• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] The Pokemon Trainer Academy (OOC) (NEW!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Yellow & Wolf: Ruby has interacted with Kilik, so he'll meet up with you two later.

:P Wolf, you recall that Kilik only knows Kiyoko in his human form, right?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
I do seem to recall the anime stating that Meowth worked so hard to learn speech it's kind of... filled his brain to capacity, so he can't learn any pokemon moves beyond the ones he knew when he started. I think Fury Swipes is the only one - and even then it may not be a move. It may just be Meowth going crazy with his claws.

Does the same rule apply for humans who can understand pokemon? It seems like we have a few of those wandering around PTA, and to my knowledge N is supposed to be the only one with this ability.

I'm not singling anyone out, just learning! Cheers for all the responses guys.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
@SD - actually... i hoped Ruby and Hikari could come along ^^;;; is that a problem...?

@Lincoln- i guess you are talking about Ruby...? ^^;; i'm sorry if she bothers you, though, theres a reason behind this ability which i wont spoil just yet… dont worry… i wont overdo it with her, she wont be one of these "over-powered" characters ^^

Uhmm… i see alot of other people have problems with my characters…

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
I couldn't remember whose characters I'd seen with the ability, but sure, I guess Ruby was one of them. I in no way have a problem with anyone having this ability, all I'm trying to ascertain is how common/uncommon it is - primarily so I can have my characters react appropriately.

If this is something that, so far as we know, only N has done, then I know to have Nika/Lincoln react as if this is the case. If on the other hand it is very rare, but a few others have done it, then... well you get the idea.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
@lincoln- i get your idea, though i cant remember anyone but N with this ability before i joined… so i guess im the one who started this, so… sorry for that

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Yellow & Wolf: Ruby has interacted with Kilik, so he'll meet up with you two later.

:P Wolf, you recall that Kilik only knows Kiyoko in his human form, right?

@SD - actually... i hoped Ruby and Hikari could come along ^^;;; is that a problem...?

Good lord, PTA needs a "Kiyoko Fan Club". I had forgotten how much people had obsessed over him.

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
Years
I only got involved with that zoura way early in his appearance. Isaac helped resesitate him when he washed ashore.

Besides that haven;t been involved, so why do did you ask me Diamond?

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
@Pink: xD Did I forget to ask? Man, I wanted to ask if you wanted to come! Lol~

@Wolf: :P Bring back all the fans of Kiyoko! They must join us! xD

@jason: ^^;; Did I agree to meet up with you? Geez, I have to much to do for Kilik in one day, it seems. I'll have to plan this out, but Kilik &... O.o I forgot your character's name already! ^^;; Wow...hee hee... Anyway, they'll meet up later. Isaac, right?

SylveonStar

Sylveon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
Hey everyone I'll be gone tomorrow and Saturday :) Just wanted to let you all know :)

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@WolfOfEve: Luckily I was around to remind you, right?~

@PinkSapphire: This discussion arose because of an issue in a Sign-Up. Nobody even mentioned your characters. Also if I seem to recall, your character's pokemon don't use telepathy. Your character understands their Pokemon's natural speech instead, which is actually much different and not currently an issue. Also, I'm pretty sure Fuyu's character Skye has the bragging rights to being the first character with that power.

@Everyone: But yeah. I think I need to put a cap on "Non-psychic pokemon that can speak to humans" for the sake of suspension of disbelief and making sure the standards of character quality aren't undercut. I will not however be putting a cap on "Humans that can understand Pokemon.". So yeah. That means no new characters will be allowed to utilize that...power.

Quite simply the latter isn't done as much and doesn't result in Pokemon parading around acting like they're just like humans. (Because nobody else would understand them!)

Anyway...

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Now Valorie is going to have all that attention as well.

Also, I thought of something I'd like to make a point of.

Let's use the Anime's Meowth as an example.

There are real-life cases where some animals, if taught well enough, can in fact learn English. It's possible, but would take a lot of nonstop training and the Pokemon has to be very, very willing to learn.

Thoughts on this?

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
Years
animals seem to be able to learn our language, but re-iterating it is the hard half. its like a person learning how to do different voice. I for example can go from normal to Igor to a chipmunk without an issue, but I've been practicing to get a variety of voices. A pokemon that is used to having a specific voice and speaking one way for all its life would take a ton of time to learn english, and meowth did.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@WolfOfEve: Well I mean... the definition of a talking animal in real life is pretty shoddy. An animal is not required to understand the sounds they make or say something remotely intelligent for that matter. All they have to do is make sounds that sound like words. In practice, only the most extremely basic form of communication has been established. Things like single words.

The other issue here being that humans have very unique vocal cords. Any Pokemon without those is going to be physically unable to speak properly regardless of how well they train. (Once again. Meowth made reality his pet with sheer willpower. I don't even know.)

Sign language would be marginally more reasonable, but that raises an entirely different issue in that most people won't understand sign-language! (There's also plenty of pokemon that are physically incapable of sign-language as well.)

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I suppose, but there are some animals that are smart enough to comprehend what they're saying and actually have conversations/solve math problems/etc.

Moreover, Pokemon are... Much smarter than your average animal. Am I wrong in saying that?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I suppose, but there are some animals that are smart enough to comprehend what they're saying and actually have conversations/solve math problems/etc.

Moreover, Pokemon are... Much smarter than your average animal. Am I wrong in saying that?
That seems to be the case. Unlike humans, who are animals that base their actions off of thought moreso than instinct, wild animals (I'll separate humans and the like from others by calling the former "domesticated" and the latter "wild") use instinct for 90%+ of they're daily habits, reserving intellect for things like tactics and resolving the unexpected. Pokemon, in most cases, are much like domesticated animals, in the fact that they rely almost entirely on intelligence (though still base their actions on instinct moreso than humans). This is mostly the case for battles, but it's clear that they also use it in the use of abilities and socialization. They make far more decisions than wild animals, showing far more emotion, affection, tact, and social ability than animals. In other words, Pokemon are smarter than wild animals because they have to be, despite the similarities between them, Pokemon are far more social and (inevitably) more tactical, they have more abilities and options at their disposal, and thus, decision making is key.

Haru

Wolf Simp
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 21, 2023
Just checking, is the Ice Type Teacher Pryce still open, Also when you rp IC whats the minimum length of your reply supposed to be?

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Just curious, how often does Yellow post? No rush, I know how much she posts for each character she RPs as. :) I so CAN wait to see how Kiyoko reacts to Kilik & Mistress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back