• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Now the hype has died down, what are your thoughts on USUM?

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
As of this point, a lot of us are already making headlong progress through the game. We're all at different spots - some of us may have already beaten the game and are looking for legendaries (like me for instance), while others have just started and are just catching Pokemon on the first island in the hopes of being carried through the first trial.

A week's passed since the release of USUM, and the hype level has died down a lot in comparison to pre-release, moreso before the games first leaked. With this in mind, what are your thoughts now on this game, in comparison to the pre-release/leak period? I'm personally having a blast, but they could have at least fleshed some areas out a bit more, like Ultra Megalopolis.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I think these are some of the best entries in the series, and I'm not even nearly finished yet.

While I haven't voiced it much here, those who know me personally of have seen me post on Serebii (my name there is Sαpphire) might know that I consider Sun and Moon to have been the best games in the series so far. They had deeper stories than Pokemon has ever had, they had more spirit, and they were more challenging in most instances than any previous title upon first attempt (without the infernal Experience Share, of course). They had (almost) everything I wanted from this series, and then more. They were perfect introductions to the generation.

The point of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, then, should have been to build on that formula, and I think they did that really successfully. These weren't sequels, and going into them expecting them to be to their predecessors what Black 2 and White 2 were to Black and White might have ruined the game for some people; expecting sequels was probably not good. If you walked in expecting them to be the Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum of the generation, then you probably had a really good time.

These games already get faulted a lot for things like "being too same-y," a criticism I can't consider legitimate given what third versions have tended to be. Having played for sixteen years now, and having experienced three generations with third versions (as well as Gen 1 retroactively), this is what I expect out of a good third version. The story runs along the same thread as the originals, until a key moment when it begins to diverge and become its own thing. The new story, when held to the same standard, is about as good. There's more content post-game, this time in the form of Rainbow Rocket and other things, than there was in the previous titles.

In short, these are good, solid examples of typical third versions.

They're not perfect, which is why I might not call these the absolute best in the series. Sun and Moon exceeded expectations in absolutely every way possible; although these have everything those games had and more, these are held to the "third version" standard rather than the standard of entry titles. In the previous several instances of a third version, including the Gen 5 sequels (which I'll discuss more in a minute), we got the very first Battle Tower; we got the Hoenn Battle Frontier, which to this day is one of the most outstanding pieces of the series; we got a radically changed Battle Frontier with new facilities; and then we got the Pokemon World Tournament. That's where these games miss the mark a bit; there's nothing quite comparable to the scope and scale of the additions those games have established as precedent. We have the Battle Agency, but that's just a revival of one facility, and it's somewhat nerfed to try and force social interaction to get better choices. When you're used to 7 facilities, 5 facilities, and then the massive PWT, this falls pretty flat, all things considered. That, I think, is the most glaring issue. We'll see as I near the end whether the rest of the game makes up, though, because ORAS managed to become my favorite games in the series before Sun and Moon were released, despite not including the Frontier.

What we can't do is compare them to Black 2 and White 2. It seems that every time I revisit those games, they get even better in retrospect, but we have to consider the circumstances under which those were made. They were not the fourth set on their system and second on their engine, but rather the fifth on the DS and the fifth to use the core engine that powered those games. They had nearly six years to develop and improve between the release of the first games to use the engine and the release of B2W2. As such, they were by then making sure they fit as much as they possibly could into those games. The concept, too, was entirely unique for the series - they were true sequels, something we hadn't seen before and haven't seen since. As such, the story had to be radically different - every single thing that happened in Black and White was taken as having already happened, while for most other later entries in a generation that stayed in the same region, an alternate version of that story is told - as has happened now.

The reason I bring up B2W2 is because I think that they, in a way, ingrained a lot of unfounded expectations into a large portion of the fanbase. It's clear from the debacle with the Japanese Amazon reviews of USUM that people had expected things to be entirely different. The marketing for these games, however, fits a lot more with what we actually got - the only reason to have expected a radically different story or sequel story is if one is unfamiliar with Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum, or is only familiar with them in retrospect and didn't experience the marketing and lead-up to those games. A lot of people who are fans now, however, seem to have started the series with Gen 5, and that being the last example of staying in the same region again, they expected something closer to that.

For games that were getting a lot of unfounded hate before they were even released, these are stellar entries to the series. They do right much or all of what Sun and Moon did right; they then add more things on top of that, with an expanded pseudo-competitive experience and an expanded post-game. They cover all the bases.

These games seem like they're meant to be the definitive 3DS experience for the series, and maybe the definitive experience for the entire DS line since it started over a decade ago; I think that they achieve those ambitions and set us up well to go into a brand new and potentially radically different phase in the series when Gen 8 debuts in (probably) a year or two. For me, Gen 1 through Gen 3 was Part 1 of this series; Gen 4 through these games has been Part 2, and they're a fitting final chapter for it as a new dawn on the Switch is on the horizon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
My perspective is that of a guy who hasn't played any entries since Alpha Sapphire, and before that my last Pokemon game was Platinum.

I really like what they've done with the game. There is SO MUCH to do, so much content. From increasing affection, to changing clothing styles, to good ol' grinding and catching Pokemon, there is so much more to do in these games.

The hours simply fly by because it is so easy to get immersed into the world. The only downside is that, like a lot of Pokemon games, the grinding and catching does get repetitive. It is easy to break the mundane cycle by exploring some of the newer features...

If I were to give this game an objective rating as a standalone RPG, I would say it's a solid 8.5 out of 10.

I have yet to explore online battling and trading options, so maybe that will change my opinion.

Years
I didn't think it last year, but I really think these were the games Sun and Moon were intended to be. I could picture a sequel with the RR storyline being added in (Lusamine recovers from her Nihiligo poisoning a year or two after SuMo and returns to Aether while Faba schemes behind her back).

But regardless, I still love the game. I love all of the little sidequests that you can do, and even though I've finished even the RR episode I don't think I've found them all! I like that we get more lore into Alola and I love the idea of the bosses actually winning in their respective regions. How cool would it be to have a Pokemon game like that? Where the Final Boss has already conquered the region in question and the player has to stop them. Or maybe they make a return in the post-game or something instead of them disappearing/being taken care of before the last gym/Pokemon League?

I feel like I zipped through the game in no time flat, but that's only because of how excited I was to get it and play through this massive story and not because there wasn't much to do, which I found to the problem that XY had. I zipped through those games and at the end I was like "Really?" but with USUM I sat back and heaved a sigh of relief. To me, this was more than just a "third version" like Platinum or Emerald. This was something much better, and I hope that, if we continue to get third versions in the future (not sequels, but third versions), that this is the route they take. The Episodes in the post-game are fantastic.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I just bought it and while I haven't played it yet (I want to play my normal SM playthrough slightly more before I start the new installment), I have a feeling that this game is gonna be awesome.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
I love it! The game is an improvement of the originals in my opinion. Not only is there so much to do, from side quests, to the main story, the characters still really feel like your friends. I loved Lillie, Lusamine and Hau, and the other characters were great too. The ending of the game brought a tear to my eye, that's how much I enjoyed it. It's less changed than the unova sequels, but more changed than other third versions like Emerald and Platinum. I feel like a lot of people, including people who loved other third versions, judge the game very unfairly.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I've only just finished Lana's trial, but I'll add in my two cents:
-My biggest disappointment is that your pokemon don't follow you. I know GF never said they would, so it's on me for believing random predictions and rumors, but I'm sad whenever I see how good Hau's starter looks chillin next to him.
- Some of the aesthetic changes are very nice. I don't remember the night sky of Alola looking this good when I played Sun (?) and I appreciate the ORAS-style random wild pokemon walking or flying around, which add to the realism.
- I had expected some of the extra features of be gimmicky, but I'm actually having a lot of fun mantine surfing, and I also swapped my regular alolan raticate for the totem one and it's so hilarious to me how big he is, especially in Pokemon Refresh.
- The surf beach music is amazing. Seriously.
-I feel like these games are harder than their predecessors. I had a harder time beating Hala than in Sun, and the totem Araquanid (which looks cooler and more menacing than Wishiwashi school form, which was already cool and menacing). I've had hard times beating the elite four in yellow and in White, as well as beating Red in Gold (that level curve...), but never have I had to use revives so early in the game to avoid a wipeout. And that's with the exp share (to be fair, I chose my team around pokemon I liked and hadn't used in Sun rather than on any tactical criteria).
- I appreciate that these are "third" versions (only one I've played other than Yellow) so I understand they're so similar to SM, but I do feel like in the age of DLC, and with the last third version being released 10 years ago, it feels a little bit like Sun and Moon players were cheated. I'm avoiding storyline spoilers (since new pokemon spoilers were unavoidable), but I'm hoping it ends up being different enough (not including the obviously way superior postgame) to not feel bad about my Sun game

Last edited:

Desox

This account is inactive.
Years
It really feels like an improvement to me. I really enjoyed Moon, but Ultra Sun feels way better. Not only there's added content, but as said before the difficulty is improved. Moon felt like a straight walk in the park for me, it felt too linear, and the only trouble I had was against Kukui because of forgetting to heal before.

I also feel like I want to replay it now. I tried to replay Moon before, but it simply felt like a chore for me, because of yes, the cutscenes.

All in all, even though I liked them more, I feel like they should have waited one more year and just released USUM. I also would have preferred, seeing as they were not sequels but 'definitives', that they didn't split them in two.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Started off not really liking it because of the similarities but I grew into the game in the latter half as the game progresses.

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
I really like this game and don't get the hate.

It gave more depth to the characters introduced in Sun and Moon and while yeah game CAN feel bit repetitive but they have changed things up enough for me to be able to enjoy it.
I like comparing and contrasting different versions of the characters and different events.
And I like how it has even bigger change compared to Emerald and Plt

Lack of battle facility outside of Battle Tree and Battle agency sucks though...
And lack of new Alolan forms.

and people complaining about added difficulty...
THERE IS NO PLEASING THEM!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Having completed the game and currently finishing up the last of the post game stuff, I will say that the game on it's own is good. It does not deserve one star ratings. I've played one star games and this is clearly not one of them. If you've never played Sun and Moon, you can pick this version up because it's clearly better and fixes minor issues that made Sun and Moon worse. These games practically make them redundant. But that's a problem for me, the many minors issues were fixed, but the major ones weren't. I could clearly notice that there were cut corners in this game. Some of them, I can excuse, but some I can't.

THE GOOD:

-Starter Pokemon don't take an hour to get anymore.

-This game is difficult. I had a balanced team and I still got my butt kicked multiple times. I was overleved and I had affection clause by the end of the first island and I still struggled.

-Alola definitely looks more vibrant and the feel is great. There is a better use of color for the environments and the UI helps this immensely.

-The new music( whenever you hear it) is amazing and deserves praise

-Excellent content with plenty of sidequests (I actually needed a checklist for the amount of side quests to do) and a great Post-Game

-Ultra Wormhole Diving and Mantine Surfing are amazing features and are worth this game alone.

-The Alolan Photo Club feature is very fun to use, especially with friends.

The BAD:

-Very little remixed music- Rainbow Rocket music is great, but other than that there are barely any themes remixed. I know if it isn't broke, don't fix it, but I expected more (This is relatively minor, but I really like this generations soundtrack).

-Starter Pokemon don't take a half an hour to get anymore, but they still force feed tutorial down your throat. ( And don't tell me it's for new players either. Anyone can catch a pokemon. My little brother was a half an hour in and just wanted to catch a Pokemon and he asked why the tutorial took so long. If a little kid is asking that, you know, your TARGET AUDIENCE, there's a problem). The fact they not only feed you these tutorials not only ONCE, but TWICE makes me so upset because all they have to do is literally put a skip option for this. It always feels that on Melemele, you can't move two feet without someone telling you how to do something you already know how to do.

-There are story changes....but those changes seldom appear until 3/4th of the way in and even then, it's great but so short. They changed bits of the story around and it helps for some people (like Guzma and Hau), but for others it screws them over. On this note, I can definitely understand why Japanese fans were upset, you have to essentially play through SM with minor changes to the story all over again and that blows. I know third versions usually don't have too many changes to the story, but even then, I feel they could've done a bit more. If you didn't like the story, you probably won't be impressed here.

THE UGLY:

-Ultra Megalopolis is the definition of false advertising if I ever saw it. It is literally a passageway and that's it. WOW. What a letdown! You can't learn anything about the Ultra Recon Squad in their OWN world? What kind of nonsense is this? Why create a new area with nothing to do in it? What??! And this only exemplifies the problems that Sun and Moon had. The fact that the game is already so damn linear and that it seems like Gamefreak is terrified that you're going to get lost or something makes this feel more like a cop out.

-Lillie's Story is shafted in this game and it suuuucccckkssss. They somehow made us go through the same story with her, but made it worse. Crucial development scenes like confronting her mother and the Exeguttor Island scene are completely cut out, meaning her story doesn't feel complete. I admit I was happy she's a trainer, but it came at the expense of her character which pisses me off. I understand not liking her, fine. But they didn't need to butcher part of her story for it. Hell, you don't even have to confront Nebby. It's completely optional. WTF? Why is the legendary Pokemon sidelined like this when it is LITERALLY PART OF LILLIE'S CHARACTER?! I get she's not leaving, but come on!

-The encounter rate for the new Pokemon is still complete garbage. It took me an hour to find an Alolan Pichu. The Pokemon that are native to the region should NOT have a 5% encounter rate. They should be the most common and everything else( like in the other games) should be rarer.

Overall: A very solid game, but far from perfect. If you really love SM, pick this up. If you didn't love SM, you probably won't like this as much, but it's superior in almost every way.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
Having completed the game and currently finishing up the last of the post game stuff, I will say that the game on it's own is good. It does not deserve one star ratings. I've played one star games and this is clearly not one of them. If you've never played Sun and Moon, you can pick this version up because it's clearly better and fixes minor issues that made Sun and Moon worse. These games practically make them redundant. But that's a problem for me, the many minors issues were fixed, but the major ones weren't. I could clearly notice that there were cut corners in this game. Some of them, I can excuse, but some I can't.

THE GOOD:

-Starter Pokemon don't take an hour to get anymore.

-This game is difficult. I had a balanced team and I still got my butt kicked multiple times. I was overleved and I had affection clause by the end of the first island and I still struggled.

-Alola definitely looks more vibrant and the feel is great. There is a better use of color for the environments and the UI helps this immensely.

-The new music( whenever you hear it) is amazing and deserves praise

-Excellent content with plenty of sidequests (I actually needed a checklist for the amount of side quests to do) and a great Post-Game

-Ultra Wormhole Diving and Mantine Surfing are amazing features and are worth this game alone.

-The Alolan Photo Club feature is very fun to use, especially with friends.

The BAD:

-Very little remixed music- Rainbow Rocket music is great, but other than that there are barely any themes remixed. I know if it isn't broke, don't fix it, but I expected more (This is relatively minor, but I really like this generations soundtrack).

-Starter Pokemon don't take a half an hour to get anymore, but they still force feed tutorial down your throat. ( And don't tell me it's for new players either. Anyone can catch a pokemon. My little brother was a half an hour in and just wanted to catch a Pokemon and he asked why the tutorial took so long. If a little kid is asking that, you know, your TARGET AUDIENCE, there's a problem). The fact they not only feed you these tutorials not only ONCE, but TWICE makes me so upset because all they have to do is literally put a skip option for this. It always feels that on Melemele, you can't move two feet without someone telling you how to do something you already know how to do.

-There are story changes....but those changes seldom appear until 3/4th of the way in and even then, it's great but so short. They changed bits of the story around and it helps for some people (like Guzma and Hau), but for others it screws them over. On this note, I can definitely understand why Japanese fans were upset, you have to essentially play through SM with minor changes to the story all over again and that blows. I know third versions usually don't have too many changes to the story, but even then, I feel they could've done a bit more. If you didn't like the story, you probably won't be impressed here.

THE UGLY:

-Ultra Megalopolis is the definition of false advertising if I ever saw it. It is literally a passageway and that's it. WOW. What a letdown! You can't learn anything about the Ultra Recon Squad in their OWN world? What kind of nonsense is this? Why create a new area with nothing to do in it? What??! And this only exemplifies the problems that Sun and Moon had. The fact that the game is already so damn linear and that it seems like Gamefreak is terrified that you're going to get lost or something makes this feel more like a cop out.

-Lillie's Story is shafted in this game and it suuuucccckkssss. They somehow made us go through the same story with her, but made it worse. Crucial development scenes like confronting her mother and the Exeguttor Island scene are completely cut out, meaning her story doesn't feel complete. I admit I was happy she's a trainer, but it came at the expense of her character which pisses me off. I understand not liking her, fine. But they didn't need to butcher part of her story for it. Hell, you don't even have to confront Nebby. It's completely optional. WTF? Why is the legendary Pokemon sidelined like this when it is LITERALLY PART OF LILLIE'S CHARACTER?! I get she's not leaving, but come on!

-The encounter rate for the new Pokemon is still complete garbage. It took me an hour to find an Alolan Pichu. The Pokemon that are native to the region should NOT have a 5% encounter rate. They should be the most common and everything else( like in the other games) should be rarer.

Overall: A very solid game, but far from perfect. If you really love SM, pick this up. If you didn't love SM, you probably won't like this as much, but it's superior in almost every way.

wait... they had new Alolan forms? how come my game didn't have this "alolan pichu" and only had alolan raichu?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
wait... they had new Alolan forms? how come my game didn't have this "alolan pichu" and only had alolan raichu?

NO no no. My bad. It's still a normal pichu that evolve into Alolan Raichu. I just said Alolan Pichu to show the difference. Sorry about the confusion!

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Pros:
Good improved story. Great post game with improved Team Rocket. Necrozma getting attention. Most characters i liked. Battle Agency seems nice. Mantine Surf was tricky at first but i am starting to get the hang of it and was enjoyable.

Cons:
Lillie still does nothing and is still a character that will never be loved. Game getting harder is something i am not a fan of. Gladion going to Kanto - i rather he go to Sinnoh which is superior to Kanto.

The majority of USUM is good. 9/10 at best. B2W2 still remains my favorite and the best of the series though.

Last edited:

DarkPokeball1985

When The Moon Eclipse The Sun
Years
The hype won't die down with me anytime soon because the original Pokemon Sun and Moon was actually my very first Pokemon game in literally 19 years. I only returned to the franchise this past August and what an adventure it was well is. So for me to be able to transition to an upgraded version of Sun and Moon which I never experienced before the hype went up and stayed there! It was and still is an experience that I never had before and I'm having so much fun with. Back in the old days before the 19 year long hiatus Mewtwo became a fan favorite and with me eventually being able to capture him in Ultra Moon is only giving more hype to look forward too as a throwback to the mild experience I had in the past!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Now that I've finished Sun and almost finished Moon... what are my thoughts?
I'll organize them in three neat lists, with five items each: what I liked, what I didn't like, and things I consider to be missed opportunities.

I put them in a spoiler tag, just in case. Because there are spoilers ^^.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Pure Essence

Reverb, Resound, and Repeat!
Years
To me, it's just different enough where it doesn't feel like the same old adventure. The new trials are refreshing and fun. Incineroar still is the best starter, and the new ride Pokemon is amazing. I even used the Alola Photo Club. Though did the tunnel need to become it's own area, instead of something like the Ultra Spaces for the new UBs?

Back