• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your top 5 programs

Years
Everyday, we use programs in our computer such as our internet browser, our IM client, etc. But how often do we use them? So here I'm asking you to list down atleast 5 programs you use the most in your computer. A similar thread was made on another forum which I'm an active member of and a few people became familiar with programs such as TuneUp Utilies which can speed up your computer's performance with the information provided by one of TuneUp's users.. I hope we all get to learn something new from this thread.

So I'll start off with mine:

1) Mozilla Firefox - I don't think I need to give an explanation for this. It's one of the fastest browsers available. I use this because I've got a slow computer and Google Chrome and other browsers freeze my PC often.

2) Notepad++ - I jot down a lot of stuff that happens in my life almost everyday. I also use it to note down important stuff such as email ids, phone numbers, events, etc.

3) Pokemon Online - I'm a Pokemon fan and as I've mentioned in my introductions thread, I go there to battle and talk to my friends all the time.

4) Skype - There's nothing much I can say about this, everyone uses Skype.

5) Minesweeper - I bought my laptop 7 years ago and it's still in good shape. So I'm not willing to buy another one. I can't play any other games on this computer other than Counter Striker as it has only got a RAM of 504 MB. So whenever my internet becomes slow either due to problems faced by my ISP or when I'm downloading stuff using bittorrent, I play Minesweeper.

quilzel

net start w3svc
Years
It depends a lot on where I'm at and on what device. I'll just list all of them.

1. Internet Explorer. The browser I absolutely have to use at work. SharePoint and Microsoft Dynamics require them, and all of the company's web sites have Active X controls. When I am at home on my Windows 8 laptop this is the browser of choice for a lot of reasons, first when using in Windows 8 mode it is freaky fast (way faster than chrome). Second, apparently Google Chrome has some Issues with Windows 8 and the cache. Until that is fixed I am happy using Internet Explorer 10.

2. Google Chrome. The browser of choice at work. When I am killing time at work or just doing what ever, I use chrome, its much faster than IE9. (Previously browser of choice)

3. Skype. It's my main method of contact with my friends. I use it on my laptop, phone, and tablet. (Android devices)

4. Microsoft Word (2010 and 2013). I have use this program so much in college. I tried using things like Google Docs, but the amount of things that I can do in Word to help me out during a project for school was just too much. I still have Office 2010 at home from when I was in college, I use it all the time to write my thoughts down or for a to do list. It loads much faster than Google Docs can load. For me, there is nothing better. I use Word 2013 at work. I use it as spell check and general note keeping. ( I know I should probably use One Note, but I'm stuck in my ways XD)

5. Outlook 2013 Work email, I'm constantly using this program.

EDIT:
Honorable Mention. Windows Media Player. I don't actively use the program all the time, but it is constantly running on my home computer, usually playing music. I can't live without my music.

Last edited:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
The programs I use the most, just about every day:

Google Chrome, its my internet browser, #1 program ever created - Its how I post here on PokemonCommunity

Windows Media Player, for music, along with my last.fm scrobbler.

KM Player, its my main program for watching downloaded videos, it plays every type of video formats

Skype, yes, I chat a lot with my friends and family, even if my younger brother is just downstairs from me, I prefer to chat on Skype than visit him, mainly at night when everyone is sleeping

Paint Shop Pro, my main program for me to practice drawings, and practice using layers and colors. Once I buy a scanner, I can upload my own art, and practice on it

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
My 5 top programs are:
1. Mozilla Firefox, my favorite Internet browser!
2. GOM Player, my usual Video Player.
3. VLC Media Player, alternative to GOM. Usually used to play DVD.
4. Winamp, my usual Music Player.
5. XMediaRecode, to convert my downloaded videos to format that suits my phone.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
1. Google Chrome - the internet broswer that I am using now.
2. VLC player - for music and videos, cos WMP couldn't work on my computer.
3. Paint.net - the image editting program I use occasionally for my sigs and avatars.
4. Notepad - the stock windows notepad which I use it for everything.
5. 3D Pinball for Windows – Space Cadet - My favourite windows game, nuff said.

Years
1. Google Chrome: Internet browsing and downloading files
2. Windows Live Mail: Checking all my email accounts (which I do frequently)
3. miRC: Yes, I chat on IRC channels a lot across multiple networks (including a network I co-operate)
4. Skype: I speak with my friends on Skype at least once a week and probably every other day most of the time.
5. iTunes: My music player. Also used to put music onto my iPod and it's where I download all of my music (since I don't have accounts yet at other music-purchasing sites)

Years
1. Firefox - For the last month at least, this has been my main internet browser.
2. Google Chrome - My backup browser, but still gets used more often than most programs on my computer
3. MS Paint - Usually used when saving pictures, to quickly convert them from .jpg to .png
4. Photoshop CS4 - Not for anything in particular anymore, just really like to play around with some of the features
5. Kega Fusion - A Sega Genesis/Mega Drive emulator, just slightly edges out VBA due to more use recently.

Honestly struggled a bit coming up with my list. My computer is over 10 years old now, so it really isn't that capable of running many programs, especially with the file sizes and memory capacity they take up compared to back then. Once I finally get a new computer, I would really only expect #1 (and maybe #4) to remain.

Years
1. FireFox - In my opinion the only web browser to be used with Google Chrome coming in at a close second. I use this for pretty much everything!
2. Skype - Pretty much always on it, always chatting with my friends.
3. League Of Legends - I play this game quite often, I play it with a group of friends and I enjoy it hugely!
4. Super Crate Box - A small indie game which is quite addicting and does get challenging. I play it while waiting for things to load mostly.
5. (This one is hard to choose) Either DayZ Commander or one of the many programming softwares I use - I play DayZ a load and find it very fun! However, I like to code/programme and I use several different softwares for writing the code, each one for a different language.

As you may have guessed, the 5th choice was a hard pick for me. The first 4 were relatively easy but choosing that final option was hard to do.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
1. Opera - I'be always used opera as my internet browser.
2. Microsoft visual studio - I started programming in C# a while ago.
3. Rpg maker xp - I love working with rmxp. Working on my pokemon fangame.
4. Ccleaner - I run this daily, great for getting rid of all junk.
5. Minecraft - fun and addicting, I don't play much other games on my pc.

I didn't put Skype and vba on the list because I always log onto Skype on my phone. Found a nice gba emulator for it as well.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
1. Firefox
2. Skype
3. Steam
4. Foobar2000
5. Eclipse

Not gonna bother explaining why; I think they speak for themselves.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
1. Mozilla Firefox: My preferred browser, it is almost always open on my laptop. I just love it.
2. mIRC: Another program that is almost always open, I am always hanging out in the PC chatrooms.
3. TorGuard: My trusty VPN service which I love <3
4. uTorrent: Why have a VPN if you aren't going to download anything?
5. Trillian: My messaging client, probably my least used of the bunch but I guess I turn it on whenever. xD

Years
Whilst I'm at university my programs are limited due to the horrid restricted internet connection, so I can't use most of my top 5 programs like uTorrent or Pidgin anymore.
Right now it stands at this:

1. Chrome/Chromium - It's my main web browser, depending on the operating sytem.
2. Microsoft Word - for the ridiculous amount of essays/reports/lesson plans I have to write :D
3. Forge - a MTG simulator kind of thing. I use this to test new decks I'm building at 3am when I can't sleep and nobody else is around.
4. Skype - Since Pidgin, or any other MSN client doesn't work on my universities internet connection I have to stick with skype for IMing.
5. Inkscape - Since my crappy netbook can't really handle Illustrator I use this for most of my graphic designing needs.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
1. Waterfox - A 64-bit version of my browser of choice, what can go wrong?

2. Steam - All of my games are here, and for the most part it is what I use to talk to friends.

3. Skype - Where I go for voice chatting and the like, this is what my D&D group also uses in addition to MapTools.

4. Media Player Classic - It's usually open either playing some music or an episode of HIMYM or somesuch.

5. Notepad - I use this thing all day, every day, whether I'm just wanting to remember something for later, or saving things for later. Good stuff.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
1. Mozilla Firefox - This browser has just been the best browser for me to use as well as my family. Tried the others but felt this one excelled by a good margin.

2. Skype - Whenever I want to talk with good friends of mine. I don't mind voice chatting either.

3. Paint XP version - Great for when I am ripping tiles because it gets the edges very accurately. I've always liked this version.

4. Camstudio - I use this when I'm recording something no bigger than 500x400 (just an estimate, but I know it can't record 640x480 perfectly)

5. Anvil Studio - Sometimes I like to give a try at porting some VG music by ear, even though I fail miserably with the notes. The drum track I can get correct, however...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
1) Google Chrome - my prefered browser
2) uTorrent - anime downloading
3) Microsoft Word - for school
4) Programming IDEs - for school
5) Skype - even though I don't use it really much... I guess I'm not using many programs... xD

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
In no particular order...
Firefox - Yeah I browse everything with Firefox. Fairly clear what the purpose of this is.
FirstClass - Email client. The only real email that I check on a regular basis other than, you know, Gmail.
Photoshop - So I actually use Photoshop a lot. For very simple things. It's really nice for whatever you need to do to images, and though I'm not a great graphics person even I can do things that aren't next-level complicated.
Microsoft Word - Creative writing, note-taking, et cetera. More ok with docx format now (I have 2010) than I was three years ago because there's much more support for the format.
Skype - IM client of choice.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
1. Google Chrome - My Top Browser
2. Microsoft Word - Very useful at school yeah copy+paste FTW! xD
3. Photoshop - Graphical Needs
4. Paint - Also used in my Graphical needs.
5. Dropbox - Useful when I need to backup and upload files. :)

And I guess MSN and VBA could be honarably mentioned... :)

SLITCX

Spontaneous Water Lover
Years
1. Google Chrome -- My main browser.
2. Media Player Class -- Used to watch anime.
3. Dropbox -- Transferring files between phone, tablet, and computers.
4. Skype -- Chatting with friends and groups.
5. Teamviewer -- Controlling computers from afar.

Yayy, I love computers. ._. They burn my time really fast.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Firefox
Nettalk IRC Client
uTorrent (100% legal uses, yessir)
MPC-HC (video player)
Steam

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
>Google Chrome
Great browser, but I don't mind Firefox either.

>Steam
I don't buy many games off of Steam, but that's okay because it lets you add non-Steam games to your library so everything is organized and easy to access.

>Paint
I use it a lot for spur-of-the-moment screenshot cropping and it works fine.

>CDisplay
This is actually a really cool program that lets you read comics/manga full-screen with a really easy scrolling/page-turning setup. It even opens zipped files so I don't need to unzip them first.

>uTorrent
I like DDLs but for larger files it's just easier to torrent it. Can't seed, though, or my internet provider sends me passive-aggressive emails.

Back