• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokémon Ruby with Physical/Special Split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Thanks to Darthatron who made this post, I was able to find the corresponding bytes in Ruby with some careful searching & comparing & testing.

So anyways:
53574681.png
38011011.png

Flareon did rather high damage for Dodrio being 7 levels ahead...

91412184.png
98219874.png

"BUT WTF? DARK TYPE MOVES ARE SPECIAL!!!1!!11 TAIL WHIP SHOULD HAVE DONE NOTHING!!!" (for the record I did 2 Tail Whips lol)

65016284.png
98256544.png

As you can see, Bite was special in Gen III, so Tail Whip and Dragon Dance would have had no effect on it, but that is no longer the case here, as we now have the physical/special split.

I haven't tested every move, but I assigned each move physical/special/status according to Veekun's movedex. So post any glitches you find, hopefully there aren't any.

Q: "Why is the font different?"
A: Sorry, I can't stand the Ruby/Sapphire font, so a long time ago I made a patch for Ruby, the only thing it does is change the font to the Emerald font. I base all of my Ruby rom hacking stuff on that font patch, hence why my 493 Project also has the Emerald font.

And as of this patch, we now have a physical/special split for Ruby, FireRed, and Emerald, w000! (well there isn't an actual patch for Emerald, but Darthatron already explained how XD)

EDIT: Removed due to a serious glitch it causes to the battle system

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
Q: "Why is the font different?"
A: Sorry, I can't stand the Ruby/Sapphire font, so a long time ago I made a patch for Ruby, the only thing it does is change the font to the Emerald font. I base all of my Ruby rom hacking stuff on that font patch, hence why my 493 Project also has the Emerald font.

Hey I know this is off topic, but where is the offset for the font table? (I want to get rid of any need for Emerald, it's WAAAY too complicated...I only want two things anyways)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
really cool! its my dream to have a hacks with special/phsycical split! is it done on every single move?
Yes, every move has been categorized. I'm also currently working on a patch that has a select 129 extra moves from Gen IV and V.

Years
umm.... when im trying to open it, it say, "This is not an IPS file!", am i using the wrong lunar ips patcher? or what?

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
Very impressive. I've been looking forward to this for a very, very long time. Here, have an internet (I have a few spare).

"Chaos Rush obtained the Internet!"
*do-do-dle-loo do do do doooo!*

Now all I need are Gen IV Pokemon and my hack will be wonderful...
once I start it...

Incidentally, what are the ramifications of making a IV generation MOVE function in gen III? What must the move do or not do for it to be "compatible?"

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2012
ok i kno u shouldnt patch a rom file more than once, but can i patch this to another hack that im playing like Light Platinum???

also does this work for the other GBA games, Sapphire Emerald LG & FR???

lastly; r u aware of any hacks currently, or planning on, using this???

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
ok i kno u shouldnt patch a rom file more than once, but can i patch this to another hack that im playing like Light Platinum???
Yes and no. My patch does not use any free space (yet). But it includes my unreleased font patch. So, in theory, it would work fine with hacks that have the font unchanged. But with hacks that have the font changed, such as Light Platinum, it would make the font look glitchy, but it shouldn't be hard to fix, as you would just go to the font offset in TileMolester and copy+paste from either my patch (which uses Emerald font) or a clean Ruby rom.

also does this work for the other GBA games, Sapphire Emerald LG & FR???

lastly; r u aware of any hacks currently, or planning on, using this???
1. No
2. No

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2020
Something happened to my berries. EV lowering berries like Pinap and Kelpsy just say to plant them in soils to grow new ones instead of the usual makes friendly but lowers HP or attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back