• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Wait wait wait wait wait - Washington D.C. isn't actually physically in Washington? Is that what you're saying?

Oh, Andy. xD
I'm glad that this is cleared up now; I might have had to get my Social Studies teacher to make fun of you. In fact, I THINK I SHOULD BRING THIS UP IN CLASS!! :D /even though we just finished talking about WWI and aren't remotely near the topic of geography

I need to figure out how to draw a good pipe bomb . . . oh, for a PIPA drawing. One of the "P"s shall be a pipe bomb. Yus.
I also need to go figure out my Inheritence fanfic . . .
/totally off topic

Do we even have a topic? lol
Oh, yeah, the gay bashing thing . . . Y'know, I'm lazy, so I'll just agree with whatever Scarf said, even though I can't remember what Scarf said. Whatever it was it was probably highly intelligent. There, now that that's settled . . .
xD

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Lol, don't be too hard on Andy, he lives about as far away from Washington DC as you can get.

Years
Hello, guys! I apologize for being inactive for like.... AGES!!!! But yeah, a lot of things going on!
Really? Wow, this is turning into a Geography Lesson! Which is actually pretty good as I have a test tomorrow!! Yay! To be honest, it is extremely stupid ( the naming and stuff)!
Anywho, it's nice to be back, and read the last twenty pages or so!! Haha!

Years
As for Cynthia Nixon, I don't think she realises what she's done. I understand her point, but this is not an ideal world. We don't own the game yet, we're still playing it on the bigots' terms and whether she likes ceding the point to them or not, she's just given them a whole load of ammunition.
Wouldn't it be better to argue that it doesn't matter if it's a choice because it's not hurting anyone and it's no one's business what your orientation is? If you say it's not a choice ever that's kind of like saying it has to be tolerated only because no one can help it, but if it were a choice it would be okay to persecute.

Nakuzami

Years
Random little short story I felt like sharing:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Was any of that confusing? Because I myself feel a bit confused, but likely because of all the events that went on, lol.
But I will say that if my friend was involved, and people do make fun of him for it, I'm going to punch them all in the face. I'm even forsaking the angry Magikarp; I'm just going to flat out punch them.

@Pudz - I'm not upset, just full of ROFL. xD

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I can't understand that story cause you have every person listed as "my friend but not that friend the other friend", lol. You should give them fake names.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I kinda understood that...but kinda didn't as you added more people. :( lol Um well, if they're making fun of someone for being gay, the most you can do is educate them on how it's not a bad thing, it's not something you choose, and all that. If they continue to make fun of this kid that may or may not be gay for that, then don't punch them in the face, cause you don't wanna get suspended. Just ignore them and don't talk to them. Report them, if they get to a point where it's harassment. I might be giving the wrong advice cause like I said, I kinda didn't understand it at the end.

But I think, especially at your age, the most important thing kids and young adults can do is just understand homosexuality. It's not exposed to everyone at that age, and often not exposed in a good way. I mean, I didn't really get an ideal understanding of it till after high school, mainly from here on PC because obviously in Alabama, I'm only hearing the negatives, not the positives, not the harsh treatment homosexuals get, etc.

...Well then. /ramble

Nakuzami

Years
I can't understand that story cause you have every person listed as "my friend but not that friend the other friend", lol. You should give them fake names.

THERE, fake names just for you. Meet Snow White, Cinderella and Taylor Lautner. Yeah, they're my peeps. You jelly?

@Sydian - I understand that, lol. I'M STILL GOING TO MENTALLY PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE. But, again, I haven't actually seen it happening, just heard that it apparently happened. Plus, I'm still not sure if that friend was actually involved in all of it, or he just happened to be there, or whatever. BUT if it does turn out that he is, and then I see people making fun of him, I shall RAGE.
Haha, I don't think anybody there has ever seen me truly rage. The one time that I ever did, I think, was . . . a few years ago, maybe around fifth grade. I forget what it was about, BUT LET'S JUST SAY THOSE KIDS DIDN'T BOTHER ME AGAIN. xD
"especially at your age" . . . *blinks* Gawd, don't say that. It tends to bug me a lot because when people actually say that their like "oh, you're only thirteen, you still need to learn how to comprehend the most basic features of the world." RAGEFACE >:C I may be thirteen, but that doesn't mean I'm a "child" per se.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
"especially at your age" . . . *blinks* Gawd, don't say that. It tends to bug me a lot because when people actually say that their like "oh, you're only thirteen, you still need to learn how to comprehend the most basic features of the world." RAGEFACE >:C I may be thirteen, but that doesn't mean I'm a "child" per se.

But only thirteen year olds say "Gawd"! It's not really directed at you per se. The majority of that age group has a lot of growing up to do. Not everyone at your age understands as much as you might, which is what I meant. Not you specifically, lol. Clearly you understand this kind of stuff, especially being a member of this club yourself. Your peers though, likely not so much.

Nakuzami

Years
But only thirteen year olds say "Gawd"! It's not really directed at you per se. The majority of that age group has a lot of growing up to do. Not everyone at your age understands as much as you might, which is what I meant. Not you specifically, lol. Clearly you understand this kind of stuff, especially being a member of this club yourself. Your peers though, likely not so much.

Yet older people say some weird things too! :P Yeah, I get that. I mean . . . I don't really socialize much, less with people my age actually, so I don't quite know what all the other kids my age understand, although I think more understand it than not, surprisingly(at least certain aspects of the subject, lol), so I can't really speak for them . . . but . . . whatever, lol.
I guess it just kinda bugs me when people say I can't understand something just because I'm thirteen, which actually doesn't happen often, more today than most. I kind of just went off at Kura for it, lol.

. . . we need another topic to discuss . . . but I'm crap at coming up with them . . . *whistles* So, how we all doin' on this fine day of January?

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
Years
I have to be relied upon for everything. I'll make us a new topic. <3

What kind of homophobic or transphobic bullying or crime have you personally witnessed, and how did you respond to it? Have you ever been bullied, and if so, did someone help you?

Not exactly a happy-go-lucky topic, I know. Deal with it. ^^

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
I've been rather lucky, as I have never witnessed or experienced any form of bullying due to my sexuality. My high school was very chill with all sorts of people. The worst thing I ever witnessed was after Brokeback Mountain was released and this one guy in my history class said he thought the movie was gross. He was immediately intimidated into submission by the girl sitting in front of him. xDDD It was rather humorous. So yeah, that is the worst I have seen.

As for outside of high school, well, I don't get out much. xD

Usagi-Chan~

What are you doing my love?
Years
  • Age 26
  • US
  • Seen Apr 7, 2024
What kind of homophobic or transphobic bullying or crime have you personally witnessed, and how did you respond to it? Have you ever been bullied, and if so, did someone help you?

Well, I haven't seen any bullying recently unless you count everything about LGBT's any republican candidate says, I did experience some myself in like, 4th grade, but that is a different story. Although tonight out my scout meeting I did see some positive stuff, so I'll finish off in a spoiler ^__^
Spoiler:

Hope I didn't waste anyone's time with the story, I just thought it was neat!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
lmao @ geography lesson. I'm so derpy sometimes XD

Wouldn't it be better to argue that it doesn't matter if it's a choice because it's not hurting anyone and it's no one's business what your orientation is? If you say it's not a choice ever that's kind of like saying it has to be tolerated only because no one can help it, but if it were a choice it would be okay to persecute.

Right, well this is exactly my point: in an ideal world, it wouldn't matter whether or not it was a choice. But as I said, this is not an ideal world. We live in a world full of all different kinds of people, and for some perverse reason all of these people - a fair portion of whom are bigots - have the power to vote on whether we get the rights we should never have been without. The bigots who would vote no do so because they're convinced this is something we chose for the sake of rebelling against God or their precious societal norms or whatever it is they think we wish to defy; and they think because we chose it we can un-choose it, and therefore we shouldn't get the same recognition until we do.

The only way we can combat this is by trying to convince them (as is true) that this is not something over which we ever had any power. And we have built a whole movement around this very premise. So for somebody to then come out and say "I did choose this" sends the public very mixed messages and undermines everything we're trying to do... and for what purpose? Arguing that it's none of their business and should be tolerated either way (while also very true) would just not be effective and come off self-righteous - especially since the proportion of people for whom it is a choice would be staggeringly small.

I mean, good for her - personally I don't care whether she chose to be gay or if she was born that way, but I think her coming out with it was rather pointless and detrimental... because the reality is that we live in a world where it does matter. I think, well-intentioned as it was, this was just really not a smart move. If we're ever going to get anywhere, we have to think pragmatically, not passionately.

Last edited:

Pudz

Incredible Edible Vegetarian
Years

For all the downers that there were to taking twenty-seven years to come out, one of them was the fact there was very little prejudice or bullying with regards to my gender issues when I was growing up ~ cause, well... nobody knew about it. It wasn't the worlds best trade off, really; I'd have accepted a decade of bullying if it had meant I got to be myself at seventeen instead of twenty-seven, but alas, I digress.

In terms of /since/ coming out, I haven't really had to deal with anything either. Then again, I'm rarely outside the company of my ex, and she takes pretty good care of me.

Years
Right, well this is exactly my point: in an ideal world, it wouldn't matter whether or not it was a choice. But as I said, this is not an ideal world. We live in a world full of all different kinds of people, and for some perverse reason all of these people - a fair portion of whom are bigots - have the power to vote on whether we get the rights we should never have been without. The bigots who would vote no do so because they're convinced this is something we chose for the sake of rebelling against God or their precious societal norms or whatever it is they think we wish to defy; and they think because we chose it we can un-choose it, and therefore we shouldn't get the same recognition until we do.

The only way we can combat this is by trying to convince them (as is true) that this is not something over which we ever had any power. And we have built a whole movement around this very premise. So for somebody to then come out and say "I did choose this" sends the public very mixed messages and undermines everything we're trying to do... and for what purpose? Arguing that it's none of their business and should be tolerated either way (while also very true) would just not be effective and come off self-righteous - especially since the proportion of people for whom it is a choice would be staggeringly small.

I mean, good for her - personally I don't care whether she chose to be gay or if she was born that way, but I think her coming out with it was rather pointless and detrimental... because the reality is that we live in a world where it does matter. I think, well-intentioned as it was, this was just really not a smart move. If we're ever going to get anywhere, we have to think pragmatically, not passionately.
See, that's what I think part of the problem is. We've built the whole idea on the notion that no one can choose. It's a defensive stance. It reinforces the idea that only those things that are beyond people's control should be protected instead of using a better measure of things-that-don't-hurt-anyone should be protected. In general that's not a good way to look at the world. "It wasn't my choice" is not very far from "It wasn't my fault."

I also think it has the potential to alienate anyone who is confused or questioning or curious about their sexuality. Right now the message is: when you're young it's okay to be unsure, but once you grow up you'll now what you are and that'll never change. If someone does have some change in their feelings or identity beyond those initial years of puberty the message we put out there says "Well, if you think you're gay now it must mean that you were gay all along and didn't know it." I don't think that's a fair thing to say to a person. I think it ridicules their life up to that point by implying they were using a "false" sexuality or something along those lines. I'd also hate to see someone who might feel curious about their sexuality being forced back into a "No, I'm straight, I can't" mentality. That's bad for them mentally and emotionally.

I get that it's easier to get people to allow something if we say "It's not a choice," but that marginalizes people within an already marginalized group.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

I've seen indirect bullying...more like just talking bad about someone. On the bus, some guy was making fun of the guy that was on our danceline/colorguard and he was calling him the unholy f word, so I got up and yelled at him. And I've actually been bullied for being gay, even though I'm not. I was at a new school that year (and thankfully that was the ONLY year I was there) and I was bullied for being gay because I hung out with ONE person that was the same sex as me. Yeah, cause that obviously makes me gay. :| No one stood up for me though. I hated that school lol. ...I still do... :3

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years

I've never actually seen anyone bully anyone who's actually homosexual. Around where I live it's like mainstream to be Bi-sexual now, so no one is really bullied. People who are actually straight but act effeminate or masculine get called everything meaning gay. Which usually ends up all messy in the end. ): oh, look, i posted in this thread since joining. :o

Back