• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Faint Attack or Bite

Which

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2013
Which one do you pick?

Faint Attack never misses, so if you have a double teaming a-hole, you can get a quick faint. But Bite has a great chance to make the foe flinch.

Personally, I go with Faint Attack.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Bite. Very rare to encounter double-teamers in-game (1 or 2-in-a-100)?. Competitively, they're even banned.

So... yeah, Bite. Usually, you'd have an Aerial Acer which could deal with majority of those Double-teaming abusers too. If none, well... that's why I bring Toxic XD

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
faint attack too. it never misses, it helps out if yer accuracy was lower or your fighting a pokemon who has heighten their evasion. Bite is only useful if the pokemon is quicker. I meant that flinching wise...bite is still a pretty useful attack overall.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm going with Bite because of the 30% flinch rate. That, and it has a wider distribution among Pokemon.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Bite. It's more vicious. I like it. And the chance of flinching is more useful to me than guaranteed hit, especially in early-midgame when I would be using those moves often. Later I usually favour Crunch or other higher-powered moves to cover my dark type pool. Since by then I'm severely abusing type advantages, I'm not much concerned with the additional effects.

Nothing to say about competitive because I don't do that haha. But in game, Bite. Primarily because it feels and looks more aggressive. (◡‿◡✿)

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Bite, moderate power with flinching rate. Chance of flinch is also better for me than sure hit, bite has 100% accuracy anyway, so it will need a bit of work to lower its accuracy.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I must say I've been thinking about this in the past... In Colosseum IIRC... whether to have Umbreon learn Faint Attack or stay with Bite...

I like Bite more. I like its animation more and flinch chance is good bonus.

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
faint attack

works well when opponents use double team and also when an foe uses a sand veil Pokemon. I don't prefer bite as I will be getting crunch after some levels. Also faint attack has better animation than bite

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I've always stuck with bite, I just can't pick a 'guaranteed' hit over the chance of causing an opponent to flinch!

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Generally Bite, but I wouldn't pass up Faint Attack if I have no other no-miss move on my team, and I'd still consider it even if I had one — depends on the user's species. Double Teamers are rare and are often specific trainers, but when one does finally come across one it can be a bothersome waste of time. Of course there's also X Accuracy for such times, but that relies on the monster I'm using being able to stay in against the odd time its foe does throw out an attack.

The choice of Bite or Crunch is a little more interesting, I think. One would do more damage with two Bites if they get a flinch, but that's not entirely likely.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
As far as in-game is concerned, I'd rather have Faint Attack because I find it more useful to hit those that spam Double Team/Sand-Attack than to flinch them. If it were competitive, I'd go with Bite, though Crunch outclasses it...but hey, that's not the question, lol.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I would go for Bite. The way I battle, I don't really need Faint Attack & if I go first, I can use Bite and have a potential flinch effect which makes them waste a turn. Also Bite's accuracy is already good enough. With enough luck, you can Bite and make them flinch until they faint, instead of using Faint Attack and having them attack you too for a potential crit or something and make your Pokemon faint. So my vote goes to Bite.

Years
I usually go with Bite but in the off-chance that I have to deal with bad accuracy loss, I'd wish I had Faint Attack. Tough choice. :(

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Bite. Very rare to encounter double-teamers in-game (1 or 2-in-a-100)?. Competitively, they're even banned.

So... yeah, Bite. Usually, you'd have an Aerial Acer which could deal with majority of those Double-teaming abusers too. If none, well... that's why I bring Toxic XD

Evasion Clause I think is only really upheld in the unofficial metagame, Smogon or Pokemon Showdown; and any clone of the two. Officially I don't think its as heavily penalized. I'd have to look up the official standings rules on the matter again, but I don't think most people still use it.

You do have evasion tactics in Sand teams though where the never miss may come in more handy than the 30% flinch, not to mention there are more attacks with higher damage than Bite.

Really, what do you need more on your team, flinch or accuracy?

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I prefer Bite, definitely (and Crunch later on if the Pokemon is able to learn it). I like to try and keep attacks in my movepool that allow for a chance of flinching or paralysis while also dealing damage.

I only play in-game though. So I'm not sure which is better to have for competitive battling.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Bite, because it has more PP and doesn't miss often. Evasion stat boosters are banned competitively so always prefer Bite.

Back