun shows seem very safe.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
NM Teen Gunman Kills 5 Inside Home

Source
A teenage boy fatally shot two adults and three children inside an Albuquerque home, authorities said Sunday.
The boy was arrested and booked on murder and other charges in connection with the shootings Saturday night, Bernalillo County sheriff's spokesman Aaron Williamson said.
The victims' identities haven't been released, and the boy's motive and connection to the five victims weren't immediately unknown. Williamson said investigators were trying to determine if the victims were related.
Investigators also were seeking to determine who owned several guns that were found at the home, one of which was a semi-automatic military-style rifle.
Authorities weren't releasing the name or age of the teenager accused in the attack. He was booked on two counts of murder and three counts of child abuse resulting in death.

And another one. Not sure if it's needs it's own thread though. These are becoming far too frequent.

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
This is why new stations shouldn't put news stories like Sandy Hook Elementary on the news almost everyday. It gives kids like these ideas and I'm lucky I live in Australia we have stricter gun laws but in the United States of America it is so easy to own a gun and then this happens. Why would you need a gun anyway? If someone was trying to kill you, you'd go to the police. If you were hunting, you could spare the poor animal's life and go buy the same animal as food from a store or market. Unless an apocalyptic situation befalls humanity, there really isn't a reason for guns to even EXIST. What ever happened to "Make Love, Not War?"

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Why would you need a gun anyway? If someone was trying to kill you, you'd go to the police. If you were hunting, you could spare the poor animal's life and go buy the same animal as food from a store or market. Unless an apocalyptic situation befalls humanity, there really isn't a reason for guns to even EXIST. What ever happened to "Make Love, Not War?"

I think they'd be quite useful if your house is robbed while you're there. I know I'd feel more comfortable having one in my home.

That said, the gun laws in the US are insane. It needs regulation and it baffles me to see so many people so passionately against the idea. The fact that assigning armed security guards to schools is seen as a viable alternative to restricting gun access is hilarious to me as an outsider, but were I a citizen of the US I'd be horrified at the country's attitude.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I think they'd be quite useful if your house is robbed while you're there. I know I'd feel more comfortable having one in my home.

And as this case shows us, all 5 people survived because they had a gun in their house.

Right? No. They were all killed.

Just more proof that owning a gun doesn't make you safer.

They haven't said who owned what guns, and given that they found several at the house, the gun used to kill all of them could have easily belonged to one of the adults that was killed.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
So much to say but I'm scatterbrained this evening so here.

>There were a TON of gun shows yesterday to speak out against the president and 99.9999% of the patrons didn't make the news because they were safe, responsible adults and they don't deserve to be rewarded with publicity for having common sense.
>There's no arguing that these were accidents.
>Some dude in Indiana shot himself in the hand in the parking lot of a gun show.
>This dude walked around with an unloaded AR-15 to show that guns are as dangerous as the people who hold them.
>Comparing guns to cars is downright laughable because cars are heavily regulated and breaking any number of those regulations results in a penalty. If you wanna regulate guns like cars then hell, let's do that.

Moist

Years
Yes, the person trying to mug me is going to let me walk to the police station before before proceeding with his attack.

See, there's this thing called a "phone". What you do to use it is you pick up the handset and press the numbers "9-1-1" then the call button. Then you request the police and tell them what's happening and that you need help.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
And as this case shows us, all 5 people survived because they had a gun in their house.

Right? No. They were all killed.

Just more proof that owning a gun doesn't make you safer.

They haven't said who owned what guns, and given that they found several at the house, the gun used to kill all of them could have easily belonged to one of the adults that was killed.

Admittedly there are dangers to having guns in your house, but given random people coming into houses and using the residents' own guns to shoot them isn't super common, I'm not overly worried about it.

See, there's this thing called a "phone". What you do to use it is you pick up the handset and press the numbers "9-1-1" then the call button. Then you request the police and tell them what's happening and that you need help.

I think you're seriously overestimating how nicely the mugger is going to treat you. You think anyone would give you enough time to take out your phone, dial the number, tell the police you're being robbed AND where you are? I find that hard to imagine.

Moist

Years
I think you're seriously overestimating how nicely the mugger is going to treat you. You think anyone would give you enough time to take out your phone, dial the number, tell the police you're being robbed AND where you are? I find that hard to imagine.

I think you didn't understand what my first post was about.

Why would you need a gun anyway? If someone was trying to kill you, you'd go to the police.

Nothing to do with mugging at all. If someone was trying to kill you, there'd be a very high chance that you'd know it was happening. Then you would go up to the police and say "Hey, someone's trying to kill me, I need help" (Well, not exactly like that, but you get the point) and from my understanding (I don't actually live in the united states, so correct me if I am wrong) you would be placed into a Witness Protection Program sort of thing.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Oh yeah, I'm sure he'll let me do that, too. While he's mugging me.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Oh yeah, I'm sure he'll let me do that, too. While he's mugging me.

Their's also these things known as tasers and pepper spray.

These are defensive weapons. Weapons whose primary purpose is to defend.

Guns aren't defensive weapons. Their primary purpose is to kill. And killing isn't defensive, it's offensive.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Showing these kind of stuffs could provoke the mentally ill people desperately searching for attention *_*

Just like what Mark David Chapman did to John Lennon. Once he shot him, he just stood there and wait for the police to come. Any normal person would of fled the scene right away after commiting the murder.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
I think you didn't understand what my first post was about.

I don't believe I am misunderstanding you. I get your basic point, but you made it overly simplistic. You can't run to the police in every situation where someone is threatening you. Not that that means the only other option is to get a gun (as Mr. X pointed out), but I do believe there are situations where it's necessary to have some sort of weapon at your disposal.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I don't believe I am misunderstanding you. I get your basic point, but you made it overly simplistic. You can't run to the police in every situation where someone is threatening you. Not that that means the only other option is to get a gun (as Mr. X pointed out), but I do believe there are situations where it's necessary to have some sort of weapon at your disposal.

Thats the thing, everyone has a sort of weapon at their disposal - their fists and feet. The only thing is that no one wants to put the effort into learning how to properly use them, and would rather go for the easy solution like a gun.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
There are also these things known as tasers and pepper spray.

These are defensive weapons. Weapons whose primary purpose is to defend.

Guns aren't defensive weapons. Their primary purpose is to kill. And killing isn't defensive, it's offensive.
I was told recently that tasers and pepper spray are illegal in a lot of places that aren't the US, which I find absurd. However, it's also hard to get a taser in the US. I do support making non-lethal weapons easier to obtain, I agree they're often a better choice.

However, note that firing a taser, which causes muscle contractions, at a mugger (probably tense and with poor trigger discipline, meaning they'll be clutching the trigger instead of the trigger shield like they should be) is probably not the best idea. I'm not sure about pepper spray, but it could potentially have the same effect. The force of a shot from certain kinds of guns, if it hits the right spot, can easily knock a person over, though.

Sir Codin

This is probably the wrong thread to post this in but after reading both Mr. X and twocow's posts (the notion that killing can't be defensive and that tasers/pepper spray being illegal or hard to get a hold of), I question on whether I should even feel "safe" in our current world. Not because of increase in gun crime, but because there are so many laws being passed and people who spit in the face of self-defense that it seems virtually impossible to defend yourself, even in life or death situations, and not get slapped with the notion that you are the criminal, not the person who was threatening/attacking you.

Guns, tasers, knives, and pepper spray are all defensive weapons as far as I'm concerned and placing severe restrictions on any of them, no matter how lethal they are, make me feel unsafe. Killing in self-defense is defensive, even with guns, not the other way around. Of course, there are limits to self-defense; equal force must be met in equal measure. If someone is threatening you with a knive, a gun might be overkill, but if someone is threatening you with a gun and you have one of your own, what are you going to do...wait for him to fire first?

Last edited:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Yes, the person trying to mug me is going to let me walk to the police station before before proceeding with his attack.

There are ways to deal with being mugged that don't involve shooting. In fact, it would probably be fairly difficult to pull out a gun in that situation.

I'm not sure if it's laziness or people just underestimate self defense/martial arts. Using guns solely to protect yourself is a crutch, and a very risky one (mostly for other innocent people) at that.

Do you think a school shooter would be very successful if the classroom he entered had a teacher or student that could go all Sandy Cheeks kara-tay on his trifling butt the moment they walked in?

Disarm and overpower, not shoot down.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
You'd think the fact that America has had like 5 shootings lately would be an eye opener.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
There are ways to deal with being mugged that don't involve shooting. In fact, it would probably be fairly difficult to pull out a gun in that situation.

I'm not sure if it's laziness or people just underestimate self defense/martial arts. Using guns solely to protect yourself is a crutch, and a very risky one (mostly for other innocent people) at that.

Do you think a school shooter would be very successful if the classroom he entered had a teacher or student that could go all Sandy Cheeks kara-tay on his trifling butt the moment they walked in?

Disarm and overpower, not shoot down.

I agree with this post barring the bolded bit. Unless the teacher / student is standing right beside the door, I doubt they'd have enough time to run over to the shooter and disarm him before he fired. Unless he was exceptionally hesitant or got very close to his victims before firing, I don't think martial arts training is a viable solution to a gun shooting.

Back