• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen R/S/E Vs. FR/LG

Did You Like R/S/E or L/F?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
R/S/E all the way. Ruby was my second pokémon game ever and I think they did some things worse with FR/LG after the Hoenn games. Like the music; the R/S/E music was really good, REALLY good as an improvement from gen II. The Kanto music in gen III was just a bad conversion of the old melodies into some form of round soundfont that sounded silly. The original tunes of R/S/E were much more interesting to listen to.

And the gameplay sort of felt slower in FR/LG. Plus, the region should have been edited a bit I think, to make it decently interesting after the dramatic and exciting nature of Hoenn. But no, they just put a splash of color onto the old maps, more or less. Ugh.

:> So yeah, I could go on but R/S/E is very much better I think.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I'm gonna be a bit biased here and say FR/LG. Back before I gave away my GBA:SP and my games, I only actually had 2 Pokemon games left, Blue and Leaf Green (hence why Kanto is my favourite region, despite G/S being my favourite games), as I'd let a friend borrow my Silver, which he lost shortly afterwards, meaning I never got see my Lugia again, and I somehow managed to lose my Ruby after like 2 months, so there wasn't really much variety when it came to Pokemon games. But yeah, this means I spent a lot more time with Leaf Green than I ever had with Ruby, and thus I've grown quite a bit more fond of that game, however it isn't entirely biased either.

While I really loved the story in R/S/E, I felt like the gameplay felt a bit short. And I'm not a third generation Pokemon hater, but the Pokemon in that generation just didn't appeal to me like the ones from the first two generations did, perhaps because the designs felt so different with the upgraded hardware, which in my mind kinda made them feel less like Pokemon. My biggest problem with the games was however the CONSTANT SURFING. URRGH. It may just be me who's really bad at Pokemon, but I felt like the difficulty of those games were significantly higher than any of the other games, which often lead to the lack of money. Lack of money = lack of repels. Lack of repels = ENCOUNTERS EVERY 2 TILES WHILE TRYING TO PROGRESS GIVE ME A BREAK!!! This is especially annoying when 3/4 of the encounters are overleveled Pelippers with Supersonic, and it just slowed down my progression in the games insanely much, as well as seriously annoying me >:((( But aside from those minor annoyances, I really enjoyed the games, and I'm really looking forward to some remakes :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
FR/LG, by far. As someone who started with Pokémon Red back in the '90s, I was glad that FR/LG was a faithful remake of the originals while taking advantage of new graphics and mechanics. Nowadays, I consider them to be the ideal starting point for someone new to this franchise and the most solid games overall. Never liked Generation III games (R/S/E) and respective pokémons. Not from my time, I guess...

Years
I've always found it tough to decide which set of games is my favorite, especially when you're lumping Emerald with Ruby/Sapphire (which makes sense, though). If we were talking about R/S by themselves, I would've had to go with FireRed/LeafGreen as my favorites, mostly because they were remakes that were done very well, and I managed to spend hundreds of hours on the game, long after I'd completed the story.

If you add Emerald, though, R/S/E would be my favorite of the two, and the one I chose in the poll. The Battle Frontier really got me excited in Pokemon again, plus the combination of the already good storylines of Ruby and Sapphire into one game made me love it that much more.

I pretty much agree with this, although I wasn't too bothered about Battle Frontier personally.

These are probably the 2 sets of games I've replayed the most times and this is undoubtedly the best generation so it's tough for me to have to disregard FR/LG.

I much prefer the graphical style of FR/LG though, that's the only criteria that has a massive difference in quality for me.

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Years
I vote Hoenn, I'm sorry, I just don't like Kanto. At all. Sevii Islands were nice but I still found the games to be incredibly boring, maybe because I didn't like the plot.

Sirfetch’d

RSE all day everyday baby!! Hoenn was the best region by far and imo always will be. It had the best Pokemon and was just beautiful <3

xboxmandude

Rom Hacker
Years
I think that FR is better in some ways...
The pixel art of FR is better.
The ability to battle trainers again whenever you want (VS Seeker)
I Felt that the game was bigger because it had the sevi islands

Anyway that's not the point...
The best pokemon game could have existed on the GBA
Nintendo didn't have the brains to do it.
That's why Rom hacks exist.
You see... In my opinion, neither of the Gen 3 games are completed.
All lack something.
The main thing that disappointed me about R/S/E was that there wasn't any VS Seeker.
Waiting for trainers to battle you again sucks.
FR lacks weather effects, it doesn't have a time system, moving pkmn.

I'd go with Ultra Violet
It's a hack of FR..
It's basically FR with all the pokemon... Some New maps, some new events, overall very good, could use better graphics...

Anguscr4p

3rd Gen Enthusiast
Years
R/S were new and exciting but felt very unpolished. That said, Sapphire was my first pokemon game and I played the crap out of it.

FR/LG were excellent remakes, and had much better looking maps and interfaces. I've never played the original games, so they were also new for me.

Emerald takes the cake though. An expanded storyline, the graphics from FR/LG, and finally a good postgame make it my favorite by far. It also brought back pokemon animations, which help the game feel so much more alive.

So I'd say the games got progressively better, with R/S and FR/LG both bringing good things to the table, and Emerald combined those good things into an awesome game.

Anguscr4p

3rd Gen Enthusiast
Years
R/S were new and exciting but felt very unpolished. That said, Sapphire was my first pokemon game and I played the crap out of it.

FR/LG were excellent remakes, and had much better looking maps and interfaces. I've never played the original games, so they were also new for me.

Emerald takes the cake though. An expanded storyline, the graphics from FR/LG, and finally a good postgame make it my favorite by far. It also brought back pokemon animations, which help the game feel so much more alive.

So I'd say the games got progressively better, with R/S and FR/LG both bringing good things to the table, and Emerald combined those good things into an awesome game.

Years
This is a little hard for me. R/S/E were when my interest in Pokemon was at its prime and my friends and I had wonderful memories playing the games. On the other hand, FR/LG had a lot more to do and the inclusion of the VS Seeker made it a really great game. I say both.

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
I like the sevii island quest in FR/LG.

Mackenzie

Say Somethin'!
Years
This is a tough decision. Though i have to go with r/s/e. The revamp in emerald, the expansive battle frontier drew me in (if its replay value were counting, emerald introduced quite a lot of facilities in the frontier as it opened up new opportunities in battling; multi-battle system actually won me over), as well as the introduction of the berry planting. Although i have to admit nintendo gave justice to the creation of pokemon fr/lg and that it was a great remake (much better than hg/ss despite gsc being my most favorite pokemon version), I would choose rse over it.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald gave us a new type of story (which has since made it to a trend in Pokemon games), gave us new Pokemon, gave us time-based events, and gave us even more interesting mechanics, such as the Mach and Acro bikes, or the berries found across the vast region. (Oh, did I mention the trumpets? Love em.)

Fire Red and Leaf Green gave us back what many wanted again, the old style of games, no clock-based events or grow-able berries, access to old Pokemon almost impossible to get otherwise, and giving back that old feeling of Gen. one while still maintaining the feel of a new game.

Truly, both are masterpieces, but, because of the various new features that Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald (especially Emerald) give to us, they beat Fire Red and Leaf Green quite easily. This is of course, only opinion.

(Also, maaan, Emerald, whole ton of features not even R/S could give us.)

tnfsf11

I vote Hoenn, I'm sorry, I just don't like Kanto. At all. Sevii Islands were nice but I still found the games to be incredibly boring, maybe because I didn't like the plot.
Same here, I didn't like the original R/B/G that much & FR/LG weren't that different story-wise so I didn't enjoy them as much as R/S/E...
But I shouldn't expect much, like others said here it was the first remake so we shouldn't expect it to be the best, it was cool playing with first gen pokes in 32bit colors but aside from that the game wasn't that amusing. However I liked the Sevii Islands part a bit, six islands were too much but it was fun searching for the stones for Bill's machine so I can get to Mewtwo. ;)
I liked Kanto better in G/S/C, I don't really know why maybe it's for nostalgic reasons? :P

Anyway I voted for R/S/E & I hope they remake them soon! ^_^

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Years
Same here, I didn't like the original R/B/G that much & FR/LG weren't that different story-wise so I didn't enjoy them as much as R/S/E...
But I shouldn't expect much, like others said here it was the first remake so we shouldn't expect it to be the best, it was cool playing with first gen pokes in 32bit colors but aside from that the game wasn't that amusing. However I liked the Sevii Islands part a bit, six islands were too much but it was fun searching for the stones for Bill's machine so I can get to Mewtwo. ;)
I liked Kanto better in G/S/C, I don't really know why maybe it's for nostalgic reasons? :P

Anyway I voted for R/S/E & I hope they remake them soon! ^_^

Hopefully after X and Y. I forgot about the gem parts, I haven't played LG in a loooong time. Too bad you can't do the mew glitch.:( Oh, and the silph co. was annoying and made me want to chuck my gameboy against a wall.

Years
I'm going to say Leaf Green; not because I feel it's the better designed game. Leaf Green was the Pokemon game I spent ages playing, my first one and the one that was shown to me. When I tried to buy Emerald instead I got sent a broken copy. Having never actually completed the game; got to the Elite Four on a ROM. I'm saying Leaf Green, due to the nostalgia involved.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
I think this poll is really no contest. I LOVE Kanto. But The Hoenn region is just beautiful. Plus the secret bases were alot of fun.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
FRLG, because Kanto is my favorite region and the fact that you can fight the E4 twice. Hoenn was really cool, though, and I loved battling Steven in emerald.

Years
Since Hoenn introduces new Pokemon unlike FRLG, I'd choose RSE. However picking one over the other does no justice to the choice left out IMO because both RSE and FRLG are great games.

Back