• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation 6 last generation of Pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2013
I have recently come up with the idea that Generation 6 will be the last Generation of Pokemon ever released. The reason for this is just think about it:

• You are only allowed to carrier 6 Pokemon with you
  • With this new Generation of Pokemon you can now have one Pokemon from each Generation on your team.

Kanto
Johto
Hoenn
Sinnoh
Unova
This new Generation.

If anything they should end Pokemon after this Generation. It would be dumb to make a 7th Generation of Pokemon. Because then it would be uneven. And then my OCD would kick in.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
They don't care about the even stuff. As long as they make money they will make more. I highly doubt 6th will be the last. Exspecly now since they seem to be going to every main country that plays pokemon. France/US being one. They will probably end up going to Britian, Ireland, Brazil, and a few other big areas. Besides, I think this may be the wrong area since this is more with the games and not the anime.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I'm fairly certain Gen VI will not be the last. There's really no reason for them to stop. From a financial perspective, I'm absolutely sure Pokémon is still making a lot more money than it takes to produce. And the rather drastic upgrades being made in Gen VI seem more like the beginning of something than the end.

Also moving this over to Pokémon General, seeing as it's not about the anime. ;x

Years
I'm fairly certain Gen VI will not be the last. There's really no reason for them to stop. From a financial perspective, I'm absolutely sure Pokémon is still making a lot more money than it takes to produce. And the rather drastic upgrades being made in Gen VI seem more like the beginning of something than the end.

I agree with Anna there, Pokemon is the second biggest selling game franchise (only behind the Mario games) so it's definitely unlikely to end anytime soon. Pokemon still rolls in the money and not to mention every new generation makes new improvements to the gameplay.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I highly doubt Gen VI is the last generation, as Masuda and Tajiri never confirmed this themselves. Given the Pokémon franchise's popularity, I don't see it ending any time soon.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
I have recently come up with the idea that Generation 6 will be the last Generation of Pokemon ever released. The reason for this is just think about it:

• You are only allowed to carrier 6 Pokemon with you
  • With this new Generation of Pokemon you can now have one Pokemon from each Generation on your team.
Kanto
Johto
Hoenn
Sinnoh
Unova
This new Generation.

If anything they should end Pokemon after this Generation. It would be dumb to make a 7th Generation of Pokemon. Because then it would be uneven. And then my OCD would kick in.

That's one big conspiracy theory as it's outlandish, unfounded and irrational. As others have said, they will make more.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
From a business perspective, that'd be franchise suicide to end Pokemon with this generation just because of the amount of Pokemon you can carry.

Years
I understand that it might be nicer to go out on top rather than have the franchise fizzle out like many before them, but with the amount of money that Pokemon pulls in is way too high to just pull the plug. Not only are they making revenue from the main series games, but the anime, TCG, spin-off games and merchandise are big money makers in their own right, and as long as it continues to be successful (and people like us keep giving them money), I expect Pokemon to stay strong for years to come.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I still don't get how anyone can actually think that Pokemon will end...
You need to stop looking at Pokemon as hobby but as business before presenting speculation of this sort.
This business works, pays off and everything.
If you had such a successful business, would you stop it?

Years
As everyone else already established, the Pokémon franchise is just a cash cow. It's absolutely one of Nintendo's largest sources of profit, and while they acknowledge that they have a huge fanbase, they won't care about the fact that people could have one Pokémon from each region on their team, or other things like that. I very much doubt the franchise will be stopping any time soon.

While I'm glad to be able to say that, I'm also a little sad, because I think eventually their ideas (for everything to do with the games) are bound to become quite stale. After they reach about 1000 Pokémon I think that would be a great point to at least stop introducing new Pokémon to the series, and just work with the vast amount that they have from that point.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
As everyone else has basically said - it's the most reliable performer in Nintendo's repertoire. It is to handhelds what Fifa / CoD / Assassin's Creed? (seems that way now) is to Xbox/Playstation. Why the hell would they stop it?
I doubt I'm going to buy the new games, may eventually get Black 2, but tbh my only problem with future generations would be if the main people behind it (Masuda etc.) stopped being involved. Then it could go south fast.

Guest123_x1

We've been through this before... as long as the games keep selling, there will be future generations of Pokémon past Gen. VI-possibly well past a tenth generation, and over 1,000 Pokémon.
I remember people on here claiming Gen. V was the last when it was first announced, and it, of course, turned out to be bunk.

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2013
Pretty sure that so long as there's Nintendo, there will be Pokemon. It's part of their, and pretty much the gaming world's, DNA.

xNeonVulpyx

PokeMaster Vulpy <3
Years
No, it won't end there. We'll probably end up with 100 gens before it ends. XD

I do wish it would stop there though. Actualy, I wished it would stop at Gen 4. There's WAAAAAAY too many Pokemon now. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with it all.

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2013
No, it won't end there. We'll probably end up with 100 gens before it ends. XD

I do wish it would stop there though. Actualy, I wished it would stop at Gen 4. There's WAAAAAAY too many Pokemon now. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with it all.

I am a Veteran of Pokemon, and i remember that one of the appeals to it was that you could name all of the original 151 Pokemon. Most of my friends who was around when Pokemon began can still name all 151, including myself. Now i don't even know how many pokemon are there. I've been playing some hacks on the VBA, and i ran into some Pokemon where i was just like what the **** is that thing? I looked it up on Bulbedia and to my surprise it was a legit Pokemon.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't. My little brother is up to date on all currently known Pokémon, their types, and evolutionary methods. I've been lazy about remembering that kind of stuff since Gen III and yet I still know most of them. The amount of Pokémon isn't really a problem imo. Look how many animals there are!

But what I would like to see is more expansive regions and interesting stories rather than a hundred or so new Pokémon every generation. Cut down the number of new ones every gen and focus on the gameplay and story and Pokémon can probably coast along much more easily for quite a bit longer.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
i agree with anna and hikari completely, maybe cut it down to 50 new pokemon per generation, and improve the gameplay and story, you might have something special there...

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Pokemon is one of Nintendo's most successful franchises; why on earth would they stop at six generations? It makes no financial sense whatsoever and, given the current economic climate and the dismal performance of the Wii-U, Nintendo need the revenue Pokemon generates now a great deal. I can't see them ever stopping unless it's no longer profitable for them to do so, and even then, they'd probably keep on re-releasing the games with slight graphical updates every console/handheld generation or so, because when a Pokemon game comes out on a handheld, the sales of that handheld skyrocket.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
As everyone else has said, Nintendo is a business, and Pokemon is one of its main cash cows! No way they are letting that go while it's successful. Makes no business sense at all. Businesses don't purposefully lose money, haha.

Back