• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Simpsons Thread

pleb

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
Hey guys, do you watch The Simpsons? Post any stuff about The Simpsons here!

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I still do, and honestly, I'm not sure why anymore...
jpshakehead.gif

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I watch from time to time, but not nearly as religiously as I used to watch when I was younger. I'm of the mind that the show isn't as bad as it's made out to be, though it's certainly not as good as it once was. For my money, the best stuff the show ever produced were the first three seasons and if we ever get anything that's even half as good as that, I'd be happy. (and the newer seasons do pop out a gem once in a while)

d00bt00b

Genxo
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 1, 2013
I watch the Simpsons every night. It's probably my favorite show, but it has gotten worse over the past few seasons.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I could probably talk for hours on end about my love for The Simpsons, but only the first 9 seasons. (After that some separate show with the same title and characters and voice actors but a whole different soul spawned off from it. Let's not talk about it here. Shhhhhhh!) I won't, because I'm a bit short of time, but when this show was good - which was for the aforementioned 9 seasons - there was nothing quite like it. Barely a day goes by in which I don't quote something from it and, though my parents probably wouldn't like to admit it, I'd have to say that it did an awfully good job of raising me when I was a child! :P

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Yeah, basically what Mr. Cat Dog said, I'm in that boat, too. The rare gems are getting harder and harder to find (or just smaller and lack substance). Some Matt Selman outings are better than the Al Jean stuff, but not by much.

The last episode I really enjoyed was The Book Job, and even then I dunno how that'd fare upon rewatch. The number of unforgivable stuff, though, God, where do I start? And what's worse is that I'm not even that picky about the Simpsons. I just think that I'm really starting to notice how awful it's gotten, and frankly, it's depressing. This show used to be on top in it's prime. How the mighty have fallen indeed.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Alright, so everyone seems to justly hate the new stuff (although, there's more new stuff than old stuff at this point). What are some people's favourite classic episodes?

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Anything with Homer's mother is always going to be gold in my book. I feel like she's one of those characters you can't really do wrong and so I always look forward to any episode that touches upon her.

My favorite episode is probably Bart the General. I'm a big fan of those episodes that take what should be relatively minor incidents or experiences and blow them up into these much bigger spectacles. (which is why I loved the subplot in Rome-old and Juli-eh) Those are the ones where you can really have fun with the story and find inventive ways to make things more grandiose than they actually are. I also loved Bart Gets an F, Bart vs Thanksgiving, Homer's Barbershop Quartet and Das Bus. If I'd recommend any episodes of the show, it would definitely be those.
The last episode I really enjoyed was The Book Job, and even then I dunno how that'd fare upon rewatch. The number of unforgivable stuff, though, God, where do I start? And what's worse is that I'm not even that picky about the Simpsons. I just think that I'm really starting to notice how awful it's gotten, and frankly, it's depressing. This show used to be on top in it's prime. How the mighty have fallen indeed.
I think I wanted to like this episode so much that it ended up not sitting entirely well with me. I mean, Gaiman's cameo was pretty great and the concept alone sounds cool, but it felt way too artificial for my liking. It's one of those episodes that would have been so much better had it been made maybe ten years earlier.

The most recent one I've loved was probably To Cur With Love, it's wasn't incredibly funny, but it was pretty sweet and heartfelt for a modern episode of the show. I'm also not sure if I liked A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again or if that sequence at the start of the episode just really won me over.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I was never a huge Simpsons watcher/follower, and after what is going on twenty-four years, the creativity and possibility for original material has probably long run dry. It's had almost 530 episodes in its tenure on television and I'm sure a lot of it is probably repeating or stale topics and themes in general that are very muchly lacklustre. I think the last episode I saw that was somewhat good involved Lisa envisioning her future self in college (or the future in general?) or something to that effect. It was good, but I'm sure it's been done before.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I love The Simpsons , though I don't watch it as much as I used to I find time to watch the newer episodes here to there. I honestly don't understand all the hate for the newer seasons really. While I admit there's some of the newer episodes lack quality, but I still find alot of them entertaining and enjoyable. After 24 seasons you can't expect the quality to be as good as it used to be. The writers aren't gonna always have original ideas. I guess it's cause I grew up with seasons 13-18, I can appreciate the newer seasons a bit more. My dad introduced me to the show around 2001/2002 when we got cable cause I guess he figured we were old enough to watch it at the time. We'd watch the new episodes on Sunday and reruns on ABC every week day. As much as I liked the older episodes too, I was excited to watch the new ones every week. So I guess since those are the that made me really obsessed with The Simpsons as a kid, I really like them.

As for favorite episodes of the classic one, I would say "And Maggie Makes Three" or "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" are two of my favorites. "And Maggies Makes Three" has such a heartwarming ending and was one of the most touching episodes. "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" has such a funny twist to it that it makes it just really funny. I don't if this is called a "classic episode" but another favorite of mine is "Blame It On Lisa" . Apparently it got some controversy for the way it portray's Brazil, but it's one that really left me cracking up laughing when I was younger. It's from season 13 so I guess it more depends on what's your definition of "classic Simpsons" though I guess to most people it seasons 1-10. To me it's more season 1-15 but I guess people have their own opinions. I really like alot of the vacation themed episodes, one classic I like in particular is Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo. It's mainly cause of the reference to the infamous Pokemon episode , Electric Soldier Porygon, but i love the vacation episode because of the many ways Homer tends to screw things up in them.

As for newer favorites , I really liked the newest one Dark Knight Court. The whole parody of The Dark Knight Rises was rather funny imo, though it's far from my favorite of the modern seasons. I don't know if I have a favorite from the modern seasons, mainly cause I haven't seen alot of episodes from about season 19/20 and on though recently picked the show up with season 23 and there's a couple I really liked. "The Book Job" is definitely one of them cause it had a really great concept behind it and I thought Gaiman's appearance was great. I thought " A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again." was good in my opinion, cause of the way it shows an emotional side of Bart and has a great ending to it. "A Tree Grows in Springfield" is one I watched recently and thought it was enjoyable. Reading the Wikipedia article on it, I learned critic say the episode was a throwback to early Simpsons and I definitely agree. The whole focus of the episode with the whole town believing the tree in their backyard with "Hope" splattered on it and late turns out to be fake reminds me of the episode "Lisa the Skeptic". (If anyone gets what I'm saying. I don;t think anyone does.Watch the episode and you''l probably understand. And it one of those episode that takes a small problem and blow it out of proportions and makes it humorous. Yeah I could go on forever about the show. And yeah I agree the older season has a special charm to them, I still can find the newer one enjoyable as stated.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I used to watch the Simpsons every night on Channel 4 but after they only show repeats now I do not.
I do not mind the newer ones to the pre season 9 ones because they are just a good. My favorite ep has to be Marge V the Monorail from season 4 just because of that song in it.

one more thing I like Nelson the best.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
My favorite ep has to be Marge V the Monorail from season 4 just because of that song in it.
I named the big one Bitey.

It is a great, great episode. One of my favourites. Thank you Conan O'Brien.

I liked how some of the older episodes wold just suddenly burst into song. Stonecutters, Who Needs the Kwik-E-Mart?, See My Vest, Monorail, We Put The Spring In Springfield, The Garbageman... all great

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I used to watch the Simpsons a lot, today I still watch, occasionally, not as much as Pokemon though. I do watch em when nothing is on TV, and Simpsons are on, and I have the computer turned off.

I really love the Treehouse of Terror (Horror can't remember the ending) episodes.

Back