• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has anyone successfully made a Dungeon Generator?

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
For a Mystery Dungeon game? I'd like to know how to make one, I've been trying to play around with it but I can't match mine to the real games. Anyone have any pseudo code they'd like to share?

I'm sure the best way to do this is to create a 2 dimensional array, with each value corresponding to whether it is passable or not. Then you can place the items and then place the tiles on the actual room corresponding on which places near it are passable and randomize it for some added tile effects. The only problem is placing those boxes and paths. I can't get it right.

I'm using Game Maker, but like I said I'd rather have pseudo code than actual code. Well, actual code will help even if it's not GML, just need an example to build off of.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Oh, it seems it does. Is it similar to that of the Mystery Dungeon dungeon generator? I don't have RPG Maker, so I can't check for myself.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
RM2k3 has one built in, i suspect RMXP has one too. It just creates random dungeons depending on the tiles you want and stuff. It will make sure all events aren't blocked off and whatnot.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Oh, it seems it does. Is it similar to that of the Mystery Dungeon dungeon generator? I don't have RPG Maker, so I can't check for myself.

The maps it generates are quite similar to the PMD maps.
Have you tried searching on Google for a random map script? I'm sure you'll be able to find some code for one.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
Funny you should ask, I'm currently having many problems with getting that script working outside of Essentials. (look at my sig)

I even tried looking at the Japanese version of the script, with the demo (that's what Poccil edited) but it just doesn't seem to work right... if anyone gets it working, I'd love to know. It's about all that's holding me back in my game right now.

Have you tried searching on Google for a random map script? I'm sure you'll be able to find some code for one.

I've personally tried simply searching many times, with no luck. :( Not for RMXP, anyway.

Last edited:

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
I can't find anything. I'm making this in Game Maker, not RPG Maker so I can't use their scripts.

Meowth, maybe we can work together to figure out something close. I'm trying but I can't get as close as the real games. However, we're using different programs but perhaps we can figure it out. Does RPG Maker support arrays? Because all we need is a 2 dimensional array and change some points the right way and we got it right there.

Gmack

I'm back!
Years
You should be more specific when you're searching google
for that stuff. Like, instead of dungeon generator, you could
search rmxp dungeon generator, or Game Maker dungeon generator.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
You should be more specific when you're searching google
for that stuff. Like, instead of dungeon generator, you could
search rmxp dungeon generator, or Game Maker dungeon generator.
I disagree, the concept of a dungeon generator is universal. Its an idea/procedure. If you can code it in BASIC, you can do it in C++. Language does not matter.

Danno

Years
I disagree, the concept of a dungeon generator is universal. Its an idea/procedure. If you can code it in BASIC, you can do it in C++. Language does not matter.

Not if you have no coding knowledge :/ It DOES make a big difference. I have a large variety of things I know how to do, from spriting to animating to video editing and many things in between, but coding for some people is not an option.

It matters because people like us can't get it working in our own programs, whether it's in GML or RGSS.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
Not if you have no coding knowledge :/ It DOES make a big difference. I have a large variety of things I know how to do, from spriting to animating to video editing and many things in between, but coding for some people is not an option.

It matters because people like us can't get it working in our own programs, whether it's in GML or RGSS.
I personally disagree with that statement... Ruby is so easy, it was meant for artists and game developers (game programmers are different) Scripting languages are for the developers to quickly prototype games and not hard code it in the game engine. Game programmers use C/C++ and sometimes Assembly but now they just use HLSL for shaders. Trust me, that is how it works in the real world, the game developers use scripting languages to change the game scenarios and stuff, the core stuff is for the programmers, which in this case is the Game Maker or RPG Maker.

Bottom line: Learn the language; its not hard nor will you lose talent in art or anything else. You just gain from the experience.

Danno

Years
I personally disagree with that statement... Ruby is so easy, it was meant for artists and game developers (game programmers are different) Scripting languages are for the developers to quickly prototype games and not hard code it in the game engine. Game programmers use C/C++ and sometimes Assembly but now they just use HLSL for shaders. Trust me, that is how it works in the real world, the game developers use scripting languages to change the game scenarios and stuff, the core stuff is for the programmers, which in this case is the Game Maker or RPG Maker.

Bottom line: Learn the language; its not hard nor will you lose talent in art or anything else. You just gain from the experience.

I've been working with RMXP since I was 15, and I'm nearing 20 now. It's old, yet I still can't learn Ruby. I've been working with Game Maker even longer, since I was 12. The thing is, I can't code. I've tried for years, especially while hacking. I can hardly code HTML to save my life. For people like me, coding of any sort doesn't come easily. In fact, it'd probably create MANY more threads just like this, in instances where people who just can't understand the languages can't simply google the answer... they don't know what to look for.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
I've been working with RMXP since I was 15, and I'm nearing 20 now. It's old, yet I still can't learn Ruby. I've been working with Game Maker even longer, since I was 12. The thing is, I can't code. I've tried for years, especially while hacking. I can hardly code HTML to save my life. For people like me, coding of any sort doesn't come easily. In fact, it'd probably create MANY more threads just like this, in instances where people who just can't understand the languages can't simply google the answer... they don't know what to look for.
Oh I agree, there are people that get programming just like that (Me, started using C++ when I was 12 after I got out of the "Game maker phase") Im almost 17 now, I can say I am pretty proficient with it, Not yet advanced, but high intermediate. Personally I do not like taking the easy way out of anything, I learned that the hard way. I been trying to take the easy way out of everything, especially in school, thats not good, I haven't had an A in a class for a long time, all straight Bs... Now this year as a Junior I am aiming for straight A's but its pretty hard for me... LIke right now, Im on the computer while I have tons on HW... FML

Yea I do not like Copy and Pasters AKA Script Kiddies. I personally do not use the code I am copying unless I under stand 100% of it. That is the reason I moved away from Game Maker and moved onto C++.

I have always had the mentality that nothing in life is free. You have to earn it. I believe building from scratch builds character that will benefit you in life.

Danno

Years
We still need the Random Map script to work though for RMXP users :D Haha... really I've had it up for a while in my own thread on the front page for my MD game... but even with looking through the code I can't figure out how to get it to work. If only Poccil would answer about it, the best way to understand a piece of code from my experience is to ask the creator of it... but he never answered my email.

As for Game Maker, it'd be harder to find a "copy paster" version of a random map script for Game maker, because everyone is making their games differently I'd imagine.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
I don't see what you guys are fighting about. After figuring out the basic syntax, you can learn any language easily, it's just figuring out the functions. I know C++ and some OpenGL with it, it's just I don't which functions to use and such. I'm only up to the point in OpenGL where I can only draw simple shapes, and I can't figure out how to load textures. Even if I learned how, I'm still missing experience. Thus, I will be looking for a C++ programming in the future to teach me and help me port some games I make.

When you have experience, you know which functions to use. This is where psuedo code comes in, just to start out programming somewhere. I'm sure many people don't program everything without thinking. They think of psuedo code in their mind and program it out. I'm only asking for mere psuedo code and looking at other types of code is in a way psuedo code.

Anyway, back to the subject, I have started making the dungeon generator on my own so far. I have only 2 rooms made and the game connect and path between them by itself. I think that there are multiple algorithms for each dungeon but I will only figure out the first one, from the first dungeon after debugging some of my functions. I might write a document saying my algorithms if I'm not selfish enough to keep them to myself.

davidthefat

I Love C++
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
I don't see what you guys are fighting about. After figuring out the basic syntax, you can learn any language easily, it's just figuring out the functions. I know C++ and some OpenGL with it, it's just I don't which functions to use and such. I'm only up to the point in OpenGL where I can only draw simple shapes, and I can't figure out how to load textures. Even if I learned how, I'm still missing experience. Thus, I will be looking for a C++ programming in the future to teach me and help me port some games I make.

When you have experience, you know which functions to use. This is where psuedo code comes in, just to start out programming somewhere. I'm sure many people don't program everything without thinking. They think of psuedo code in their mind and program it out. I'm only asking for mere psuedo code and looking at other types of code is in a way psuedo code.

Anyway, back to the subject, I have started making the dungeon generator on my own so far. I have only 2 rooms made and the game connect and path between them by itself. I think that there are multiple algorithms for each dungeon but I will only figure out the first one, from the first dungeon after debugging some of my functions. I might write a document saying my algorithms if I'm not selfish enough to keep them to myself.
Thats what I have been saying the whole time I was part of this community; once you learn to program with one language, you can pick up on other languages easily. Well it is harder to go from Python to C++, but C++ to Python is easy as cake. So is C++ to Java, but the lack of pointers did trip me up abit. But LISP is another beast. I can tell you how to load textures, its not that complex. Personally I have not done far into OpenGL, because I was "too scared" to go farther. Now the only programming I have done in the past year was with robots. So I need to try programming a game sometime soon, but I don'e have time, after football season is another robotics season then after that is track season LOL I got too much stuff to do.

The bottom line, its not the syntax, but the programming that you need to learn. Some people have the programming mind, others don't. I got a 4 on the AP Test which is terrible IMHO. I should have gotten a 5, but as a sophomore taking that test, there were seniors in my grade that got 2s and 1s, which ironic.
Code:
Member *Davidthefat = new Davidthefat();
while(Davidthefat->GetMembershipStatus() == "Not Banned")
{
Davidthefat->Preach("C++");
Davidthefat->Bash("Script Kiddies");
}

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Davidthefat, don't double post - the Edit button is in plain sight and should be used for these kind of things. I would also like it if you stopped posting these diatribes on how everyone should learn to code because it's the professional way it's done. It's just ********. Most of the people on here develop games as a hobby and have little interest in taking the time to learn the intricacies of a programming language just because you keep saying that it's the better way of doing things.

Please just let the coconuts do their jigs, okay?

Back