• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New title

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
It seems that the longstanding term "Legendary Pokemon" has now been renamed to "Mythical Pokemon" for all Legendary Pokemon: Celebi, Arceus, and Victini are now all being called "Mythical Pokemon" on the official Pokemon websites.

So what do you guys think? It really does make sense because term legendary wasnt allways used for the Japanese pokemon

Adam.

Knowledge isn't everything.
Years
I prefer Mythical over Legendary. Then again, both words do have simmilar meaning so it doesn't really matter much.

Speed

Skyward
Years
I like legendary better. Probably because I'm used to it since it's been around since Pokemon first started.

The Red Chain

But for old times sake and me being too used to the term, I'm still gonna call them legendary Pokemon.
Mythical is okay and all but I don't really think it's all too appropriate for their level of majesty.

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
While in English, all are typically grouped under the banner of "legendary", there are three distinct terms in Japanese that are used to refer to them. One, 伝説のポケモン densetsu no Pokémon, literally "legendary Pokémon", refers to Pokémon such as Kyogre and Groudon, who are featured prominently in the legends of the Pokémon world. A second, 幻のポケモン maboroshi no Pokémon, literally "illusory Pokémon", refers to Pokémon seen so rarely, such as Mew, that some question their very existence. This term was translated in the Generation IV games as "mirage Pokémon", in reference to the various myths of Sinnoh, and many consider it to refer to Pokémon that are restricted to Nintendo events, not available during the course of normal gameplay. The third and newest term is 神話のポケモン shinwa no Pokémon, literally "mythical Pokémon", which refers to the Pokémon which are spoken of as the creators of the Sinnoh region.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I grew up referring those one-off Pokemon as "legendary Pokemon." I was very surprised at the change. I'll still call them "legendary Pokemon."

Years
  • Seen Mar 30, 2011
Mythical sounds better IMO considering they are mythical and in the game you're not sure if they actually exist. Legendary makes them sound like they're there only very elusive. So i welcome this very minor change even though everyone is used to Legendary Pokemon.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017
What is this!? Change to my nostalgia!? UNACCEPTABLE..... Well it had to change sometime, besides id still play it weither or not they changed the name, because considering that the games nowadays are just mashing on the "A" button, it doesn't make that much of a difference

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Legendary, as in a thing of legends.
Mythical, as in a thing of myths.
Neither suggests that any of them exist, but Mythical just makes them sound like rare pokemon in my opinion, though it still sounds okay.
I will likely still call them and will always call them legendary.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeaaah I'm still gunna call them all legendaries.

(Rename favourite legendary to favourite mythical Pokemon and legendary? loool)

Even so, Reshiram/Zekrom are still legendaries, so yay. :D; Mythical just seems wrong and... idk. @Whoever's chosen the name: Legendary > Mythical. D<

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I feel like they are trying to push us older gamers to the side lol, I'm sticking to LEGENDARY and I'll probably forget all about the attempted change...

Lol the funny thing is that they were never really changed as Legendary was mostly a fan used term for the powerful rare pokemon in the games...

Not true... there have been plenty of times where I've heard them refer to a Pokemon as "Legendary" in the anime.

Last edited:

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
Years
Don't the games talk of them like "Wanna hear a story?" or 'hear is a book about the myth of ' more often than stating them as legend?

Will Arcanine be the only Legendary Pokemon?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
"Mythicals" doesn't have as much of a ring as "legendaries." Plus it's not even a word. Does that make my opinion of the change obvious? Heh.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
I will always call them legendaries... It seems weird to change it now. Mythical makes a lot of sense, more sense actually but I have grown up with legendary so that is what I will call them.

Back