• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Relationships in and with Pokemon

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Where exactly do you draw the line in your writing between the relationships of Pokemon and people? Are they just friends? Pets? Companions? Or can they be something else entirely, like a lover? If you choose to let Pokemon and people have romantic relations, are they merely flings or do you believe that they can actually have meaningful and lasting romantic feelings towards one and other? Do you change by the setting? Having different time periods or regions holding different visions on the subject such as a medieval setting fully condoning human x humanoid pokemon relations but not any others whereas a more modern setting would condemn such actions at any level?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I think I'd need to make some form of PMD explanation if I'd have humans and pokémon be romantic towards each other. Meaning, the pokémon would actually be a human to begin with and would end up as one in the end too or something like that. But it would depend on the setting, of course. If you are writing some deep intricate story in a world where humans and pokémon share an evolved society, maybe even both species speak the same language, it wouldn't be any different from writing Mass Effect or Star Trek fiction or something where members of different species fall in love. But if you would set your fic in the anime or strict game universe, it would be more like falling in romantic love with an animal, and that's not really working for me.

Generally when I write RP stories, I have my pokémon be pretty intelligent to the point that they can be good trusted friends with their trainer or other humans, and they can even have their own agendas and dreams to follow that make them take certain actions or make some decisions. I think I think of it as closer and more well communicated friendships than a human and a dog would have, for example, but not quite like between two human beings.

Back