• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the strangest food you've ever tried??

Years
What is the strangest food you've tried? Where did you buy it/try it? Was the experience worthwhile to you?

Recently I picked up a durian from HMart.. its skin is notoriously spiky and painful to touch, so I had to hold it by the little plastic handle thingy that came with it. I left it in the dining room for a few days, and finally decided to cut it open. Inside there were large seeds surrounded by edible yellow flesh, which was mushy and creamy~

I thought of a mango upon tasting it, only much mushier and creamer. It was also very very sweet; sort of like a caramel, but with hints of chives flavor, so think of fruit that tastes like caramel and chives and that is what durian tasted like.. to me at least. Please share your stories! :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 5, 2018
I actually rly like eel??? Chicken liver isn't that great. Hm... I won't eat most canned proteins tho...? I'm weird about food

Years
Unagi is one of my favorite foods. :P I've never had eel any other way though, and I also really dislike chicken liver... the texture is so strange to me.

User19sq

I loved tempura-fried shrimp sushi the moment I tried it.

I don't get to do a lot of things... ._.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I had escargot once. It was pretty alright. I wouldn't have it on a daily basis, but I wouldn't mind eating it again.

Years
One of the other managers at my work is a hunter, so he brings in interesting meat for us to try every once and a while. Haven't tried any of the rabbit or deer that he's brought in, but he brought in bison burgers for New Years', and I liked them a lot more than I thought I would.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Moldy cheese out of a trash barrel. I was young and didn't know things went bad, and I didn't want to waste food so I ate it, and eeewwww.
I've also tried lots of weird plants. I've had aloe vera leaves. Brought one into school once xD

Years
Gator for sure. My first time trying it was when a...might have been a neighbor, I don't remember, came over with a few pieces and had us try it. I thought it was some kind of odd chicken before I was told what it was. "Oh."

And then the next time I tried it - years later - I got it at some stall at the waterfront near where I used to live, during a Fourth of July celebration. A bit pricey, but worth it.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I think it'd have to be ox tongue. The idea of eating a tongue deterred me from trying it at first but it's not that bad. Another notable mention is chicken feet - our family eats it quite often so it's not strange to me but a lot of people have told me that it sounds bizarre. It's actually really good though! Would recommend.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Subjective, some of things mentioned here are common in Asian cuisine so I don't consider them strange. But for me, gator as well, or shark (flesh, not just the fin). I'm glad to have experienced them but I didn't think it was that good and I still prefer beef or chicken or any of the animals we've domesticated for their more delicious flesh
Dog food

long story

I was curious
same

my mom tells it to all my friends and family at every opportunity

no regrets though because that was how we found out those dog treats were salted - that's why my dog was so addicted to them she was tasting seasoning for the first time in her life

Years
I'm not very adventurous with food,so I've not tried much. I've had some exotic fruits though like lemonade fruit, custard apples and chocolate fruit. Lemonade fruit is great, custard apples are okay (if you don't get cyanide poisoning from the seeds) but chocolate fruit tastes like devils ass crack and is very misleadingly named. The ice cream made from it is just as bad.

I've been told I have to try a variety of Filipino dishes by Chura and I am terrified.

Spiff

love child
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 30, 2023
rattlesnake jerky. it's pretty damn good but sorta hard to find

Years
I actually thought of the durian when I saw this thread. But I haven't eaten it, only smelt it (no comment there). So, for me, it's probably...a meat paste sandwich. It was an accident, I'm a vegetarian. I haven't eaten that many weird things. But I find meat eating weird, but I'm not going to rant about that here right now.

Back