• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] GUI redesigns

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
It's in no way essential to have a floaty-cam battle scene, and indeed it would make several things harder for the user (such as needing to dictate how the camera moves during an attack, and making the animations for those attacks). I also don't like it because pixels.

No, it's not happening.

EDIT: In other news, how does this storage screen look?

Last edited:

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
It's in no way essential to have a floaty-cam battle scene, and indeed it would make several things harder for the user (such as needing to dictate how the camera moves during an attack, and making the animations for those attacks). I also don't like it because pixels.

No, it's not happening.
That's one crazy Spinarak.

Looks good to me. It's pretty much exactly how I would've done it.

That reminds me that the PC scene doesn't have a sound for picking up/dropping a pokemon.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024

No, it's not happening.

Good Screen!

For the battle scene, the main question isn't the zooms and other effects, but the full-body backsprites! Sooner or later you must add it for having the Unova Pokémon.

Good storage screen anyway. Please put a function that when the F5 or other command is pressed the hand goes orange that just move (deposit and withdraw in other modes) the pokémon without the menu, just like in official games.

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
I can't figure out the Gui of the traid thing.... (I'm terrible with graphics)

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I can't figure out the Gui of the traid thing.... (I'm terrible with graphics)
Did you mean "Trade" or "Triad"? Spelling is important here, because what you you just said was really very vague. There's the trade scene in Pokémon Essentials, but there's the Triple Triad as well.

Years
Nice redesigning work!
I'll be looking forward to the next update(Still using the old 24th December 2011 update xD), does it mean Touch-Screen and such will be added as well? Just to make the Starter kit a little more Modern Style? <<< Just a suggestion ^_^
But in overall, it's a huge transformation compared with the old GUI.

I don't actually really mind it, which style will be used. B/W style would look too since it's more modern styled(released in the year 2010/2011) in replacement of HG/SS style which was release back in 2009/2010 which is a slight different between those two and should be acceptable since there's a tiny different of 1 - 2 year(s)on both game releases.

If I had to choose, I would go for the HG/SS style. I have my reasons for it ;)

Last edited:

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
Did you mean "Trade" or "Triad"? Spelling is important here, because what you you just said was really very vague. There's the trade scene in Pokémon Essentials, but there's the Triple Triad as well.

Yeah, triad sorry, I keep getting that confused.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Nice redesigning work!
I'll be looking forward to the next update(Still using the old 24th December 2011 update xD), does it mean Touch-Screen and such will be added as well?
Sorry, it's been stated on multiple occasions that a touch screen will not be added, because it simply doesn't have a purpose on a normal computer. All it does is give you something to click and break the aspect ratio.

Maruno

Years
If anyone could find for me charsets for all NPCs in FRLG, that'd be great. A sheet of graphics is fine too. Preferably ones that don't require permissions. Alternatively, if anyone knows how to rip those kinds of graphics from the ROMs, let me know how and I'll do it myself.

Sorry, it's been stated on multiple occasions that a touch screen will not be added, because it simply doesn't have a purpose on a normal computer. All it does is give you something to click and break the aspect ratio.
Clearly someone can't tell the difference between a touch screen (using the mouse) and a dual screen (an extra display segment). ;) It's the dual screen that will never appear in Essentials, but a touch screen is a different matter.

Touch screen would certainly be appropriate for Essentials, since it's played on a computer and all self-respecting computers have mice. They don't usually have two (tiny) monitors, though, which is why the dual screen makes no sense being in a computer game. That's my reasoning.

Essentials already includes mouse support (how else can you move maps around to connect them together?), but it doesn't have the scripts required to make use of the mouse during the actual game. It won't have those scripts any time soon - they're really not necessary. It's not a "never", it's a "when everything else works" (and who knows when that'll be?).

Maruno

Years
So I came up with this design for the load game screen. The Pokémon are animated. What do you think?

Interesting point: I had to change how the game information is saved just so I could include the location name in there. You will absolutely need to delete your old savegame before even running the new Essentials - it'll crash immediately otherwise, and won't even let you start a new game. Worth it? Yeah, why not.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
So I came up with this design for the load game screen. The Pokémon are animated. What do you think?

Interesting point: I had to change how the game information is saved just so I could include the location name in there. You will absolutely need to delete your old savegame before even running the new Essentials - it'll crash immediately otherwise, and won't even let you start a new game. Worth it? Yeah, why not.

Omg So awesome :D Can't wait.

Maruno

Years
Please be aware that the attached is barely even a concept, and may well have nothing to do with the final version. I'm not sure how much of it I can replicate in scripting (I'm mainly talking about the bottom bar - the rest is straightforward enough), nor how effective the button highlighting will be. As usual, ignore the bizarre names and numbers.

With that said, it's the battle screen! The bottom bar looks rather cramped, but it does seem to fit. I wanted to include ball icons showing the parties, but they won't fit. The bottom bar will always have that green background; it's not a clever "match the battleback" thing.

Opinions?

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I like this concetp, it will be ok ;]

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
With that said, it's the battle screen! The bottom bar looks rather cramped, but it does seem to fit. I wanted to include ball icons showing the parties, but they won't fit. The bottom bar will always have that green background; it's not a clever "match the battleback" thing.

Opinions?
It's.. It's beautiful! I did take a whack at a battle screen before, but I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. I love what you've done here though, it's beautiful looking! What does the star mean, though?

Pikachuchu?
2ng4ys6.jpg

Maruno

Years
Yes, the star is shininess. It's not in the official games, but I thought it'd be a nice inclusion. It just about fits. As for Shadow Pokémon, I thought I'd make the grey panel a purple colour.

Now to figure out how to actually do it...

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
If anyone could find for me charsets for all NPCs in FRLG, that'd be great. A sheet of graphics is fine too. Preferably ones that don't require permissions. Alternatively, if anyone knows how to rip those kinds of graphics from the ROMs, let me know how and I'll do it myself.

Nevermind! Found it! ^_^
I'll share the link with everyone once it gets uploaded, okay?
Edit: It's uploading into my Dropbox right now. There will be an additional file I will include; an Extras folder, that will include more resources, and Platinum sprites! Look forward to it very soon :).

Extras.rar: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48415299/Extras.rar
GIVE CREDITS TO:
Dewitty, Bulbapedia.Bulbagarden.net, Nintendo, Chocosrawloid, Kymotonian, milomilotic11, and Neo-Spriteman. For the Neo-Spriteman's Resource Pack in there, if you use it. If you use the 160A sprites, give credit to Give credit to Aeonos and Mastermind_X.

And here's what you've been waiting for; 4th Gen Matt's Pokemon Resource Pack! Note: Give credit to these people:
RM2k3Kid - D/P Character Sets
Aeonos and Mastermind_X - Platinum Sprites and Arceus forms.
The Ghoul - R/S Music
sound-test.org - FR/LG Music
sound-test.org - G/S Music
sound-test.org - Colosseum Music
Ava - XD Music
PoKeMaKeR - For being cool and pointing me in the right direction for some music downloads.

Now, here's the link, but you will be able to use it one condition: You give credit to the people I told you to give credit to!

GET IT NOW! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!

About my opinion on the save screen: Nice, maybe you can also put an animated player overworld stepping forward?

About my opinion on the battle screen: NO WAY! Sooner or later you MUST put bases to have backsprites like BW and put Unova Pokémon. I thinks that you hasn't gave the right priority to this! It's is a really important thing that you need to work on! If is the case, start a discussion about it!

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
About my opinion on the battle screen: NO WAY! Sooner or later you MUST put bases to have backsprites like BW and put Unova Pokémon. I thinks that you hasn't gave the right priority to this! It's is a really important thing that you need to work on! If is the case, start a discussion about it!

There is not a single thing he "MUST" do. Maruno is working with Pokemon Essentials out of his own free will. He's doing the most work, and coordinating the project. He's the one that's taking to time out of his life to make our contributions actually mean something, and he's been the one engineering nearly everything that's been added over the past 5.1 releases. I'd say it's pretty much his right to decide whether he should or shouldn't do something at this point.

I'm all fore having essentials updated, but frankly, I'm perfectly fine with the direction Maruno is taking it. If you have a disagreeing opinion, I'd recommend making it an opinion and not a demand.

Maruno

Years
What you're basically arguing, FL, is that you want the full-oval base for the player's Pokémon, rather than the semi-oval as shown in my concept. Whether or not Gen 5 Pokémon are to be added is a separate matter not related to the battle screen.

We may as well have the discussion in this thread, since it's about part of the GUI redesign. I'll start.

The battle screen will be fixed, and not float around and zoom in/out depending on what's happening. I have attached a screenshot taken from Pokémon White showing what it would look like without all the camera-moving. Looks quite familiar, doesn't it? The back sprites and player base in BW are all in the same proportions as they are in previous games (i.e. twice as big as depicted in the front sprites/the enemy base). The player's base is mostly hidden behind the message bar, so you couldn't see it all even if it was there.

The alternative, of course, is to make the back sprites and base the same size as the front sprites/enemy base, but I think that looks bad because of how it mucks up the perspective. Making the enemies half as big is silly for obvious reasons - they would be smaller than the sprites in Gen 1!

As a minor point, even less of the player's base and the backsprites are visible over the top of the message bar in BW than they are in previous games (this could be tweaked, but only slightly). And frankly, the BW base graphics look rubbish compared to the artwork from HGSS (both are supposed to be grass).

That's my main argument against full-oval bases - that you wouldn't see them anyway, and any other arrangement looks bad. If you have counter-arguments, feel free to share them.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
There is not a single thing he "MUST" do. Maruno is working with Pokemon Essentials out of his own free will. He's doing the most work, and coordinating the project. He's the one that's taking to time out of his life to make our contributions actually mean something, and he's been the one engineering nearly everything that's been added over the past 5.1 releases. I'd say it's pretty much his right to decide whether he should or shouldn't do something at this point.

I'm all fore having essentials updated, but frankly, I'm perfectly fine with the direction Maruno is taking it. If you have a disagreeing opinion, I'd recommend making it an opinion and not a demand.
The case its that is a community project, isn't? And even if the project is an "only-man-project" if the dev wish to make more success or make a project better, the dev will follow the opinions and advices.

Yes, I agree with the most part of Maruno decisions and think that his is making a good project in general, but this is one of his major errors in my view (if isn't the major).

What you're basically arguing, FL, is that you want the full-oval base for the player's Pokémon, rather than the semi-oval as shown in my concept. Whether or not Gen 5 Pokémon are to be added is a separate matter not related to the battle screen.

We may as well have the discussion in this thread, since it's about part of the GUI redesign. I'll start.

The battle screen will be fixed, and not float around and zoom in/out depending on what's happening. I have attached a screenshot taken from Pokémon White showing what it would look like without all the camera-moving. Looks quite familiar, doesn't it? The back sprites and player base in BW are all in the same proportions as they are in previous games (i.e. twice as big as depicted in the front sprites/the enemy base). The player's base is mostly hidden behind the message bar, so you couldn't see it all even if it was there.

The alternative, of course, is to make the back sprites and base the same size as the front sprites/enemy base, but I think that looks bad because of how it mucks up the perspective. Making the enemies half as big is silly for obvious reasons - they would be smaller than the sprites in Gen 1!

As a minor point, even less of the player's base and the backsprites are visible over the top of the message bar in BW than they are in previous games (this could be tweaked, but only slightly). And frankly, the BW base graphics look rubbish compared to the artwork from HGSS (both are supposed to be grass).

That's my main argument against full-oval bases - that you wouldn't see them anyway, and any other arrangement looks bad. If you have counter-arguments, feel free to share them.
A separate matter not related to the battle screen, really? You said that is the main reason that you don't use BW pokémon:

In any case, Essentials will eventually have all moves, items, abilities and Pokémon from all 5 generations, EXCEPT no Gen 5 Pokémon - the only reason for this is that the back sprites for Unova Pokémon don't match the others (and no, the battle system isn't being revamped). I'm bound to get a lot of complaints about this, but there you are.

Yes, I have made ALL Unova Pokémon edited backsprite to work with the old system, but I agree that this look bad and isn't a good choice to use it (even thinking that this is better that nothing).

To make the BW pokémon to look well, the best option is something like this (isn't made by me):
s5gy39.png
vs%20minccino.png

Back