• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Most Difficult Gym

The Most Difficult Gym ^_^

• Rock type gym

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Fighting type gym

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Electric type gym

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Fire type gym

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Normal type gym

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Flying type gym

• Psychic type gym

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Water type gym

• Total voters

Granzen

Pokefan
Years
Hey my friends i make topic
"The Most Difficult gym" by the puzzle, trainer, Leader or anything :)
I'm waiting for your opinion and don't forget to reply

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Oh boy, I had trouble with mainly two gyms in Hoenn. Norman and Winona.

Norman was difficult even with a fighting type on my team and I'm not even sure why. His darn Facade attack was too strong, I guess. I eventually learned how to beat him though.

Winona was always tough, mostly because of Altaria. It wasn't weak against anything I had and most of the time killed most of my team before I could drop its HP.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Norman was ridiculously hard for me as I don't generally use Fighting-types. I spent what seemed like hours on his Slaking.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I think it might be because I always seemed to lack electric types in Emerald, but in that game (not Ruby or Sapphire) Juan often had been pretty difficult for me mainly because of his Kingdra. But not including that I suppose it would have to be the twins, Norman, or Winona. I can't really remember who was the hardest; I think it depended on my playthrough and what my team was.

Anguscr4p

3rd Gen Enthusiast
Years
If you picked Treecko Wattson's Magneton will destroy your team unless you picked up Geodude or Makuhita.

But in general, it's probably Norman, especially in R/S where his Slaking had Counter and Focus Punch. You were damned if you did, damned if you didn't.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2016
Psychic Pokemon are hard to beat for the most pat, for me once I got to the Psychic gym in Leaf Green I had to really think about tactics.

Years
I always seem to have a little bit of trouble with Brawly, but that's usually because I'm too stubborn to train more than one Pokemon that early in the game.

Overall, I'd say that the most difficult gym is Tate & Liza's in Mossdeep. They aren't terribly difficult themselves, but just trying to get to them in the gym and facing a large number of trainers on the way is a challenge in itself- one that I never look forward to.

Years
Ugh in Emerald I caught a Mightena and Absol and trained them to Lvl 45 for the sole purpose of battling Liz and Tate. Stupid earthquake is so overpowered. That Absol is still part of my team now. But man, i dread that battle everytime i play through...

Emerald_Fire

(Insert Espurr meme here)
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2014
Liza and Tate, full stop. They are fairly easy to beat in Ruby or Sapphire, but in Emerald, they are virtually impossible without a good team (AKA at least 1 dark-type and maybe your own psychic). They will destroy your team if you chose Torchic.

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I remember having troubles with Flannery...Heck, even if I picked Mudkip, I still had some problems with her, but smaller ones. Same goes for Wattson.

Oh, and Norman was pretty annoying as well. He still is, but...

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Norman in Hoenn. God was he frustrating. There was hardly's no places to grind since everything was pretty much done by that point. His Slaking was the only annoying member of his team though, the others just added to the frustration. :(

Bobith

Tossin' balls since '99
Years
Liza and Tate were the bane of my existence back in the day. I still hate solrock and lunatone as a result of their torment.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I've never had too much trouble with the gyms, but Norman did prove a challenge to me. That Vigoroth...

Sirfetch’d

Norman was the toughest and I had Blaziken. My issue was I was pretty underleveled and his Slaking was just wow.

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
Psychic type. beacause their weakness is psychic so it becomes difficult to land super effective moves.

Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2022
The only ones I've ever struggled with would be Wattson and Juan. I solved the Wattson problem by grinding Grovyle until it learned Leaf Blade, but Juan's Kingdra gets me every time.

Back