• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
I know how to stop it from happening... But that's it. Uh, ok so... When reading the "Play facing" byte the program creates the error. This is because it is read from a level script, which is not there in the hacked engine. So the byte it reads is 0xFF, which is invalid for the combo box, which has to be between 0 and 3. Get it?

It's not difficult to fix, just comment out a few lines in the programs code. But in this case, it's easier to just use a hex editor to edit the ROM. It's only 3 bytes, after all.

Sounds like a simple enough fix. I'm assuming that the playerfacing byte is packed in there with the map bank, map level, and x-pos bytes... right?

Oh, and btw, your info is correct. I went in and changed the start map in a hex editor, and it worked just fine.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Sounds like a simple enough fix. I'm assuming that the playerfacing byte is packed in there with the map bank, map level, and x-pos bytes... right?

Oh, and btw, your info is correct. I went in and changed the start map in a hex editor, and it worked just fine.

No no, the playerfacing byte was in the level script, which has been removed. You'll need a new level script to change the direction the player is facing.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
No no, the playerfacing byte was in the level script, which has been removed. You'll need a new level script to change the direction the player is facing.

"I see!" said the blind man to the deaf guy.

Okay, makes perfect sense now. Not sure what my reasoning was in assuming I could do it via hex without a level script. Since JPAN's hacked engine has all scripts removed, there is no level script to determine which way the player is facing, and since SMCA can't find that little bit of information it has the error.

Nosophoros

I'm eating your cake
Years
Does anyone have any zorua and zoroark sprites, back sprites, and icons? Pokedex information would be appreciated too.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
Does anyone have any zorua and zoroark sprites, back sprites, and icons? Pokedex information would be appreciated too.

It would be kind of hard to have Pokedex info on pokemon that haven't been in any games yet, but there may be some info on serebii. Ask simdu about Zorua and Zoroak. You could also check the ROM Hacking Resources thread, I think I saw them in there a week or two ago.

Years

sonlen

Hacking Noob
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2011
Seeing as my post was buried and forgotten, does anyone know how to repoint the title screen palette for fire red so that I can use a custom palette because I can't change the default ones without changing more then I need to, thanks to anyone who can tell me if I can and how. Even if I have to hex edit some I can deal with that.

Last edited:

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
I have a few questions.

1-What are the consequences of making a map bigger or smaller? In other words, what kind of problems could it cause, and how would I avoid them?

2-What are the consequences of increasing the number of events/signposts/warps ect. in a map?

Buizark

Always looking for an OU match
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 5, 2016
I have a few questions.

1-What are the consequences of making a map bigger or smaller? In other words, what kind of problems could it cause, and how would I avoid them?

2-What are the consequences of increasing the number of events/signposts/warps ect. in a map?
1.No consequences in changing map size.
2.no consequences in making new scripts.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
1.No consequences in changing map size.
2.no consequences in making new scripts.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that there are absolutely no consequences for either of those. It all depends on where you put the new, larger data (be it a map or the event data for that map). Because the map is bigger, you obviously have to put the map data somewhere other than where it was originally located, somewhere with more space for more blocks. However, if you (or AdvanceMap) put the map in a spot where there is already data, the overwriting of that data can, and most likely will, cause problems.

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2010
how do you get a trainer to switch Pokemon on a specific turn?

Is there any way to make an opponent trainer's AI do something specific? I'm basically trying to make a pre-scripted battle.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to make the opponent trainer's AI use a specific move on the first turn, and then switch to a different Pokemon on the second turn.

I want it to go like this:

Turn 1
- MyPkmn used Taunt!
- EnemyPkmn1 used Will-o-Wisp! But it can only use attack moves now!

Turn 2
- EnemyTrainer recalled EnemyPkmn1 and sent out EnemyPkmn2!

Note: The opponent trainer has 4 different Pokemon, and I'll need it to switch to a specific Pokemon.

.Paradox

Hack Completion: ~5%...LOL
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 8, 2011
Ok here's my 2 questions.

For when the character acquires the Pokedex, he gets it by trying to leave the lab but Oak stops him and calls him back over to get it, then he says stuff and gives it to him.

How do I make it so the script can detect if I have the Pokedex or not? Would it be something like

checkflag 0x801
if 0x0 goto @1

or something else? I'm not sure. Also, besides that, I need to know how to make Oak give me the Dex after he talks. I know how to make everything lead up to that point but not him actually giving me the Pokedex.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
This could be a great idea, I never thought in this perspective. so far I have always thought i should find a way to compress the sprites. removing the decompression routine maybe allows me to insert images. I hope there is enough free space..

Thank you so much thethethethe, probably you are my savior!!! This could really help me a lot.
*going to open debugger to find decompression routine*

EDIT:
One more question: how to transform the gif image in hex code? Let me explain. what hexadecimal value is associated with a given pixel (example: 04 = black pixel, 8C = white pixel, etc.). Is there a correlation table?

To insert a gif image using hex editor, shall i simply open the image with the hex editor and paste the string into the right pointed address of the rom?

I would say do what was done for Brown. Decompress the images and double the size of the ROM. This will give you an extra Megabyte to play around with and insert as many pictures as you want without worrying about running out of ROM space (Just don't make more than 253 Pokemon!) This is effective too because it will allow you to get rid of the crappy magnified back pics and replace them with Gold/Silver quality back pics. Be warned though, because if you do this you'll have to insert uncompressed pics for every pokemon in the game even if you intend to have their picture remain the same.

You will also have to tell the game which bank to fetch the pictures from somehow. Sadly you cannot just copy/paste bytes of a gif into a ROM. However Tile Layer Pro is a nifty program that will let you import bitmaps.

If you have any more questions, seriously get stuck and have no idea what to do, let me know. I always have to look out for my fellow Italianos ;)

Last edited:

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
I would say do what was done for Brown. Decompress the images and double the size of the ROM. This will give you an extra Megabyte to play around with and insert as many pictures as you want without worrying about running out of ROM space (Just don't make more than 253 Pokemon!) This is effective too because it will allow you to get rid of the crappy magnified back pics and replace them with Gold/Silver quality back pics. Be warned though, because if you do this you'll have to insert uncompressed pics for every pokemon in the game even if you intend to have their picture remain the same.

I don't know why but until yesterday I always thought that you (or your colleague MeanMrMustard) had discovered the "notorious" algorithm and you're using it as easily as drinking a glass of water.

You will also have to tell the game which bank to fetch the pictures from somehow. Sadly you cannot just copy/paste bytes of a gif into a ROM. However Tile Layer Pro is a nifty program that will let you import bitmaps.
Yes, I used TLP to change the Intro tiles. Now, once I found that routine and neutralized it, I have to put the sprites in the new free space, arranging them like the tiles are, and update the pointers, right?

If you have any more questions, seriously get stuck and have no idea what to do, let me know. I always have to look out for my fellow Italianos ;)
Thanks, you really helped me a lot!! I hope me not to have need help too soon

Last edited:

hack1

Dragon Green
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2015
On my hack, when I enter to Route 1, everything works. But after wild battle game blacks out. What's wrong?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
On my hack, when I enter to Route 1, everything works. But after wild battle game blacks out. What's wrong?

You may have accidentally overwritten some important bytes that control battles, probably the wild pokemon data in the map - you can fix this in AMap. But, it may be the engine, which means you need to go to backup, or start again.

psychicboy

Hacking is all that matters...
Years
Alright, how can I find out how much free space is still in the ROM?

And does expanding your rom to 32Mb essentially double your space available?

sonlen

Hacking Noob
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2011
Does anyone know if the title screen palette is used for anything besides the title screen so that if I replaced the whole thing it would not mess anything else up?

Alright, how can I find out how much free space is still in the ROM?

And does expanding your rom to 32Mb essentially double your space available?
You can use a hex editor and look for all the FF and 00 bytes, or use FSF, I beleive it is in the tools section. As for expanding the rom I'm not quite sure, I did it once but I had to delete it because I messed up the rom, and havn't tried it since, but it seems like it just adds more space for more things to add on to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back