• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen brb riding my torchic

Are HMs a Thing of the Past?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
Even if the riding feature is exclusive to an area it could be fully implemented in a future game, just like the follow me feature. Remember Amity Square?

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I don't think anyone could really ride a Torchic... just saying.

I hope this is something that paves the way to not having HM's... somehow. I can't stand them, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the Pokemon community feels the same. They're outdated and need to go. The way the 5th gen handled them was a step in the right direction, only needing them for optional side-quests. I want to see GameFreak do away with them completely.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
My very first thought was that HMs are finally gone. (And it's still what I think, actually.)
As in, instead of having stupid unnecessary moves, Pokemon can have the same abilities, but in an innate fashion. (Any Pokemon capable of Surfing could do so without requiring an external move or item or whatever. The capability of a Pokemon to do something in the field relies solely on its species.) I do believe Gogoat is an example of this, if it's not just some tacky rentable one or whatever.

It'd just be the biggest shame if this were something limited to only Gogoat and that particular city. So much wasted potential.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
HMs will probably remain in gen 6 because of two reasons:

>The only upside to removing HMs is freeing up move slots. It wouldn't get rid of the idea of having HM slaves. Need to move a boulder? You'll need something that can do that. Need to surf? You'll need something that can swim. Fly? Something that can fly. Flash? Something that can light up. You're in an even worse situation if these abilities are limited to 1 per Pokemon because then you'll need to constantly swap in order to get to hard-to-reach places. If Pokemon can have multiple abilities like this (like Wailmer both being able to swim and being strong enough to push boulders), then that's your gen 6 HM slave right there. The only difference is it would have moves of your choosing.

>Map accessibility. Let's assume that Yayakoma is the early-game bird and you catch one. You can now fly across the map at will, but...why would the developers allow that to happen? If the towns are blocked off until you discover them on foot like with previous games, then there's no point in using the ability at all until about halfway through the game - close to when you'd get Fly. And if the map is fully accessible from the beginning of the game then you're fully able to zip from town to town and not indulge in any of that boring crap in between. Except you'd still need to backtrack on foot anyway in order to battle the trainers and get money and experience from them.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years

>The only upside to removing HMs is freeing up move slots. It wouldn't get rid of the idea of having HM slaves. Need to move a boulder? You'll need something that can do that. Need to surf? You'll need something that can swim. Fly? Something that can fly. Flash? Something that can light up. You're in an even worse situation if these abilities are limited to 1 per Pokemon because then you'll need to constantly swap in order to get to hard-to-reach places. If Pokemon can have multiple abilities like this (like Wailmer both being able to swim and being strong enough to push boulders), then that's your gen 6 HM slave right there. The only difference is it would have moves of your choosing.

>Map accessibility. Let's assume that Yayakoma is the early-game bird and you catch one. You can now fly across the map at will, but...why would the developers allow that to happen? If the towns are blocked off until you discover them on foot like with previous games, then there's no point in using the ability at all until about halfway through the game - close to when you'd get Fly. And if the map is fully accessible from the beginning of the game then you're fully able to zip from town to town and not indulge in any of that boring crap in between. Except you'd still need to backtrack on foot anyway in order to battle the trainers and get money and experience from them.

You actually make sense, a lot of people don't get that the HMs are the way they are to stop people from reaching parts of the game before they actually should, no-one views it from both a technical and plot standpoint, so thanks for acknowledging that.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019

I think you're not thinking outside the box here. You're limiting yourself to previous game standards that might no longer apply with the removal of HMs.

To your first point, the general idea is that Pokemon could know HMs without actually having them in the game or learning them by use of a HM. I'll call this their "ability" for explanations-sake. If a Pokemon is a Water type, then it should naturally be able to surf and get us where we need to go. Same goes to any Flying type or whatnot. Now of course, that's not to say these Pokemon have to be limited to only one type of "ability", just like a Pokemon can learn more than one HM.

Second point, these "abilities" could be 'locked' or unavailable until hitting certain points of the game, just like HMs would be. You've mentioned this yourself. To me, it makes plenty of sense and this is something that doesn't need to change. I'm not seeing the problem there. The idea behind this is that you don't need to have Pokemon LEARN HMs and take up TM slots, thus actually be of use in battles and not just as HM slaves.

Hope you were able to understand that easily lol.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I think you're not thinking outside the box here. You're limiting yourself to previous game standards that might no longer apply with the removal of HMs.

Possibly, but we won't know for sure until more info is released. At the very latest we'll know when the full game is out. Anything until then is purely speculation.

To your first point, the general idea is that Pokemon could learn HMs without actually having them in the game. I'll call this their "ability" for explanations-sake. If a Pokemon is a Water type, then it should be able to surf and get us where we need to go. Same goes to any Flying type or whatnot. Now of course, that's not to say these Pokemon have to be limited to only one type of "ability", just like a Pokemon can learn more than one HM.

Second point, these "abilities" could be 'locked' or unavailable until hitting certain points of the game, just like HMs would be. You've mentioned this yourself. To me, it makes plenty of sense and this is something that doesn't need to change. I'm not seeing the problem there. The idea behind this is that you don't need to have Pokemon LEARN HMs and take up TM slots, thus actually be of use in battles and not just as HM slaves.

I think I understand, and from what I gather our opinions differ solely on the matter of HM slaves. Being able to use the abilities without learning the moves would allow the player a little more flexibility when it comes to building a team that suits their personal tastes while also being efficient, but on the other hand it'd make some HM slaves look even more appealing what with their having tons of abilities and no longer just being limited to 4. Limiting the number of abilities that a single Pokemon can use would be extremely complicated, almost like having a secondary move system.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I could easily see it involving a permit of some sort, or maybe something more unofficial-sounding like "It's too dangerous to fly without five gym badges. You need more experience as a Trainer"...that could work.
I also REALLY WANT a flying mini game. Or, and this would be cool- some sort of city that you can only get to by flying. Like, a floating city. That would be unbelievably epic.

In all honesty, if we had to give up the bicycle in order to gain the ability to ride Pokemon, I'd be fine with it. The bike, while a classic for trolling the Professors, is getting a bit old.

Branellope

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
Rollerskates.
Also, surfing and flying should just be natural for a Pokemon. Maybe other HM "abilities" could come when a Pokemon reaches a certain level. For example:
"Panchum grew to lv20, it can now push boulders!"
"Staravia evolved into Staraptor! It can now fly you around the region!"
"Crocanaw evolved into Feraligatr! It can now carry you across water!"

Some Pokémon could be taught the skill.
"Weavile learned how to smash rocks!"
"Rhydon learned how to carry people across water!"
Pokemon like Scyther and Makuhita could just always have the skills to cut and rock smash.

The fact that Pokémon can't have HMs when they migrate makes this plausible. It doesn't mess anything up then.

Years
I SO called this, just saying. This is going to be SO EPIC though. Imagine riding a Tauros through the steppe. I am doing that right now. (Imagining, not riding.)

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like a major problem with this is that you're now required to have a Pokémon capable of being able to be rode if you want to use this sort of ability. It's pretty similar to an HM, but now it's kind of worse. Having physical limitations imposed further than what HMs already produce for what you need to carry on your team for things like riding just seems like a bad idea to me. I mean maybe if it's just a gimmick for the town they showed you riding on then I'd be totally fine, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on having a specific Pokémon to travel on if it were to replace the Bike or something.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I want to ride my... Rollerblade?

It looks like gone are the days of the bicycle, which is odd considering the Tour de France and whatnot. Unless these rollerlades are the new running show.

You can see that the bottom of the character's boots have wheels and also, the way they "run" as seen some of the footage looks like they're rollerblading.

may_p4_2.jpg

Guy

just a guy
Years
It looks like gone are the days of the bicycle, which is odd considering the Tour de France and whatnot. Unless these rollerlades are the new running show.

You can see that the bottom of the character's boots have wheels and also, the way they "run" as seen some of the footage looks like they're rollerblading.

may_p4_2.jpg
The bike might still be there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rollerblades replaces them.

We see the protagonists running in regular shoes though, so the rollerblades do not replace the running shoes.

Merged your thread in here, by the way. :)

blue

gucci
Years
I wonder if the cars we saw will have any practical use? It was in a few of the shots in the trailer and a couple of images.
may_p4_1.jpg

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I doubt they'd have any significance for travel really. If anything, having a car would make getting around the region way too easy. Maybe if they were used very rarely for travel that couldn't be done on foot just to get from a short point A to point B that'd be cool, but definitely not just for general usage.

Back