• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Who is the toughest Gym leader you ever battled?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 25, 2013
this sounds stupid but i had a little trouble with Bugsy. i chose Totodile as my starter that might have been the problem.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
heart gold and soulsilver are in gen 4 so WHITNEY. That blasted normal gym leader and her infamous Miltank. ugh. Thats all I need to say as I bet a bunch of you all feel the same way lol

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
Well, I got knocked out the most times by Whitney I guess :3 I even may have held my Gameboy system tighter for preparation when she says the phrase before you battle her: "I'm warning you, I'm goooood!" xD

Years
Fantina. Her Mismagius really caused me problems whichever Pokemon I used. If I recall correctly, the last time I battled Fantina I won on my 6th try. Never easy against her.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 28, 2013
Definitely Clair. I had to try multiple times to try and beat her. I guess my team wasn't good enough.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
I would have to say Chuck. He was a pain in the ass to defeat. His Pokemon were so bulky, and then there was that stupid Poliwrath which resisted everything you threw at it. It also didn't help that all your Pokemon were severely underleveled compared to his at that stage, bar your starters and a few other Pokemon, all of which are basically useless against his Pokemon anyway. T.T

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I think Clair was the hardest in Gen 4 for me. I can't even remember why it was so hard, I just remember losing so many times I ran out of money. Then when she still refused to give me my badge, I wanted to cry.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 23, 2013
I always despised Bugsy really, His scyther was a pain! Seriously I tried billions of times until one of my pokemon got up to level 23 then I aced Scyther.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
Whitney - MILTANK I WANT TO KILLLL YOUUUU

Chuck - Forgot about his Poliwrath's Water Absorb every time and my water Pokemon was the only one left every time....

Fantina - Oops. Next time, remind me that even if you blow through the trainers with a Kadabra, that doesn't mean you will blow through HER with a Kadabra.

Clair - JKHLJCEHKDFSJGHNKJHTDRUKHGUKSERTHJ KINGDRA

On the other side of the spectrum (easy gym leaders):
Volkner: *stands by and laughs at his Pokemon as my Garchomp uses Earthquake*

First gym leader in Johto: "Mareep/Flaafy, use ThunderShock!"

Candice: "Magmar, use Flamethrower! Staraptor, us Close Combat but not on Froslass!"

Roark: #bubble #razorleaf #machpunch

Byron: Gym leader, or first trainer?

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
The hardest one for me to beat was Clair. She had such powerful dragons. xD I really hated going to that gym because it was so hard. I had to get so many items for it.

From Laurentum

A Newbie in the Community
Years
I'm currently playing Pokemon SoulSilver (yes, while others out there are busy playing X/Y) and I would say the toughest gym leader I've ever battled in Generation IV was Clair of Blackthorn City. I'm still training my Jynx and my Electrode just to get the Rising Badge from her. My team is not that good when it comes to her. -_-

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'm pretty sure since I was always underleveled in the Fourth Generation core games, Fantina (Platinum) and Maylene (D/P) - and even vice versa! - were the most difficult Gym Leaders. Drifblim/Gengar and Lucario, respectively, always tripped me up and I had to grind like no tomorrow to beat them.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Chuck was very difficult to overcome when I was using a team of 4 based on a challenge. My VIPs were weak to water and fighting. :'( I had to train a Pokemon some 8 levels over to power on through.

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
Honestly, everybody says Whitney, but I had no problem with her, AT ALL. All I had to do was buy TM Fire Blast from the Goldenrod City and teach it to my Quilava. And guess what? I 1HKOd her Miltank, lol.

Hardest gym? None, they were all pretty damn easy.

Back