• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to change the Worldmap in R/S/E

Larsie13

Oh, Jeez! I'm really doing badly! I no longer have any idea what I'm doing wrong!
My map is still srewed up! I saved the Worldmap and Tilemap at 0x00DF0000 and 0x00DF0001. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I followed all the instructions!
Well, isn't it obvious? The tileset probably uses more than just one byte. Try inserting them into the ROM again, this time putting the tilemap at 0x00DF1000. I know that my tileset uses about 0x940 bytes, so reserving 0x1000 bytes should be enough.

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Well, isn't it obvious? The tileset probably uses more than just one byte. Try inserting them into the ROM again, this time putting the tilemap at 0x00DF1000. I know that my tileset uses about 0x940 bytes, so reserving 0x1000 bytes should be enough.

Yeah, but I did what you suggested and this happened:

Last edited:

Larsie13

Yeah, but I did what you suggested and this happened:
Hmm, could you show me the tileset, and a screenshot of your tilemap editor? It'd make it easier for me to spot the problem.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2010
I followed the tutorial and for some reason now the map just shows up as a black screen. Can anyone help me out?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I am having an issue - I saved the palette from VBA, but can't import it into Tile Molester. .pal isn't in the compatible formats list, and naturally, using a different format wouldn't work.

Any help here? I'm using a wrong version, maybe?

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2013
I can seem to import my tileset, however when I try to import my tilemap I don't get a message telling me it's moved and in-game it uses the old tilemap. I've tried heaps of different offsets and both 4bpp and 8bpp mode settings on NTME.

I've thought about using another tile map editor but I get the feeling it won't make a difference. Can anyone help?

DawnRyder

I cannot believe I'm back -.-
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
I can seem to import my tileset, however when I try to import my tilemap I don't get a message telling me it's moved and in-game it uses the old tilemap. I've tried heaps of different offsets and both 4bpp and 8bpp mode settings on NTME.

I've thought about using another tile map editor but I get the feeling it won't make a difference. Can anyone help?

Get PTC (Professional TileMap Creator).
It's probably in the Tools Thread.

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2013
still no luck. I used PTC and the same thing happened. It didn't give me a ptr changed message when I wrote it to the ROM and still used the old tilemap in-game.
any other ideas?

Also I found out the if I import the tilemap first then it'll give me a ptr changed message but it won't for the tileset and neither the tileset or tilemap are used if it's done like that

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2020
Hmm It's a very good tutorial but I need some help.
I have this map but I haven't the tilesets which goes with.
The map but no tileset of the map so I can't insert.
ps: It's for a Ruby hack.

what the~
Are you from switzerland?

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
Years
hmmm so how far off would this tutorial be from working on a fire red rom, this is one of the better tuts ive seen for changing the map but, its not for fr/lg =[

Larsie13

hmmm so how far off would this tutorial be from working on a fire red rom, this is one of the better tuts ive seen for changing the map but, its not for fr/lg =[
Well, it's perfectly fine for use with FR/LG, only should you use different unLZ numbers, and set both TileMolester and NTME to 4BPP mode. (In TileMolester, use 4BPP Linear.) The rest is quite the same for all GBA games. However, I don't know which unLZ numbers you should use for FR/LG. But there's a thread in the Documents and Tutorials section. This one. (According to the thread, it's 191 for the tileset in FR, so that would make it 192 for the tilemap.)
I followed the tutorial and for some reason now the map just shows up as a black screen. Can anyone help me out?
A black screen? You mean, when you see the worldmap in-game (through Fly, Pokénav or on the wall in the PC), you get a completely black screen? Can you get back from the screen to regular gameplay? And does everything else still work?
still no luck. I used PTC and the same thing happened. It didn't give me a ptr changed message when I wrote it to the ROM and still used the old tilemap in-game.
any other ideas?

Also I found out the if I import the tilemap first then it'll give me a ptr changed message but it won't for the tileset and neither the tileset or tilemap are used if it's done like that
Well, I don't know what the problem might be, since that never happened to me, but what you could try, is to first import and repoint the tileset, then import the tilemap, BUT DON'T REPOINT. Just keep it at the offset where it was. In other words, don't change the Image Offset, and also don't check "Automatically Change Pointers". That could help, I guess.

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2013
I managed to get it working! It was because I used a 256x64 resolution for my tileset but when I switched to 128x128 it worked perfectly!:) So the tilemap was loading the wrong tiles with the 256x64 tileset.
thanks for the amazing tutorial!:D

Larsie13

I managed to get it working! It was because I used a 256x64 resolution for my tileset but when I switched to 128x128 it worked perfectly!:) So the tilemap was loading the wrong tiles with the 256x64 tileset.
thanks for the amazing tutorial!:D
Well, I'm glad you managed to get it working by yourself.
I did it all and I didn't seem to have any problem !
]Thank You!
You're welcome! :)

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
Years
Well, it's perfectly fine for use with FR/LG, only should you use different unLZ numbers, and set both TileMolester and NTME to 4BPP mode. (In TileMolester, use 4BPP Linear.) The rest is quite the same for all GBA games. However, I don't know which unLZ numbers you should use for FR/LG. But there's a thread in the Documents and Tutorials section. This one. (According to the thread, it's 191 for the tileset in FR, so that would make it 192 for the tilemap.)

okay thanks ima try this now then =D

Aisu K.

SHOWMEYAMOVES
Years
  • Age 33
  • Home
  • Seen Oct 6, 2010
Alright, I'm pretty sure I followed your tutorial to a T. However...

This is what I wanted...
shat.png

Aaaaand this is what I got...
PokemonRuby.png

Any idea what I messed up on? (Ruby ROM, btw.)

Last edited:

Larsie13

Alright, I'm pretty sure I followed your tutorial to a T. However...

This is what I wanted...
shat.png

Aaaaand this is what I got...
PokemonRuby.png

Any idea what I messed up on? (Ruby ROM, btw.)
Hmm, yeah. Easy one. NTME has to be in 8BPP mode. Though, now that I checked the first post, I see it's not in there. It's really important that you do that, so I'll edit the first post.
(But if you checked the images, you could see that I had NTME set to 8BPP mode.)

Back