• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White Feedback / Discussion Thread

Do we drop weekly polls or not?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm still fairly new, and these weekly polls form an interesting activity. It gives a great way to see if other people think like you do when comparing different Pokémon, and there are a gajollion possible pairings. What about turning it into a sort of favouratism competition? Have a bracket of 32 (64?) and pit them against each other every week, there's 31 (63) weekly polls, and boom, we have a favourite.

Cyclone

Unfortunately that's what we were kinda planning to do and... yeah people are sick of Pokemon. XD; I guess we could always make it more competitive though, if I understood you correctly.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Unfortunately that's what we were kinda planning to do and... yeah people are sick of Pokemon. XD; I guess we could always make it more competitive though, if I understood you correctly.
You did. Battle down to find the PC coimmunity's favourite (sorry, I'm Canadian) Pokémon. :)

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay guys, update to what we're going to do. After the extended idea Cyclone PMed me I just okay'd it with Kaori and she's fine so...

We'll be having a "WHO WOULD WIN" gym leader thing from next week onwards - so that means for a month. In this month we'll want YOUR help. We're having a tournament of favourites versus favourites. Users submit their 10 favourite Unova Pokemon. You can PM Kaori and I them. After we get around 20 or so submissions if we can get that, then we pit them together at random for the next few weeks in a tournament thing like we originally hoped weekly polls will be. This'll however be shorter and more user orientated. At the end there will be a style of the user-chosen favourite like we intended with weekly polls. However, while we've got that stuff on, we've still got to do a bit more!

So what I was thinking was we just have non-sticky debate threads and each week the member can decide what can be the debate and we could get a little prefix and all for that. While Kaori and I wouldn't be doing it, it'd be up to the member that has that week nominated etc with their debate. Or maybe without a prefix and we could just have something like [DEBATE] on it idk. But yeah, thoughs & any other ideas guys?

Years
Even though I don't post here super often... (not sure why since I love black and white)

I think the gym leader thing is a great idea! Sounds fun and more intense. I also really like the idea of a debate, since I love debating as well. I'd definitely join in as soon as that starts up. As for more ideas... perhaps instead of a weekly pokemon poll, what about a just a weekly black and white poll? For instance... your favorite town/city or your favorite new game mechanic (c-gear, dream world, random matchup) etc.

Perhaps a weekly or biweekly theory discussion? (I know this kinda wanted to be avoided in case black 2/white 2 spoiled things or answered said theory)
Like who was Alder's partner? Why did team plasma create genesect? What were the abyssal ruins? :D

Years
I've gotta admit, the reason I don't tend to post in these forums anymore is that I've already discussed the majority of what I have to say before when I used to post here. It seems to be the same topics coming up again and again, just in different forms. :3 Whilst that's not necessarily a bad thing, it just doesn't appeal to me personally. I know this isn't incredibly helpful in finding a solution, but if someone can think of a way to generate new and original topics rather than constant revival of the old ones, then I'd be much more inclined to post here. What I would say though is that Nica, your topics are great, things like "Do you regret putting time and effort into B/W?" and "Do you think your character was right in taking a stand against Ghetsis?" are very interesting to read & reply to (in fact I'll go do that now!), so if you can spark those kind of topics into the the rest of the section, I think it'd help a lot. I guess discussing things like particular story points, characters, teams that NPCs used in game, where & why Pokemon appear in certain places, etc, would be the kind of things I'd like to discuss. Incidentally I don't know why I haven't made some of these topics yet so I may just do that later. :p

As for the weekly polls and the threads discussing Pokémon, I actually love these. I really enjoy discussing Pokémon like that :3 The only thing I wonder is if they're still relevant to BW as opposed to say BW2 or Pokémon Voting Polls? Although they've worked well here for a long time so if it's not broke, don't fix it. :p

Just...what Ozzy said. I agree to everything he said, couldn't have said it better myself, including liking ur thread ideas and enjoying the polls. I know all the polls might seem frivilous (Oh god I spelt that wrong didn`t I) but they are short little bundles of fun that give ppl something to look forward to every week...NO it could even be a month. You have come up with good ideas and I trust you will come up with more, but I see no reason to rephrase what ozzy said (especially when typing with the onscreen wii keyboard) because it was almost as if he posted with me in mind

Hope u are taking notes Nica!

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay put up announcement for the future things, hopefully people check this thread out and input stuff. :3

Just...what Ozzy said. I agree to everything he said, couldn't have said it better myself, including liking ur thread ideas and enjoying the polls. I know all the polls might seem frivilous (Oh god I spelt that wrong didn`t I) but they are short little bundles of fun that give ppl something to look forward to every week...NO it could even be a month. You have come up with good ideas and I trust you will come up with more, but I see no reason to rephrase what ozzy said (especially when typing with the onscreen wii keyboard) because it was almost as if he posted with me in mind

Hope u are taking notes Nica!

Yeah I am taking notes n_n

Even though I don't post here super often... (not sure why since I love black and white)

I think the gym leader thing is a great idea! Sounds fun and more intense. I also really like the idea of a debate, since I love debating as well. I'd definitely join in as soon as that starts up. As for more ideas... perhaps instead of a weekly pokemon poll, what about a just a weekly black and white poll? For instance... your favorite town/city or your favorite new game mechanic (c-gear, dream world, random matchup) etc.

Perhaps a weekly or biweekly theory discussion? (I know this kinda wanted to be avoided in case black 2/white 2 spoiled things or answered said theory)
Like who was Alder's partner? Why did team plasma create genesect? What were the abyssal ruins? :D

You totally should tbh. Everybody should love B/W, in fact!

Yeah we're considering that later on going back to the original type polls, which is like that.

Yeah that'd be fun, but idk, we'd have to analyse B2W2 pretty carefully before starting something. Perhaps before a theory or something I could just get B2W2 mods to look over the idea and lemme know if the games have it covered. :3

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Okay guys, update to what we're going to do. After the extended idea Cyclone PMed me I just okay'd it with Kaori and she's fine so...

We'll be having a "WHO WOULD WIN" gym leader thing from next week onwards - so that means for a month. In this month we'll want YOUR help. We're having a tournament of favourites versus favourites. Users submit their 10 favourite Unova Pokemon. You can PM Kaori and I them. After we get around 20 or so submissions if we can get that, then we pit them together at random for the next few weeks in a tournament thing like we originally hoped weekly polls will be. This'll however be shorter and more user orientated.
I'm even willing to handle them myself if you'd like. Just make it possible for me to sticky the thread without being a mod. (if that can even be done; if not, I can post on a mod's wall when the poll is up, and I also have MSN), and I've got everything I need to run it. I already know exactly what I'm looking for here; I would just need everyone's favourites to seed the brackets and the rest is automatic and can be handled by anyone if I didn't have the next one up due to being unavailable at that moment (though I would try to be a day early in those instances). :)

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm even willing to handle them myself if you'd like. Just make it possible for me to sticky the thread without being a mod. (if that can even be done; if not, I can post on a mod's wall when the poll is up, and I also have MSN), and I've got everything I need to run it. I already know exactly what I'm looking for here; I would just need everyone's favourites to seed the brackets and the rest is automatic and can be handled by anyone if I didn't have the next one up due to being unavailable at that moment (though I would try to be a day early in those instances). :)

Cyclone

I think it'd probably be better if Kaori & I did it. From what you've explained I get the general idea and I can easily put it together without issues and Kaori and I can post them each week. I mean it's nothing against you, it's just easier if we handle it and you're still kind of new and all - feel free to come up with/make any debate ideas, though, since I'm aiming for one of those "type" of threads that I'll try to make into debates every two weeks.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm aware I'm double posting but it's for a reason plus it's official, so it's okay just don't follow my example guys!

Okay so, we've recieved only about 10 or so PMs about the favourite Pokemon weekly polls, and with gym leader weekly polls ending this week... that's kinda not enough to really do anything. I'm thinking it's probably best to put them off until later (and I need to forward the others to Kaori) - but for now we need something else. Now the time has come: either we drop weekly polls, or switch them up to every tiny aspect until there's nothing at all to discuss in the main forum. I'm thinking of dropping them for now and bringing in the favourites MUCH later, maybe after B2W2 rush dies down and people care about Unova Pokemon again yeah we'll use B2W2's success to help us, so skilled totally.

I haven't yet discussed it with Kaori either as to what we can do (because I only just thought of how quickly Sunday is approaching and she's currently at school) so she can contribute too.

So guys, do we now drop weekly polls or not?

I'll create a poll too for a short period to see what you guys think there too, if you have nothing to contribute to the thread!

Also on general activity, how do you guys feel about it in the last month or so, do you think it's improving? Do you think it could be better? How could it be better? Are you doing all you guys can do to help it out? Are you creating and encouraging discussion? If not and you like this section, then maybe you should try! n_n

Now thoughts, gogogo!

Years
I said No.

It could be more interesting to do one thread with all the gym champions. And asking to put in order we think they will win if they have a battle.

So, The people could put the champions in the order they think they are strongest... and discuss about it.

The poll are very good to start (I don't know if 'launch' would be correct here) a thread.

The problem with a poll between 2 champions is that we finish quickly to speak about it. Ex : Electric VS Fly. (I don't know English name. So, I speak about type). Electric will win because the level difference between the 2 gym champion is not too high. So, Electric have 2 emolga with "quick return" => so they bite and they go to change with an other pokémon... Electric is higher type than Fly. And the last pokemon of Fly is a Fly and Water type).

>>> you can see I resume the problem and the situation in about 2 lines. There's nothing else to say to another people.

In other hand, if I gave the order what I'm thinking the champions are better : All people will have it's own idea about this and could talk about it.

There is also a possibility to make a poll like which type do you prefer ? ... There are most possibiliy if the poll contain more choices.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I said No.

It could be more interesting to do one thread with all the gym champions. And asking to put in order we think they will win if they have a battle.

So, The people could put the champions in the order they think they are strongest... and discuss about it.

The poll are very good to start (I don't know if 'launch' would be correct here) a thread.

The problem with a poll between 2 champions is that we finish quickly to speak about it. Ex : Electric VS Fly. (I don't know English name. So, I speak about type). Electric will win because the level difference between the 2 gym champion is not too high. So, Electric have 2 emolga with "quick return" => so they bite and they go to change with an other pokémon... Electric is higher type than Fly. And the last pokemon of Fly is a Fly and Water type).

>>> you can see I resume the problem and the situation in about 2 lines. There's nothing else to say to another people.

In other hand, if I gave the order what I'm thinking the champions are better : All people will have it's own idea about this and could talk about it.

There is also a possibility to make a poll like which type do you prefer ? ... There are most possibiliy if the poll contain more choices.

Well I think that might work better as a general discussion thread because it isn't an on-going poll type thing. But that'd definitely work, just maybe not as a poll, if that makes sense. Sinceee you can't really ask that question every week.

As for the type, that'd be something better fit for Pokemon Voting Polls since types are something that can apply to all the games. HOWEVER, that does give me a thread idea!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
The polls work sort of, the main problem is, that once posting there, very few members actually look back to see if anyone responded to what they had to say. Maybe a controversial poll rather than a ... vs ... might spark more activity or maybe let a little discussion in from the anime, CBC or manga in relation to the topics (but keep it mainly b/w). You could always do N vs Ghetsis or the subway bosses against one another.

Years
I think the problem, is that we aren't automatically warn when somebody else respond.

I forget to add the thread as a following thread... and so, I must think about this thread again. As I forget to add, I forget to check. ;)

Good Luck for you Thread Idea...

Years
Now the time has come: either we drop weekly polls, or switch them up to every tiny aspect until there's nothing at all to discuss in the main forum.

Also on general activity, how do you guys feel about it in the last month or so, do you think it's improving? Do you think it could be better? How could it be better? Are you doing all you guys can do to help it out? Are you creating and encouraging discussion? If not and you like this section, then maybe you should try! n_n

Now thoughts, gogogo!

The reason I didn't vote in the poll was because the choice I wanted wasn't there. I don't want to eliminate the polls, but I don't like the idea of having them exhaust every possible topic, as well, then there isn't much of a forum. As of right now, I think they're rather successful, enough people comment and vote on them each week. Only when they're getting very few to no responses should they go. Why couldn't we have a few: Unova vs other pokemon polls? (like roggenrola/boldore/gigalith vs geodude/graveler/golem) That could be pretty interesting, especially once the obvious ones are out of the way (so then you would get into jellicent vs tentacruel, seismetoad vs quagsire vs gastrodon etc.)
I understand this might cause a bit of a clash with perhaps Pokemon General, but it involves Unova/Unovian pokemon, and it's bound to get a good conversation started?!

As for activity... I think it was improving a lot, then sloped off for a little and now seems to be back on track (though that's how the entire forum was to me recently) I wonder if there could be some kind of an event while we're waiting for more people to submit their favorites? Perhaps we could have a song re-writing thing (where people who sign up are assigned a pokemon to "sing" about) as a tribute to the musicals? :D

Also, I think we should have another debate as the last one was fun, but that was like a month ago. ;)

droomph

weeb
Years
How about not a "poll"? That makes it so that it seems like a Q&A rather than a discussion. I think we should drop the "polls" and give a sort of a "Thread of the Week" sticky. That way, Requility and Kaori threads aren't exactly prominent (as in you actually have to look at the thread maker to tell who made it rather than scanning for Poll of the Week threads) and it will look more natural than the PotW stuff.

Just my two cents, don't mind me if I'm wrong about something :P

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
To be frank, it's a single announcement at the top of the forum, meaning many are not seeing it. If I didn't know about it already, I would have missed it.

With that said, I'm still somewhat new. I haven't seen a lot of polls myself. So it's a nice thing for me. The concern is a lot of older members who might have seen everything.

If anything, maybe a brief break from them, then we can try the idea in the future but with more promotion beforehand, thus increasing exposure. Kind of like an Olympic tournament; everyone knows about the Olympics.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The polls work sort of, the main problem is, that once posting there, very few members actually look back to see if anyone responded to what they had to say. Maybe a controversial poll rather than a ... vs ... might spark more activity or maybe let a little discussion in from the anime, CBC or manga in relation to the topics (but keep it mainly b/w). You could always do N vs Ghetsis or the subway bosses against one another.
Yeah nah we can't really have any borderline discussion because we... can't discuss it at all without branching into something else.

Snivy for example would be like... "How well was Snivy represented in the games did it change your ingame opinion of it?" would fit in PA because it's primarily anime.

I don't have an issue with it being competitive though because some threads do turn into competitive anyway and as long as it isn't completely fit for CBC it's find here. Like strategies for the BW meta game fits in CBC but strategies in subway fits here because CBC doesn't have that plus team rating fits only in ingame.

As for manga... it's kind of dead and I think it'd be best fit to stay in manga. XD;

I love the idea of N vs Ghetsis though :3
I think the problem, is that we aren't automatically warn when somebody else respond.

I forget to add the thread as a following thread... and so, I must think about this thread again. As I forget to add, I forget to check. ;)

Good Luck for you Thread Idea...

Yeah maybe I should suggest to everyone to subscribe to each thread or I can PM you guys whenever someone replies to your post.

The reason I didn't vote in the poll was because the choice I wanted wasn't there. I don't want to eliminate the polls, but I don't like the idea of having them exhaust every possible topic, as well, then there isn't much of a forum. As of right now, I think they're rather successful, enough people comment and vote on them each week. Only when they're getting very few to no responses should they go. Why couldn't we have a few: Unova vs other pokemon polls? (like roggenrola/boldore/gigalith vs geodude/graveler/golem) That could be pretty interesting, especially once the obvious ones are out of the way (so then you would get into jellicent vs tentacruel, seismetoad vs quagsire vs gastrodon etc.)
I understand this might cause a bit of a clash with perhaps Pokemon General, but it involves Unova/Unovian pokemon, and it's bound to get a good conversation started?!

As for activity... I think it was improving a lot, then sloped off for a little and now seems to be back on track (though that's how the entire forum was to me recently) I wonder if there could be some kind of an event while we're waiting for more people to submit their favorites? Perhaps we could have a song re-writing thing (where people who sign up are assigned a pokemon to "sing" about) as a tribute to the musicals? :D

Also, I think we should have another debate as the last one was fun, but that was like a month ago. ;)

Hmm yeah Pokemon General stuff won't work here :( unless it's like BW designs are unoriginal compared to them which is already happening but as for polls it'd fit into PGen.

Events maybe idk I'll consider them but not sure if it'd get much of a turnout.

How about not a "poll"? That makes it so that it seems like a Q&A rather than a discussion. I think we should drop the "polls" and give a sort of a "Thread of the Week" sticky. That way, Requility and Kaori threads aren't exactly prominent (as in you actually have to look at the thread maker to tell who made it rather than scanning for Poll of the Week threads) and it will look more natural than the PotW stuff.

Just my two cents, don't mind me if I'm wrong about something :P

I actually agree and it'd be nice if we got member support for... not that! But yeah thread of the week would work much better imo but it just depends on what the majority prefers.

To be frank, it's a single announcement at the top of the forum, meaning many are not seeing it. If I didn't know about it already, I would have missed it.

With that said, I'm still somewhat new. I haven't seen a lot of polls myself. So it's a nice thing for me. The concern is a lot of older members who might have seen everything.

If anything, maybe a brief break from them, then we can try the idea in the future but with more promotion beforehand, thus increasing exposure. Kind of like an Olympic tournament; everyone knows about the Olympics.

Cyclone

Yeaaahhh, don't think it's worth a notice though unless it's a BW-specific one maybe.

And as for the new factor - I've been here since the start and I've been modding it since two months and a half after it was made and I still find new stuff :3

But yeah I'd agree with giving it more attention and a build-up really.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Oh, that's a pity to drop the poll. They were great, and many member enjoyed to answer to them. Tbh I think that there should also be weekly polls for the other gens, and not only the 5th one, the concept being very interesting, seeing what other people think and so on. The BW part will really miss these threads. They were active, I see no reason to abandon them.
And, I don't see a way to improve them ... A poll remains a poll. Maybe you should give more criterions to judge them? I mean, the members would judge whose design's the best, whose strenght's the best and so on and then give a general opinion about them. At the end of the week, we have the results of each criterium. I guess that'd be interesting to see which Pokémon is prefered and for which reason. Or something a little like that.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh, that's a pity to drop the poll. They were great, and many member enjoyed to answer to them. Tbh I think that there should also be weekly polls for the other gens, and not only the 5th one, the concept being very interesting, seeing what other people think and so on. The BW part will really miss these threads. They were active, I see no reason to abandon them.
And, I don't see a way to improve them ... A poll remains a poll. Maybe you should give more criterions to judge them? I mean, the members would judge whose design's the best, whose strenght's the best and so on and then give a general opinion about them. At the end of the week, we have the results of each criterium. I guess that'd be interesting to see which Pokémon is prefered and for which reason. Or something a little like that.

No, the polls aren't quite dropped yet, just on break til we all figure out what we're doing with them. XD; Yeah, and other gens would fit into the other forums unfortunately. :(

That idea might get a little tiring, though. While it'd work in theory, people generally stated all their thoughts in the weekly polls we used to have. Sooo I'm not sure how you'd really put that all together.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I'm finding it hard to post in B/W recently because all the threads are just remakes of previous successful threads that I posted in a while ago. I'd rather the old threads to be reopened rather than have new made tbh, but I know that isn't how things run in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back