• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Coming Soon: Super Mario 3D World

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
460px-3dworld.jpg

Hm, so, this game was announced around June 11, and is set to be released to the Wii U around December 2013. The game follows a similar play style to Super Mario 3D Land, which combines the free-roaming gameplay of 3D Mario titles with the mechanics of 2D side-scrolling platforming games in the series. Four different playable characters are available in Super Mario 3D World: Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad.

If you'd like, there are screenshots of the game below (they're a little big):

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And of course, there's a new power called the 'Cat Power', that allows you to climb up walls, and even poles. You even run on all fours.

So, what are your first impressions of the game? Any hopes or disappointments? Feel free to discuss!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I know people are disappointed by this but honestly this is exactly what I wanted from 3D Mario, if not Mario 64 #2.

I don't care about the scope (even though Galaxy was magical), but if the level design and controls are great then sign me up. Galaxy's gravity mechanics got awkward and the controls were far from perfect, particularly in the 2D sections which were pretty awful. The level design was great but it can be surpassed. Mario 3D Land fixes the controls, though still not as good as Sunshine, and has better level designs to boot, and this looks like it further improves on it. (And it's 60fps!)

But the real meat is the multiplayer. Holy crap I'm gonna have so much playing it with others. It's basically the 3D version of the best Mario game (NSMBU), so I'm hyped as hell. This is gonna be one hell of a Christmas for me, with this game and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Platforming GOODNESS.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, I'm always excited for Super Mario Games, and this serves as no exception. ^^ The levels do look cool and vibrant, and, I'm excited about the playable characters. <3 Feels like Super Mario Bros 2 all over again. ^^

Although, I wish this game could of been on the 3DS. But no big deal; I think the Wii U would of been superior anyway.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
If it was on the 3DS it would've been just a level expnasion of 3D Land.

Judging from videos, the level design are much larger and essentially less linear, more in line with the Galaxy games rather than 64 or Sunshine but also more focused on platforming. There's obviously gonna be more variety as well in the levels now it's in a capable hardware. Which is perfect, and it's something the 3DS can't handle. Also multiplayer and 60fps wouldn't be possible on a 3DS. These actually make a world of differences.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It's extremely baffling that people are criticizing this game even though it's suppose to be a response to their criticism on NSMBU for being the "same old same old" by including SMB2 abilities, as well as Peach being playable rather than being the damsel in distress. Reggie was right, Nintendo fans are hard to please. I'm still excited to get this title because it's Super Mario Bros. 2 on steroids with multiplayer. I do wonder how the camera will work if one of the players moves way ahead from the others.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
I'm not overly enthused with this. Wii U NEEDS a true sprawling 3D Mario game. Mario Galaxy came one year after the Wii's launch. Mario Sunshine came out one year after the Gamecube's launch. Mario 64 came out one month after N64's launch. When is a legit 3D Mario going to Wii U? Two to three more years? Never? Nintendo is just shooting themselves in the feet.

With that said, I'd say my two favorite Mario games are Mario 2 and 3D Land, so I'll still buy and enjoy this game. It's just not what I want, nor what the Wii U needs. Overall it's disappointing.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
What's a "true" 3D Mario game?

I don't see anything "fake" about this. Don't you mean a Mario game with a large scope? Because that won't drive sales.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I really wanted something that was in the context of 64, Sunshine and Galaxy but I guess this'll do for now. I might get it, but that just depends on when I get a Wii U.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
It looks very pretty indeed. I don't get the flack Nintendo gets for not releasing an uber-powerful console. They went the all-power route before with the N64, but it had other flaws that prevented it from being competitive with the PS1.

Not a fan of playing with other characters than Mario, although the feature adds much needed replay value. It's interesting that with Mario I'm kinda anal about playing with Mario only, but I welcomed Sega's choice of different characters back when they released Sonic & Knuckles...

Back