• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen WHY NINTENDO WHY

Years
The games have enhanced features when played on a DSi or 3DS, which is why they have region-locking.

It's because of additional features those two systems have which the DS and DS Lite don't, which is why there's no region-locking when played on DS or DS Lite.

You can still link up with foreign language versions if playing on the latter two.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm pretty sure every game since 2010 have been region locked when played on the DSi or above. Its to keep international buyers from bootlegging the copies from what I've been told.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I'm pretty sure every game since 2010 have been region locked when played on the DSi or above. Its to keep international buyers from bootlegging the copies from what I've been told.

This reason exactly! International buyers could make a humongous profit if these games weren't region locked!

Back